HMSHost Interview Questions & Reviews

2.0

Snack Bar Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at HMSHost in March 2011.

There was an over the phone, face-to-face then a call back. After that was accomplished you had slide show and video training with questions and an orientation.

Interview Questions
    • None of them were difficult or unexpected its basically the same as any other job interview and went smoothly   Answer Question
    They told me they like my personality, work ethic and the way I handle myself and asked if I would like a position working for 8.00 and hour and then after 6 months I would recieve a raise. They told me the benefits I would be recieving upon working for them and was told of how the orientation process would be like and they asked if i would be able to complete it.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Honolulu, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, NC

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at HMSHost in August 2011.

Amazing HR Generalist with excellent understanding of the business and it's expectations

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 6 days - interviewed at HMSHost in June 2012.

I had filled out an application online, I recieved an email Tuesday, for an interview Wednesday. I went to the interview at the MSP airport where I met with the manager. I was asked alot of STAR questions. He liked me alot and told me ' I want her to hire you, you have eveything we need and want. ' He then sent me to the room where the lady was telling us about the drug, background and fingerprint test, and the orientation date. I went the next day ( Thursday ) to do my drug test across the street at the clinic and fingerprint for my badge at the airport. That went pretty fast, I was in and I was out. I was told those two test could take up to 7 business days to come back. But I got a call back on Tuesday, and I start orientation next week Tuesday :))

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you felt you had bad service, as you being the customer?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where you felt you had a great service done, as you being the customer.   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at HMSHost in April 2012.

I went to the Concessions job fair in hopes of getting in front of a hiring manager in regards to the management positions advertised online. I was told to go to the company website, because they had a lot of positions available. Within two weeks I got a call for a one-on-one interview. I felt a little rushed because I literally saw other candidates lined up in the bookstore waiting their turn. I was called back for a second and final interview a week later. It was a very detailed conversation with a lot of questions, but gave me a good understanding of the business.

I declined because I had a way better offer from The Paradies Shops. I would have to negotiate just for 40K, and I was making more than that at my previous job. Their benefits started within 45 days (for management!), their off days are split, except for when you get your weekends off, and they wanted a minimum of 50 hours a week. Better offers were on the table, woth more comprehensive benefits packages.

Bartender Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HMSHost in April 2012.

After attending a job fair at the College Park Convention Center for airport jobs, I was contacted by a recruiter to interview. After interviewing with a manager one on one, I was offered a position in one of the new restaurants opening May 1st. I was instructed to take a drug test and be fingerprinted. However, that is where the process stops running smooth. I submitted to all of the tests approaching three weeks ago now and when I try to check the status, I am given the ole "don't call us, we'll call you" from virtually everyone in human resources. I understand they have a huge influx of new hires due to the number of people they needed to fill positions with. I just wish they would take the time to check the status of individuals who inquire. It's easy for them to say wait for the call because they are on someone's clock earning a paycheck. But for someone who has been out of work and diligently seeking it for the past three months, this hurts. Sill looking for my call to orientation to begin. Would love for it to be this week or early next... fingers crossed.

Interview Questions
    • What are the greatest challenges presented as a bartender from a customer service perspective?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at HMSHost in April 2012.

I went to the Atlanta Airport Job Fair, which was conducted outside the airport in a trailer. After waiting in line for about 40 mins, I sat down with the manager for one of the concessions, and she explained that the new terminal will be opening May 16, 2012, and they are looking to fill 700 positions. She asked for my resume and begin to interview me. I felt really comfortable with her. After the interview I was offered the position of cashier. I was escorted to a room where I had to fill out paperwork. After the paperwork was filled out, I was instructed to go take a drug test at the AeroClinic inside the airport. I had 48 hrs to complete the drug test. After the drug test, I was told to go to the DOA to get fingerprinted(criminal background check). After the process, I was told it should take 5-7 business days to complete the process, and they will call me. It's only been a week since this happened, so now I am waiting for a call to get my orientation date.

Interview Questions
    • What is your greatest accomplishment in life?   Answer Question
    • Name a time where you were asked to do something against policy?   Answer Question

Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bloomington, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, MN

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at HMSHost in April 2011.

The interview didn't really seem like an interview, you knew you would be hired on the spot once they give you the job application.

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Bethesda, MD
    Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at HMSHost in September 2011.

I was first called on the phone and asked to schedule an interview. I went in and spoke with four different interviewers, one at a time. They mentioned that they expected the entire interview process to take about a month and that there would be a second round of interviews before a candidate was chosen. My overall perception of the people was that they were professional and would be a good team to work with. I accepted another job a couple weeks after this interview and hadn't heard back from them at that time.

I would suggest that other candidates find out what area of their business the position is on the phone prior to the interview if it is not obvious from the job posting and then research that particular area of the business on their web site. It wasn't entirely clear what the job was buying but the posting said food industry and I was under the impression that it was for their consumable side but it ended up being for their apparel side.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think are the three most important strengths for this position?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about yourself and your background.   Answer Question

Shift Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at HMSHost in September 2011.

In order for you to be offered an interview, you must fill out an application via the internet. Once selected, you will asked to come into the employment office for an interview; expect not to be the only person for the interview, there is a "scheduled" crowd of potential employees. Managers and Senior Managers did an excellent job on staying on schedule with potential employees. Once called in for the interview, the managers were straight to the point. They explain the position(s) they were interested in hiring you for, its hours, its pay, its benefits, and the company's history. After the explanation, the interviewer asked basic interview questions such as experience in retail, warehouse and/or food and beverage, hours of availability, previous supervisory positions if held (preferred), "what would you do" questions, and personality questions. NOTE that any supervisor or manager positions required a two interview process; however, if all potential supervisor or manager interviewees are presented and early, interviewers will more than likely elect to perform a second interview the same day. And this will allow them to inform you whether or not you right for the job.

If hired on the spot, you will be asked to perform light paperwork consisting of your I-9 tax form, Airport Security badge application, and other paperwork requested by your hiring manager. NOTE that two forms of ID must be present in order for you to begin processing the same day, be fingerprinted in the Department of Aviation Security office, and etc. If you do not have two forms of approved ID, the hiring process will take longer than two weeks. Once you fill out all the requested paperwork in the employment office, you will be asked to take your badge paperwork to the DOA and you will be fingerprinted.

After being fingerprinted, take your paperwork back to the employment office and you will be instructed on what to do next.

You must take a drug test 24-48 hours after being hired. I would encourage you to do it after your interview. LabCorps is the mandated drug test site located at South Fulton Medical Center. Results will be sent to the employment office. After your results from the drug test and fingerprinting office comes back and you have been cleared, you will be called to come in and take your ID picture pending a customer service online class or security threat assessment. These classes are taken based on your ID classification and job position. This typically happens the day before the orientation. You MUST have your ID to get into orientation. AND you can't do it the day before due to orientation beginning before the DOA office opens.

On the day of orientation, you are paid based on your hourly wage. This, for me, was scheduled 8am to 5pm, but because everything went smoothly during orientation, the class was allowed to leave at 3:30pm. Orientation is two days long pending your position. On your last day of orientation, you are released to your unit (store/warehouse of employment) to attain your schedule.

This was roughly about a two week process. A HUGE piece of advice is to always ALWAYS ALWAYS have two forms of identification on you at all times during the hiring process; state issued ID, passport, birth certificate, and/or a social security card are all valid proof of IDs. All employment office staff and human resource staff members are all polite. Do not mix HMSHost staff with airport staff. I did have one encounter with a DOA office staff member who was rude in telling me she could not hear me. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for HMSHost? What is your reason for leaving your current employer or what was your reason for leaving your previous employer?   View Answer
    • What are looking for in the position?   View Answer
    What is to negotiate? Coming from a company that offer very low pay but high responsibilities and over worked staff, I wasn't up for negotiations. HMSHost offered me an "award."

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at HMSHost in March 2011.

It was conducted in a cramped trailer outside of Hartsfield Airport...that should have made me turn away.
    The person that interviewed me was actually very nice, but that all changed once I accepted the job and started working for her.

Not available