HNI Interview Questions

Updated Sep 10, 2014

2.4

Industrial Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Muscatine, IA

I was flown from a different state to interview at Hon/HNI/All Steel in Muscatine , IA. All of my travel arrangements were taken care of by HNI (plane ticket, rental car, hotel room). I was also given an expense form to expense my mileage to/from airport, and meals while traveling. I was very impressed how hospitable they were in these regards. My interview was with 6 different people, ranging from HR to engineering. The times were well scheduled, and the morning flew by. I was also scheduled and given a tour of the facility (All Steel). The interview sessions were not very tough, although I'm always confident in my resume when it pertains to my work skills. I can talk about my projects all day, don't lie about what you can do on your resume and you should be just fine. Everyone was very friendly, nobody was trying to ask any 'got ya' interview type questions. They asked a lot about my future career goals, where I see myself in 3-5-7 years etc. Be prepared to answer those, although you should be in an interview, that's why you're trying to get a new job, right?

Interview Questions
    • One of the HR members asked what a common misconception is about me. That question took me back a little.   View Answer

Engineering Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at HNI.

Job fair, to on-site interview with three representatives. All interviews were 30 minutes long, with much of the time discussing unrelated questions. Although, this may be that I clicked with all but one out of the 5 people I talked to during my four interviews. Overall I related very well with most of them for one reason or another so the interview was a breeze.

Marketing/E-Business Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Muscatine, IA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at HNI in May 2014.

Received phone call from HR and had a short pre-screening interview over the phone. Was asked to come in for a 4 hour interview with multiple members of the department. After that interview was asked to meet with the President, which took about an hour. Very friendly, very professional. Great experience overall.

IT Internship Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at HNI.

Phone interview. very laid back. The lady I interviewed with was very kind and made me even more excited to earn the position than I was before.

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Muscatine, IA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at HNI in March 2014.

filled out the application on their company website and sent my resume. Got an email about two weeks later to schedule a 30-minute phone interview. Very basic questions about what got me interested in IT and what my goals are in a professional setting. Second interview came about a month and a half later, I was invited on site for a three individual interviews. Two of the interviewers were in IT asking about IT experience and technical questions while the other one was with HR asking more behavioral questions. Fairly relaxed interview process. Interviewers were comfortable to talk to and I didn't feel intimidated at all with the questions asked.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you saw something unethical going on in your workplace and failed to address it.   View Answer
    no room for negotiation. sorry hagglers.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Muscatine, IA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at HNI.

Spoke with company at the career fair where I set up an on-campus interview. Following the interview, I was asked to attend an on-site interview where about 20 interns rotated through 3 recruiters each (one HR, one technical, and one previous experience). We then went on a facility tour. I was contacted a week later with results. In general, the employees were nice. Some did not seem genuinely interested in speaking with intern candidates, though.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you... dealt with an ethical issue, worked in a group where someone didn't pull their weight, least favorite and favorite courses, etc.   Answer Question

I have received offer from them twice of the 3 times I went through the interview process and declined both times. The first time I declined I was because I was interviewed by an older man who was very rude and made some very sexist comments during my interview. The second time I declined because I received a better offer elsewhere.

Engineering Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at HNI in November 2012.

Had a first round interview at a job fair. The second round interview was located at their headquarters in Muscatine, Iowa. The interview process included 3 one hour interviews. Had to present a project that I worked on that represented the position I was applying for. The interviews were really laid back. They were in a conversation format.

Interview Questions
    • Why should the company hire you over all of the other interviewers?   Answer Question

Training Facilitator Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at HNI in July 2012.

Internal interviews- you get an email or your supervisor does and then informs you of being accepted for an interview. You show up for the interview wait for the person interviewing you at the entrance. Someone meets you takes you to an office and holds the interview. For the professional positions you may have a multi person interview.

New member interviews- you go to the facility that you were scheduled to interview at. Meet with the group lead for the area, they walk you around asking you questions to determine if they like you or feel you would be a good fit. Then give you an offer letter if you get their approval.

Interview Questions
    This is the pay you will get if you agree sign on the line.

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedartown, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedartown, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at HNI in April 2012.

Very intense interview process. Entire interview lasted the better part of a day, included interview with direct manager, technical manager, as well as would co-workers from the different engineering groups and departmental managers within the plant. Was taken out to lunch by would be manager and tech. manager. After lunch tasked with watching a process for thirty minutes then given roughly fifteen minutes to gather thoughts to prepare a ten to fifteen minute presentation of possible improvements. After this it was round two of the interviews where different employees from other functional groups as well dept. managers interviewed. Needless to say it was very thorough. The hiring process was different as they requested a copy of your last W2, so that they could make a proper offer, I did not particularly like this part. Either way it was a reasonable offer I felt so I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • The presentation after watching the process was by far the most difficult.   Answer Question
    Had to provide a copy of the W2 from the last company I worked for. Ethically I did not like that at all but was left with little choice as the plant I had been working for was being shut down.

Supply Chain Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Muscatine, IA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at HNI in March 2012.

Very professional yet flexible. They allow you to be creative with you answers and not feel pressured. Questions were all relevant and the interviewers were verify friendly. They had three different panels of interviews. First was academic background, second was based on you and the culture of the company and last was job related questions. Highly recommended.

Interview Questions
    • Situational based questions such as describing a time where you have had to work as a team and what your role was. Be ready to answer situational and behavioral based questions.   Answer Question