HNTB Companies

HNTB Companies Interview Questions

Updated Nov 14, 2014
Updated Nov 14, 2014

Senior Engineer Interview

One day interview, meet the department manager, operations manager, business manager, office leader, other team members in the department. Not too focused on the technical questions but more on the interpersonal skills. Talk about experiences and expertise, take questions from team members in a casual format. Negotiate salary a few days after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about some details on a few projects - roles, accomplishments, challenges.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at HNTB Companies in April 2011.

I sent in my resume through a friend that worked at the company. About a month later I as contacted by the Electrical Engineering Manager about coming in for an Interview. It was all behavioral questions. Very short and quick interview

$16/hour

Project Controls Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at HNTB Companies in April 2011.

You can only apply through HNTB's website www.hntb.com. Human Resources will call you and do a screening interview. If you area candidate they will forward your information to the hiring manager for that position. If the hiring manager sees you are a fit they will call you in for an interview. If you are a fit, they will call you for a second interview to meet with the hiring manager's department lead. If all goes well, they will call an offer you a position and then send out a follow-up letter detailing the offer.

Interview Questions
    • 1. So tell me a little about yourself.
      2. Why are you looking (or why did you leave your last job)?
      3. Tell me what you know about this company.
      4. Why do you want to work at HNTB?
      5. What relevant experience do you have?
      6. If your previous co-workers were here, what would they say about you?
      7. Have you done anything to further your experience?
      8. Where else have you applied?
      9. How are you when you’re working under pressure?
      10. What motivates you to do a good job?
      11. What’s your greatest strength?
      12. What’s your biggest weakness?
      13. Let’s talk about your salary. What are you looking for?
      14. Are you good at working in a team?
      15. Tell me a suggestion you have made that was implemented.
      16. Has anything ever irritated you about people you’ve worked with?
      17. Is there anyone you just could not work with?
      18. Tell me about any issues you’ve had with a previous boss.
      19. Would you rather work for money or job satisfaction?
      20. Would you rather be liked or feared?
      21. Are you willing to put the interested this Company ahead of your own?
      22. So, explain why I should hire you.
      23. Finally, do you have any questions to ask me?
        Answer Question
    Easy. They offered me more money than I was asking.

Proposal Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shirlington, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shirlington, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at HNTB Companies in July 2010.

Interview process was conducted by two upper management professionals from Kansas City (HQ) and presented a professional and organized methodology and proposal process.

Interview Questions
    • Who was actually going to be my Manager?   View Answer
    It was simple and straightforward. The hiring managers wanted me to accept the position.

Architect III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at HNTB Companies in June 2010.

The interview process was challenging, but fine. Everyone that I spoke with was thoughtful and discreet with my circumstances at the time. They were excited about the office and the company.

Interview Questions
    • Name some critical issues in producing design using BIM in a design/build project?   View Answer
    It was good.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at HNTB Companies in June 2010.

the office was set up nicely with pretty receptionist. but the person who did the interview did not seem too interested. they had big projects but it may have not been very interesting.

GIS Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at HNTB Companies in March 2010.

I was initially called for a phone interview. The boss was happy with my answers and background, so he scheduled me in for a 1 on 1 with him in person. This went well so about 20 minutes into the interview he gets his team together in a room, and has them interview me to see if I had chemistry with the team.
    The types of questions were basic "how do you do this", and "how to you tackle multiple projects". There were three candidates interviewed. The team voted on who they would want. The votes were split 3 to 1 so I received an offer the next day. (the vote was done anonymously and not in front of the candidates). The whole process took about 3 days- two weeks from interview to first day.

Interview Questions
    • What are the drawbacks to setting up a Geometric Network?   View Answer
    • What skill do you want to learn while you are here, and what skill do you think that you are best equipped to teach us.   View Answer
    The negotiations were fairly flexible. The director and my manager met with me after the group interview and asked me of my salary expectations. My expectations were a little higher than what they offered, however a compromise was met. i took an hourly rate that allowed for 5 hours of weekly overtime (due to the fact that I would be working that much anyway). This put me to well over my salary expectation. To my knowledge I was the only one that they made this concession for.

Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at HNTB Companies in March 2010.

Spoke on phone for a screen. Got invited for a 1:1 . Questions were about experience and background.

Interview Questions

Better offer elsewhere more in line with my aspirations

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfield, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfield, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at HNTB Companies in December 2009.

2 interviews and two persons

Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at HNTB Companies in August 2009.

My interview consisted of a lunch meeting with several managers from the local office. I have a follow-up interview at the local office to meet more senior managers within the organization. The lunch meeting went well, with little focus on my professional experience, but more on my personal and academic background.

Interview Questions
    • Here are the three position we currently have open. Which one would most interest you?   Answer Question