HRL

HRL Interview Questions

Updated Oct 17, 2014
Updated Oct 17, 2014

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malibu, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at HRL.

First was a phone interview with my would-be supervisor and my would-be project manager. It went well so I was scheduled an onsite interview.

It was a day-long interview with 12+ people changing location every 30 minutes. That means you have to make a good first impression 12+ times. If you make it to the onsite interview they already think you're qualified; its more of a chance to make sure you get along with the team. Even lunch felt like an interview as I sat at a table with 20 people (overlooking the Pacific Ocean) and tried to answer questions with a full mouth.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too unusual. No brain teasers or trick questions. Just questions about my resume, experience, and interests. The standard "What is your 5 year plan?" came up, but I had prepared an answer.   Answer Question
    I was offered my asking salary, so didn't feel comfortable negotiating.

Engineer - Vendor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at HRL.

After a little back-and-forth via email, I arranged for a phone interview with the section and technical leads of the module that put up the job req. After the phone interview, quickly arranged for an on-site interview for the following week. The on-site interview involved the HR consultant, a panel of the other engineers in the module, a tour of the facilities, and the lab director. Interview was very relaxed and balanced between technical and behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were straightforward and were not incredibly difficult. 2 examples:
      1. In a spin-coating process, is the material thickest at the center or at the edges?
      2. How do you deal with upper management's unrealistic expectations?

Answer Question
    Did not get to negotiate.

Research Staff Member Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at HRL.

Had a half-hour phone interview where I was asked some technical questions about my resume and was told about the position. Three weeks later I had an onsite interview consisting of nine thirty minute one-on-one interviews and an hour long presentation. interviews were technical with most questions geared toward my own research, with a few behavioral questions. I was asked a lot of good questions during the presentation and was very impressed in general with the caliber of questions and the level of hospitality throughout the process.

Interview Questions
    • Asked to describe in detail an original research proposal including broad goal, applications, and specific steps required to bring the proposal to fruition. Was asked many specific questions about my research, and a few behavioral questions such as "describe the most difficult problem in graduate school and how you overcame it. Be specific."   Answer Question
    No negotiation, very generous offer.

Vendor - Materials and Device Fabrication Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malibu, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at HRL in July 2014.

I had a thirty minute phone interview, first. It actually turned into a 45 minute phone conversation with two of the lead researchers at HRL in the sensors and materials lab. They asked me to talk about my previous research and what experience I had with characterization devices like XRD, SEM, FTIR, and NMR. There were no technical questions. The phone interview concluded with me asking questions about the company and workplace.

Two days later, I was called in for an on-site interview. It was three 30-minute interviews with three different people. Again, there were no technical questions. I was mostly asked to speak about my past research experiences.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked how I would respond to an overwhelming amount of samples to be submitted for characterization.   Answer Question

Senior Engineering Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malibu, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at HRL.

I had to produce and present a Power Point presentation lasting about an hour to the Senior Staff

Interview Questions
    • They asked me about my extensive system integration tasks some of which I could not discuss due to their Proprietary nature.   Answer Question

Development Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at HRL.

The interview was about 2.5 hrs and they asked questions relevant to job position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malibu, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at HRL in January 2014.

Applied online and got contacted with the manger one month later. The phone interview took around 40 minutes and got the on-site interview promise. The progress went very slowly during holidays. And one month later the on-site interview was scheduled. The details of interview plan was given out just two days before my flight across the America. In total , seven people interviewed me, including the manage, the section manger , the director, and other team members. It started from 9:00 AM and ended 3:30 PM as described here before. One-hour seminar before lunch. Got half-an-hour tour of their lab.
    Nice people and beautiful place.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malibu, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at HRL in May 2012.

Had a series of one and one or one on two interviews throughout the day. Also gave a PowerPoint presentation and fielded questions. Was very positively impressed both by the quality of the questions and interviews. Much of the time was spent advertising HRL to me and giving me plenty of time to get my own questions answered. Also went on tours of the facilities and so forth.

The interviews were fun, friendly, and casual, but still mentally taxing. It ended up being a very long day, but people were very understanding.

Interview Questions
    • Describing my past research, understanding theirs, and so on.   View Answer
    Received an offer letter, but have not yet decided whether to accept it. They are being very accommodating by giving me an unusually long amount of time to decide.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malibu, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at HRL in April 2012.

Applied to two related positions via the company website. Was contacted a few days later by the hiring manager. A phone interview was set up with the hiring manager and another scientist. A little over a week later I was invited to their facility for a group interview. The interview lasted from 9 am to 3 pm with an one hour lunch. In total, I met with 13 employees. The hiring manager then followed up with a phone call a few days later explaining their timeline for hiring and told me that they would contact me within two weeks. The company never got back to me. A month and a half later I emailed the hiring manager and he explained that one position had been filled and the other was still available. I told him I was no longer interested.

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malibu, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at HRL in August 2010.

1 phone interview and then on-site. 9 runs interview during on-site, 45 minutes each.