HSBC Bank USA

152 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Valuation Control Interview

Valuation Control

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at HSBC Bank USA in June 2014.

Interview Details – This role is for Credit Derivative and Bond. Three major market, CBM, Credit Derivative.
About 70 people in total. Valuation control for different product. Close to trading floor. Have interaction with traders and other valuation control groups. Get access to all kinds of products: CDS, Bond, Interest Rate Derivatives (Exotic and Vanilla)
Day to day life: Before 2pm. P&L analysis for previous day. After that, work on regular projects or ad hoc projects.

First: 3 persons – more technical.
Went through the resume first.
Technical question about CDS, Bond.
What is CDS?
T-bill and T-Note, what’s the difference?
Bond premium’s relationship with bond price?
What’s the news for this market?
How do you see the US economic?
Lots of introduction about the department and organization

Second Person
Go through resume
Talked about the career path of this role: can be trader, can be valuation control, can do stress test.
What’s your goal in two years?
Talked about the future about the Credit Derivative market.

Last person
Tell me something about you beyond the resume
Go through resume
Brain teaser: what’s the degree between 3:30 and why?
Why do you want this job?

Interview Question – Tell me something about you beyond the resume
What is CDS?
T-bill and T-Note, what’s the difference?
Bond premium’s relationship with bond price?
What’s the news for this market?
How do you see the US economic?
What’s your goal in two years?
what’s the degree between 3:30 and why?
  View Answer

Senior Vice President Interview

Senior Vice President
New York, NY

I applied through other source - interviewed at HSBC Bank USA in May 2013.

Interview Details – If one is highly experienced HSBC will hire you as they are desperate; lack of talent in Audit and short staff. Telephone interview with HR and the hiring manger; before the offer met the manager.

Interview Questions

• None, the hiring manager was not a regulatory technical subject matter expert. No audit related question though it was an audit role.   Answer Question
  • My request for a sign on bonus.   View Answer
  • My question - If US wishes to follow UK benefit pattern, consider this - The UK companies offer other benefits like car and cheap mortgage loans.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – HR tyried to pin down an amount I wanted; I put the ball in his court and told him that I trust him to get me the best. It was not as good as I wanted but he came back with a final offer so I ahd to accept.

Branch Relationship Banker Interview

Branch Relationship Banker

Interviewed at HSBC Bank USA

Interview Details – Make sure you search all bank related questions online, because they will catch you off guard. I personally think "be the true self" would be enough, but a little research will help, and the bank environment will shape you to a better fit.

Interview Question – How do you deal with an angry customer?   Answer Question

RBWM Summer Intern Interview

RBWM Summer Intern
Buffalo, NY

I applied online - interviewed at HSBC Bank USA in May 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online. The process includes two interviews. The first one is a phone interview (30 min), mainly behavior questions. The second is face to face interview (1 hour). HR people are really friendly. You need to do you homework. Make your research about the company.
questions are about leadership, team work, communication

Interview Question – How do bank make money?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None. I was interested in getting the experience. The bank was generous though.

Relationship Manager Interview

Relationship Manager

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at HSBC Bank USA.

Interview Details – Had 3 rounds of interview, first with recruiters and then hiring managers onsite and final round with senior managers onsite again. Overall the interviews were not very tough and asked some basic questions. The impression of the company is its great culture. From recruiters to management, people are all friendy and easy to get along with, at least this was what I felt when walking into the office for interviews.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative/Teller Interview

Customer Service Representative/Teller

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at HSBC Bank USA.

Interview Details – Phone Interview request almost a day after you apply for the job. After you pass the phone interview, you get to be invited for an one-to-one interview. The whole process until the one-to-one interview request took me about 2 weeks. Unfortunately, I was disqualified for the position but it was not a bad experience.

Interview Question – On the phone interview, they ask your prior cash handling experience from your previous work.   Answer Question

Latin America Merge and Acquisition Summer Analyst Interview

Latin America Merge and Acquisition Summer Analyst

Interviewed at HSBC Bank USA

Interview Details – Applied online at HSBC career, the process took three weeks. I got an email informing me that I needed to schedule an interview the next day. I was interviewd by an hispanic associate the next day. He was very nice on the phone and interviewed me in Spanish. I didn't get invited to the super day cause I think this position required someone with substantial technical skills.

Consultant Technical Project Manager Interview

Consultant Technical Project Manager
Buffalo, NY

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 months - interviewed at HSBC Bank USA in July 2013.

Interview Details – I had 2 interviews, one was very technical due to the requirements of the position. the other was more general, related to project management topics. There was an extended time, 4 weeks, after the interviews due to more candidates being interviewed.

Interview Question – I was totally prepared for the interviews and was able to answer all of the ?'s. I would say that both of the interviewers were very easy to relate to and the questions that they asked were not difficult or unexpected. They were both more interested to find out about my background and experiences.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was working with an Agency and the contract rate was already set.

Very Easy Interview

Premier Relationship Manager Interview

Premier Relationship Manager
White Plains, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at HSBC Bank USA in April 2014.

Interview Details – Slow process, Very sloppy questions, interviewer with absolutely no knowledge poor skills in how to interview. Really not happy how HSBC is screening people to hire, looks like they are not reading the resumes and instead of looking for talent they are looking for cheap labour.

Very Easy Interview

Associate Vice President Interview

Associate Vice President
Mettawa, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at HSBC Bank USA in December 2012.

Interview Details – Phone calls, no in-person reviews.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Interviews for Top Jobs at HSBC Bank USA

Worked for HSBC Bank USA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at HSBC Bank USA interview questions and advice. All 152 interview reviews posted anonymously by HSBC Bank USA employees and interview candidates.