HSBC Holdings Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 21, 2014
273 interviews

2.9

Compliance Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at HSBC Holdings.

I applied online and a few weeks later received an email inviting me to interview. I participated in a phone interview a few days later. Interview itself was about 45 minutes long and consisted mostly of behavioral and competency questions that probed my basic knowledge of finance as well as my understanding of what exactly HSBC stood for.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think the financial world will look like in 2050? Be specific.   Answer Question
    • Identify a financial scandal of the past few years and explain what happened. How do you think this scandal and its fallout have impacted HSBC?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at HSBC Holdings.

Campus Interviewed: Write a code for sorting a array.

Thats it !! Then HR Round

Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HSBC Holdings.

HR Recruiter in Buffalo scheduled a window to call me for phone screen which I confirmed. Waited for the full 2 hour window next day, no call. I sent an email asking to reschedule. Several hours later I received a call back with a new time for the next day. The next day came and no call from recruiter, so I called both her office and cel numbers, left messages. Several hours went by and I finally received a call back. Did a brief (but now unscheduled) phone screen, and set up an in person interview for the following week. The interview went great, it seemed that the hiring manager did not want it to end and after 50 minutes they began telling me about vacation, benefits, working from home, perks...super good sign right? I was confident, qualified and now a good match with manager's personality. The next day the same recruiter called me and asked me how it went. After letting me gush about how great I thought it went, how I really clicked with the hiring manager and was really excited about taking the next step, the recruiter proceeded to tell me the manager was going to continue interviews as I did not have the specific experience they wanted. HUH? I was totally shocked! I asked her to please reach back out to the hiring manager for more specific feedback as the reason she just provided didn't make any sense based on the interview I had. However, I was ready to accept/move on - I understand that's just how the game goes sometimes. But then recruiter then told me she would like me to interview for another position along the same lines but at a level lower. Ok, I was willing to take a cut for a foot in the door at HSBC, so we discussed the salary and agreed on a range. I then had two more in person interviews on separate days, the last with a Sr. Manager. After a grueling 45 minute psychological examination, the Sr. Mngr asked me what salary I was expecting. I told them the figure already agreed upon with the recruiter. The Mngr then told me the "correct" range which ended up being so far out of the ballpark I was speechless! No negotiation could take place as we were that far apart. And it's really hard to negotiate salary during an interview when you haven't been offered the position! The Mngr was understandably aggravated with the recruiter and the interview ended abruptly. Two days later I received the generic rejection email without a word of apology, explanation OR follow-up from the recruiter. One of the worst experiences I've had with any potential employer. I was extremely excited about working for HSBC but if this is how they treat people there, looks like I dodged a bullet.

Interview Questions
    • Salaray range issue should never have happened. Poor recruiting work.   Answer Question

Credit Risk Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Salinas, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salinas, CA

interviewed at HSBC Holdings in January 2009.

Basic interview process, nothing too difficult. Mostly analytical.

Interview Questions
    • How do you do multi tasking? mostly behavioral questions   Answer Question

N/A Interview

be professional and direct

Internship Interview

1, background questions
    2, what's your advantage and disadvantage?

Global Markets Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed online - interviewed at HSBC Holdings.

I received an email to take the online test. Few days later, I received another email asking for phone interview with two people. Few days later, I was invited again for the superday. The process was quite fast and efficient. At the superday, we had to do a group case study. A research paper was given and had to read within 40 minutes and give a group presentation for 10 min, with another Q&A session for 20 min.

Interview Questions
    • Can you tell me when you demonstrated leadership?
      Why did you change majors?
      What do you know about HSBC?
        Answer Question

Compliance Interview

The recruiters at HSBC don't know what they're doing. I received multiple calls from multiple different people on the same job. Once I interviewed, I was moved over to another recruiter, who never gave me a status. Then a few months later, received a call from a new recruiter who thought she had talked to me, but never did. Then told me she'd set something up, but I never heard back. When I followed up, another recruiter said the job has been filled. Umm ok. Worst recruiting program ever.

ECM Summer Internship Interview

Online Application, Vertal test, Phone-Intervew, Assessment Center

Operational Risk Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Brandon, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Brandon, FL

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at HSBC Holdings in January 2012.

I received a call from some recruiter called Ascendo located in the Miami area about the job in Brandon (kind of weird). Anyway this recruiter got me an interview and the interview went really well. HSBC seemed like an okay place although they are not located in the best part of town and their offices are rather old and dingy.

RED FLAG - The woman I interviewed with told me their office was servicing existing mortgages and that HSBC was not acquiring any new loans. In other words the business is not growing. An HSBC employee posted HSBC is selling off all the mortgages on their books to exit the mortgage business and the Brandon office will be closing in 2 years. Yikes! This does not surprise me considering all the negative press surrounding HSBC's weak anti-money laundering program. I feel kind of glad I was not offered the position. HSBC does not sound like the place to work.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question - apply current experience to mortgage industry   Answer Question