HSBC Holdings

Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate, Global Markets Interview

Associate, Global Markets
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at HSBC Holdings in June 2014.

Interview Details – I interviewed in London (UK) and was asked:

Online Application/Candidate Questionnaire Online Numerical reasoning Aptitude tests Interviews Assessment Day (including open ended case study).

Prepare before hand if your not familiar with online assessment tests for aptitude and verbal reasoning, they are difficult. Personally i did use (the ultimate career interview) app from App Store.

Interview Question – The Global Markets Director asked a variety of of questions about expected "best in class" margins for their line of business and seemed to expect detailed knowledge in this area even though this level of inside knowledge was not mentioned as a prerequisite and did not appear particularly relevant in the job description provided.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Entry Level Contract.

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at HSBC Holdings in January 2011.

Interview Details – First stage is an online application shortly followed by online testing - numerical and reasoning. Then the next stage telephone interview - mainly competency and motivation based. Finally the last stage is an assesment centre which includes a written numerical test, a group exercise, and 2 interviews - one technical/motivation interview and one competency interview.

Interview Question – Discuss the causes of the financial crisis. Discuss a time you were unable to keep to a deadline. Why?   Answer Question

Graduate Scheme Technology Interview

Graduate Scheme Technology
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HSBC Holdings in April 2014.

Interview Details – Submitted application online.
Got contacted by recruiting company about two weeks later.
Had to submit online numerical test within 24h.
Had a telephone interview about my interest in technology and how technology can affect HSBC work (10min) with recruiter.
A week later, had a telephone interview with similar topics plus motivation (about 45min).

I thought I didn't pass, but they called me on friday of the same week and book me a place for the assessment centre the next monday.
The AC is all day long, but the first test is a numerical reasoning test (on paper) and if you fail, you have to leave immediatly. Minimum score to pass is 15 out of 20.
Sadly I failed that.

Interview Question – I am good at numerical tests, but was really nervous for the AC and I failed.
This is not the most important part, but if you fail here you are out, so PRACTICE A LOT!
  Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at HSBC Holdings.

Interview Details – Standard competency questions. Telephone interview seemed like it was outsourced to an recruiting company, but was helpful enough when asked about the structure of the internship and the following stages.

Interview Question – They will ask about core competencies that they state on their website.   Answer Question

Retail Banking and Wealth Management Interview

Retail Banking and Wealth Management
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at HSBC Holdings in April 2014.

Interview Details – Firstly, Online form from the website then Online Test- verbal and numerical then Phone Interview- behavioral interview and competency based questions. it lasted around 60 minutes, the interviewer was very nice. The last stage was the Assessment Center: Role Play, Report (time constraint), Group Exercise, One-to-one interview and at the end self evaluation.

Interview Question – No technical question, just behavioral interview and competency based questions. No unexpected questions. Very fast assessment center from 9am to 3pm. mangers and recruiters were very nice.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
London, England (UK)

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at HSBC Holdings in June 2013.

Interview Details – 3 interviews ,pretty quick process, 3/4 week background screening. On boarding is very lacking.

Interview Question – Clearly HR is completely disconnected from hiring managers. None of the important questions HR stressed got asked during interview with hiring manager. A lot of technical questions were asked but none of the skills is needed on the job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – If you have good skill and confident, you can negotiate good deal but it doesn't mean you will use those skills on the job

Data Management/Procurement Interview

Data Management/Procurement
London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at HSBC Holdings in February 2012.

Interview Details – Onboarding process is mostly offshored and is poor. Typical questions about strengths and weaknesses, situations when you excelled or was faced with a difficult situation should be expected

Interview Question – questions on technical skills related to job   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Expect a lower salary band than other tier 1 investement houses

Very Easy Interview

Global Procurement Strategy Interview

Global Procurement Strategy
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at HSBC Holdings in January 2014.

Interview Details – First applied was sent an online assessment. Passed the assessment, then received an email saying as i didnt bother completing the test I would not go through to next round! Then I called to complain about their system not working, then they arranged what they called an interview, but what really was a psychological examination and sarcastic then had some type of extreme formal telephone psychological interrogation that they called an interview. It sounded like they were clearly looking for reasons NOT to hire you. But thats not an interview, also they asked allot of personal questions. Sorry but my whole view of HSBC as a bank is totally changed now. They called to talk after but i was just not interested anymore. Remember an interview is a two way process, your also assessing them.

Interview Question – They try and get into your head and inflate anything that may remotely be a sign that your human.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Far too many personal questions, and the interiew smake you feel like your waiting in line at mcdonalds. its all black and white with HSBC nothing is realistic questions. I think every major company has the same problems, too big to see their problems.

Corporate Banking Interview

Corporate Banking
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HSBC Holdings in March 2014.

Interview Details – I have just passed the online assessment which consists of first personality test- pretty simple just giving you cases and asking you to choose what you would do for particular situations. then second test was a numerical one- mainly statistical.

I have arranged a telephone interview next week, does anyone know what sort of questions are going to be asked for corporate banking graduate scheme? its for April start.

Interview Question – nothing particularly hard, I think mainly have the three value in mind- being open dependable and connected when answering questions.   View Answer

Retail Banking and Wealth Management Graduate Programmer Interview

Retail Banking and Wealth Management Graduate Programmer
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at HSBC Holdings.

Interview Details – No cover letter needed, then online assessment tests, then behavioural phone interview (make sure you know HSBC's core values: open, connected and dependable), then a one day assessment centre held at HQ. They are looking for people, who are really enthusiastic about HSBC and show outstanding leadership qualities. Educational background does not matter much.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you have influenced someone   Answer Question

Worked for HSBC Holdings? Contribute to the Community!