HSBC Holdings

Updated Feb 25, 2015
Updated Feb 25, 2015

2.9

Exotic Trading Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at HSBC Holdings.

2 rounds.
    First round: I have met 2 guys lasting 2 hours: one IT (45mn) then one Trader (1h15).
    Second round (1week later): I have meet the 2 same guys and their managing director

Interview Questions
    • If you are long Best Of. Are you short or long correl?   Answer Question

SummerResearch Interview

I applied online – interviewed at HSBC Holdings.

Standard competency based questions. Why HSBC? Why this particular division? Teamwork example. A bit on previous work experience. The question I liked least was: Give an example of a time you stood up for what you believe in and encouraged others to stand up as well - it's good to have an example in advance.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time you stood up for what you believe in and encouraged others to stand up as well.   Answer Question

Summer Work Experience Interview

You apply through like the normal HSBC platform and then you submit your CV so that you wait for the HR to respond to you. Then I think it is around 1 to 2 weeks later. The HR will contact you to arrange a telephone interview with you. and because of the time difference, it was really early in the morning for me and the interview went pretty smoothly.

RBWM Graduate Scheme Interview

I applied online – interviewed at HSBC Holdings.

applied online, got to pass two online test( numerical & logical) one by one, two weeks later got the telephone interview, which you can choose the time you like. It went through for 30 minutes. The interviewer ask a lot of things about your understanding of the programme and about yourself. So better prepare your motivation and strength.

Interview Questions
    • why HSBC?
      why this programme?
      your understanding of this programme.
      the core values of HSBC.

Answer Question

Securities Service Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at HSBC Holdings.

Applied online, a whole load of open questions. They were very efficient, invited to telephone interview one week after completing online tests. The telephone interview was intense, I was asked to finish in 30min, no matter how far I go through the questions. They emailed me 10min after the telephone interview that I have met the requirements, and invited me to the assessment centre one week later. Since I got an offer from somewhere else, I withdrew the application and hope this give others some chance.

Interview Questions
    • What will the world be like in 2050, and why does this connected to HSBC?   Answer Question

Procurement Placement Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at HSBC Holdings in February 2015.

The assessment day consisted of 2 interviews - value-based and competency-based. The value-based interview consisted of questions regarding what procurement is all about and the three main values of hsbc - opennes , being connected and doing the right thing. Then I was set in a group of six other candidates and we were given a ase study and had to reach a consensus within 45 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • - example of persuasive, negotiation skills
      - organising time
      - making a difficult decision
      - working under pressure
      -improving a process

Answer Question

Retail Banking and Wealth Management Interview

After the initial application you are invited to take two tests depending on the position. Afterwards if successful you get a competency based phone interview and then an assessment. The assessment consists of various interviews as well as a report and a group exercise

Spring Insight Interview

I applied online for the Spring Insight Programme at HSBC in November. The process was quite simple.There was no cover letter, although there were several questions which in essence acted as a cover letter because they asked about things you would typically put in your CL. I heard back from them in the beginning of January and was invited to an interview. The interview itself was pretty easy and was entirely competency-based. The interview was the final round of the application process.

Interview Questions
    • There were no unexpected questions whatsoever. As I said, the interview was 100% competency-based.   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Fill the online application, there are 5 short essay questions:
    1. Please detail three non-academic achievements / extracurricular activities you are particularly proud of and give your reasons why.
    2.Please describe your motivation for wishing to work for HSBC and your chosen business area. Outline the key skills you possess that would make you a suitable candidate. In your answer we will be looking for clear evidence of motivation.
    (250 words max)
    3.Please describe a situation when you actively challenged someone about a decision or an action you felt was wrong for the wider team's success. (Describe the situation, your actions and the end result).
    (250 words max)
    4.Tell us about a time when you invited or encouraged others to offer a different perspective or opinion in order to deliver a better solution. (Describe the situation, your actions and the end result).
    (250 words max)
    5.Please explain what self-development opportunities you've taken advantage of during your university years to make yourself more employable in the job market.
    (250 words max)
    Then there was online numerical test, relatively easy.
    Telephone interview last around 30 mins; some questions I rmb:
    Why global market? why HSBC?
     What the world will look like in 2050?

HSBC's values?
    Career goal in 5 years time?
    recent financial news that interest you.

Investment Banking Analyst Country Sector Advisory Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at HSBC Holdings in January 2015.

I applied online and got through straight to an assessment centre and subsequently got offered a summer. What we went through in the AC:

1. Numerical test
    -relatively doable, 3/5
    -watch your time though
    -(if I'm not wrong) 20 questions referring to diagram data like the usual numerical tests except they are haphazardly ordered, for example one diagram may have 4 questions which are not asked consecutively.

2. Case Study
    -given fictitious companies to evaluate and compare. Objective is to propose one company to acquire
    -prep time then presentation to 2 assessors, after which group discussion and final recommendation
    -write a brief memo with the final recommendation

3. Competency Based Interview
    -asked many teamworkish questions, the usual, why HSBC, values etc

4. 2 Technical Interviews
    -current events which they will then relate back to how it would affect the investment banking division. eg how will this affect companies and clients
    -tend to ask in depth questions, make sure you know the subject matter well
    -valuation methods
    -IPO and M&As
    -the last interview was the grilling kind-i.e. the kind trying to put you on the spot. eg brainteasers