HSBC Holdings

Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate, Global Markets Interview

Associate, Global Markets
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at HSBC Holdings in June 2014.

Interview Details – I interviewed in London (UK) and was asked:

Online Application/Candidate Questionnaire Online Numerical reasoning Aptitude tests Interviews Assessment Day (including open ended case study).

Prepare before hand if your not familiar with online assessment tests for aptitude and verbal reasoning, they are difficult. Personally i did use (the ultimate career interview) app from App Store.

Interview Question – The Global Markets Director asked a variety of of questions about expected "best in class" margins for their line of business and seemed to expect detailed knowledge in this area even though this level of inside knowledge was not mentioned as a prerequisite and did not appear particularly relevant in the job description provided.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Entry Level Contract.

HSBC Operational Leadership Graduate Programmer Interview

HSBC Operational Leadership Graduate Programmer

I interviewed at HSBC Holdings in February 2014.

Interview Details – filling in the application, one numerical test followed by a phone interview and a whole-day AC. questions were very straightforward, following the competencies published on their website. not much technical knowledge required, the interviewer spent 80% of time focusing on competency-based questions e.g. name the time you had a disagreement with someone from your team, how did you resolve it and what did you learn from it, so quite predictable.AC was trickier, as it involves a written report, an exercise in role-playing, group exercise and a final one-to-one interview.

Interview Question – How do you think your acquired skills will benefit HSBC?   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at HSBC Holdings in January 2011.

Interview Details – First stage is an online application shortly followed by online testing - numerical and reasoning. Then the next stage telephone interview - mainly competency and motivation based. Finally the last stage is an assesment centre which includes a written numerical test, a group exercise, and 2 interviews - one technical/motivation interview and one competency interview.

Interview Question – Discuss the causes of the financial crisis. Discuss a time you were unable to keep to a deadline. Why?   Answer Question

Financial Management Trainee Interview

Financial Management Trainee

I applied online and interviewed at HSBC Holdings.

Interview Details – Online application - Online test - Phone interview - Interview in office. This seems to be not really difficult, prepare carefully and try to get more experience in study or volunteer time to get more activities that you can show to them.

Interview Question – Describe yourself in some situation that you can have 3 HSBC's values?   Answer Question

Graduate Scheme Technology Interview

Graduate Scheme Technology
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HSBC Holdings in April 2014.

Interview Details – Submitted application online.
Got contacted by recruiting company about two weeks later.
Had to submit online numerical test within 24h.
Had a telephone interview about my interest in technology and how technology can affect HSBC work (10min) with recruiter.
A week later, had a telephone interview with similar topics plus motivation (about 45min).

I thought I didn't pass, but they called me on friday of the same week and book me a place for the assessment centre the next monday.
The AC is all day long, but the first test is a numerical reasoning test (on paper) and if you fail, you have to leave immediatly. Minimum score to pass is 15 out of 20.
Sadly I failed that.

Interview Question – I am good at numerical tests, but was really nervous for the AC and I failed.
This is not the most important part, but if you fail here you are out, so PRACTICE A LOT!
  Answer Question

Customer Service Officer Interview

Customer Service Officer

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at HSBC Holdings.

Interview Details – 3 Online tests. Numerical(graphs/%/charts) test, comprehension test, situational judgement test. You have to wait for an email to progress to each assignment.

(3 weeks later)
Face-Face 40mins.
Background checks during decision-making process

(3 weeks later)
Feedback on successfully completing interview stage
Offer made and contract emailed

Start date 4 weeks after Contract emailed

Interview Question – Elaborate on a time where you have had to make an improvement   Answer Question

Customer Service Executive Interview

Customer Service Executive

Interview Details – Had an online test and passed, therefore offered a face to face interview. I was phoned on a Tuesday afternoon and interview time for 10am on the Wednesday. Not too concerned as I had done similar job before so had confidence to do the interview. Went in for the interview but asked to come back as interviewer was going in for a tele conference!! Not impressed but no choice had to come back after an hour. Interviewer barely shook my hand and I immediately felt uneasy! Halfway through the interview was asked questions about what my partner does, is is job permanent and why I thought there was no chance of him being either relocated or made redundant! The interviewer yawned throughout the process, this unsettled me even further. Obviously I didn't get the position, I requested feedback and was told I wasn't passionate enough about HSBC. I then asked why the interviewer had asked questions relating to my partners job situation and the reply was" I didn't ask anything that was inappropriate" I did say that they were interviewing me for prospective employee and not my partner. I got not one rejection email but 3, talk about rubbing salt into a wound.

Interview Question – Questions asked about my partners job and sustainability of his position!   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at HSBC Holdings.

Interview Details – Standard competency questions. Telephone interview seemed like it was outsourced to an recruiting company, but was helpful enough when asked about the structure of the internship and the following stages.

Interview Question – They will ask about core competencies that they state on their website.   Answer Question

Retail Banking and Wealth Management Interview

Retail Banking and Wealth Management
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at HSBC Holdings in April 2014.

Interview Details – Firstly, Online form from the website then Online Test- verbal and numerical then Phone Interview- behavioral interview and competency based questions. it lasted around 60 minutes, the interviewer was very nice. The last stage was the Assessment Center: Role Play, Report (time constraint), Group Exercise, One-to-one interview and at the end self evaluation.

Interview Question – No technical question, just behavioral interview and competency based questions. No unexpected questions. Very fast assessment center from 9am to 3pm. mangers and recruiters were very nice.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
London, England (UK)

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at HSBC Holdings in June 2013.

Interview Details – 3 interviews ,pretty quick process, 3/4 week background screening. On boarding is very lacking.

Interview Question – Clearly HR is completely disconnected from hiring managers. None of the important questions HR stressed got asked during interview with hiring manager. A lot of technical questions were asked but none of the skills is needed on the job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – If you have good skill and confident, you can negotiate good deal but it doesn't mean you will use those skills on the job

Worked for HSBC Holdings? Contribute to the Community!