HSS

Getting the Interview

3 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Livermore, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at HSS in November 2011.

Interview Details – The initial contact with HSS Security was via an email invitation from the employer which detailed a link to a very poorly written craigslist post describing a "job fair" being held and for "all applicants who have not applied within the last 6 months" encouraged to apply. I had a very similar experience to the interviewer in Colorado including the fact that I was more dressed appropriately than other applicants. Some differences. Since this was a job fair and there were a high number of applicants we were all corralled into a big conference room and bombarded with a looped HSS Security video and applicants were required to sign in prior to sitting down to fill out a written application. This process took about an hour and a half even though I had long since completed the written application along with reviewing the company newsletter and other information. I was then called into a side office for an interview. The "recruiter" never looked up once from his notepad during the entire duration of the interview which I felt was very unprofessional and frankly odd. I gave the interviewer my resume and was even offered the position, The exact words were "I will have to call the site to see what openings we have in the schedule". I thanked the interviewer who finally looked up after I shook his hand. I went to the receptionist and explained that I was offered a position and she was puzzled as to why I did not have to fill out any additional paperwork. This was a holiday weekend and I figured I would be contacted promptly via phone the following tuesday. I was. With an cold email stating that I was "not selected", I highly discourage anyone with years of experience in private and government security from wasting time with this unprofessional employer in Livermore, CA. I can't speak for other branches as HSS Security seems to be a reputable company just not here.

Interview Questions

Denver, CO

The process took a day - interviewed at HSS in August 2010.

Interview Details – Initially received a phone call where the recruiter asked me a few questions such as what I knew about the company, how much I wanted to make ($12-12.50 is starting pay), and what shifts I would be available to work. After our quick conversation, She invited me to a 1:1 interview with another recruiter for the next day. The dress was suppose to be business professional, but I showed up in a full suit and did not see anyone else who came close to matching my attire.

When I showed up for my 1:1 interview, I was handed a piece of paper by the receptionist and asked to fill it out and turn it back into her. It asked for me to describe why I wanted to work for HSS in 50 words or more. You have to use a pen, so write neatly and look at the walls if you need to spell something correctly (lots of posters)

Once completed, I sat around for about 10 minutes until the recruiter came to get me. She took me to a small office where we sat down and began the interview. She once again asked why I wanted to work for HSS (focus on customer service and promotion from within). She then asked how I have gone above and beyond in a customer service role and how I would handle a conflict. The other questions were all the typical could you pass a drug test, do you want an armed or unarmed position (you buy your own firearm), can you lift up to 80 lbs, etc. After she was done I went on and asked about 5 questions all pertaining to health benefits, job duties, promotion potential, etc., and the interviewer kindly answered them all to the best of her ability.

She offered me a position right there, however, I was upfront in the phone interview and told them I was waiting to hear back from another job opportunity. She asked me in the 1:1 interview, which job I would accept if offered both, and I was honest and told her the other position. She was not offended and politely asked when I expected to hear back.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I did not see much wiggle room for any negotiation.

Very Easy Interview

Security Officer Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at HSS in December 2009.

Interview Details – You get a phone call from a recruiter first, and answer their interview questions (mostly standard "Why should we hire you?" "What is your biggest strength" type interview questions.) Then you take an online personality test, and then you get a one-on-one interview with the program manager, where they ask you questions like "can you work with or under all different kinds of people?" and more standard interview questions.

Interview Question – What is your biggest weakness?   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for HSS? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at HSS interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by HSS employees and interview candidates.