HTC

3.6

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at HTC in September 2014.

I applied for the position online and received an email from the recruiter inviting me to chat about the position. The call was a mini interview in and of itself and went well. A phone interview with the hiring manager followed. It was a great, informative discussion and I was invited to come in for a portfolio review/in-person interviews.

The in-person experience was fun. The most surprising part of it was that the entire studio attended the portfolio review. It was a little intimidating at first, but the people were fun and friendly, which made the experience very positive.

They saved time by having two to three people interview me at a time, which I appreciated. They didn't "grill" me, and were very good at answering my questions. They were passionate about user experience and their product. Lots of great energy and passion.

Interview Questions
    • Everything was pretty straight forward. I didn't feel ambushed, nor had to answer any pie-in-the-sky questions companies like Amazon are famous for.   Answer Question
    HTC communicated interest in hiring me and we're in the super early stages of negotiation. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we can negotiate a happy medium.

Digital Customer Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at HTC in July 2012.

First a screening call over the phone, followed by an invitation into the office for a mix of panel and individual interviews. The questions were very focused on what I would do in particular scenarios. Overall pretty challenging. The entire interview on site took about 4 hours

Following this, I was asked to prepare a last minute presentation for some VPs. I was given the task the night before and asked to present at 9AM the following day. Talk about stressful. I spent the better part of that night working on that.

I was told that I did an outstanding job presenting and asked to come back in to meet with another VP the following week in person. That went fine.

A week afterwards, I heard back from recruiting. They said the job was mine and we discussed compensation. I countered and they went back to discuss this with their team. I didn't hear back anything until I proactively contacted them to find out about the next steps. They then called me back three days later saying that the role was no longer available.

Interview Questions
    • If a rather issue (can't remember the exact wording) happened and you had to respond without the ability to refer to anyone else, what would you do?   Answer Question

Mysql Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at HTC in December 2011.

The interview process for me started with a telephone screen conducted by the Dashwire recruiter. This person basically just called to ask about how I heard about the position, what I knew about the company, what my salary expectations were and what my current availability was.

After my telephone screen with the recruiter I was scheduled for a technical phone screen with the current Lead DBA/System Administrator. In addition to going over my previous experience and telling me about the company, this person also asked several technical question related to taking backups, replication, and ways to increase and/or optimize performance of databases.

The last step for me was a series of group/panel interviews. During these interviews I met with different members of the dashwire team. The interviews were a bit mixed as to the type of questions. For example, some of the developers asked technical questions related to their specific work. Like, how to optimize a query. Others asked more managerial questions, like "what is your greatest strenght, weaknesses."

Overall I felt I had a very positive experience. Everyone that I met at Dashwire was extremely polite and full of energy. The company was recently bought out by HTC but, from my understanding, is being kept as a separate entity. Thus, the start-up mentality of the company still exists. However, the egos are not as bad as they can be with some start-ups. The environment seems to be very collaborative with a very flat management structure and open workspace. Thus, if you hate it when a developer walks over and asks you a questions... stay away from here.

I didn't get the position, as they were looking for more of a System Administrator/DBA Hybrid. However, I am not bitter. Dashwire seems to be a great company and an awesome place to work. I encourage anyone interested to apply.

Interview Questions
    • If a parent record was accidentally deleted without removing the child records, what query could you use to determine what records were "orphaned".   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at HTC in November 2011.

On-Campus interview with two technical questions. We ran out of time and I didn't even get to explain what I was looking for career wise or get to ask the interviewer any questions. The interviewer seemed to be annoyed that he was stuck with recruiting and wasn't very helpful when I asked a question about the problem he gave me.

Interview Questions
    • Given a list of integers, find all the pairs that add up to a certain integer.
      Ex: Given {5,5,3,1,6,7,5} with a sum int of 10 the pairs would be {5,5}, {5,5}, {3,7}, and {5,5}

Answer Question
    • Reverse a string in C without storing the length of the string in any variable. Must run in O(N)   Answer Question

Strategy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at HTC in April 2011.

Internal referral for the position. Process began with an initial phone interview with the team's recruiter, discussing background, interests, etc. After that had a one on one with the hiring manager and again met with the recruiter. Spent roughly 90 minutes with the hiring manager discussing the role, background, and how I might approach different problems. After the interview the hiring manager gave me a "take-home case" assignment to work on, send back, and discuss during the next round of interviews. It was a very abstract assignment but intended to see how one would go about distilling a wide range of data into concise actionable points. Was given 48 hours to do the assignment.

Next round of interviews consisted of an hour with another member of the team, going over the case presentation that I had sent back earlier. After that spent an hour on the phone with one other member of the team, this time discussing motivation for the role (as someone switching industries), etc. The last interview was on a Friday, offer was made the following Monday.

Interview Questions
    • How would you distill disparate qualitative information into an actionable set of easily understood points?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied in-person – interviewed at HTC in September 2010.

Marketing Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at HTC in August 2010.

HTC is a hard-driving, fast-growing company. The talent management team is trying to staff 30-40 positions and they are way overworked. They will get to know you as a candidate, but expect to feel a bit herded through the process.

Phone interview with agency.
    In-person interview with agency.
    Phone interview with HTC Talent Management.
    In-person interview with hiring manager.
    Skills test for main skillset required for the position.
    Skills test for the secondary skillset required for the position.
    Further in-person interviews with product management team, hiring manager, and team of peers.
    Very thorough background check (they called an educational institution from which I graduated 25 years ago!)

This interview process was harder than the complete Microsoft FTE cycle (I have been hired through that cycle once blue badge and three times as a contractor, and have been a hiring manager twice). Both the depth and the scope were bigger than the typical Microsoft interview course.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle interaction with an engineer about a particular feature when you don't like the design or believe that the design will fail?   Answer Question
    I asked for 20% more than the quoted maximum salary. I also asked for additional paid time off. Both of these requests were in the interest of preserving previous salary and PTO as negotiated. I did get both of these items as requested. In addition, I was offered some special travel provisions; these were a nice bonus.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at HTC in June 2010.

Contacted by HR to set up a telephone interview. Interview itself was with a manager on a product team for a new phone. The interview consisted of mostly character questions and explanation of the technology.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at HTC in March 2009.

It was a series of technical drill down with many devs in the company.

Interview Questions
    • Find the common ancestor of two nodes in a tree. The tree is not a binary tree strictly in that the left node is less than the right node. Also this solution should work for trees with three or four children. Provide both a recursive and iterative solution.   View Answers (3)