Hachette Book Group

14 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Finance Internship Interview

Finance Internship

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hachette Book Group.

Interview Details – Interview was basic for the type of internship being applied to. Mainly background questions like what I did at my job, and why did I pick the major I'm working on at the moment. Nothing technical, at least based from my experience.

Interview Question – Why did you pick Finance as your major?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hachette Book Group in May 2014.

Interview Details – It took about a month to hear back from HR Department, after submitting in all of my materials/interest for the position. I was then selected to interview with specific department. And then was subsequently called at the end of the week, notifying me that I was hired/accepted into the internship program.

Interview Question – There were honestly no difficult or unexpected questions that I was asked during my interview. We mostly discussed the aspects and responsibilities of the position, and then moved onto information about the candidate (me). For the most part, I was asked about my (working) experiences, and what I was responsible for/did at each job.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Executive Assistant

I applied online and interviewed at Hachette Book Group.

Interview Details – I started out as an in-house temp and was hired to work under the human resources department. The hiring process was fairly easy and the questions they asked were the typical ones you'd normally hear about from people or read about online (ie, what is your weakest point, what do like to improve on, what do you think about our company, etc) I wanted to get into the publishing world badly so it didn't matter to me that I was offered a very low salary. I still make very low pay considering I became an executive assistant.

Interview Question – The most hated question which is difficult was "What is your weakest point?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Very Easy Interview

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hachette Book Group in October 2013.

Interview Details – A recruiter came to me with the role and after several phone calls and texts, I spoke to the VP and agreed to do an interview. It was likely the worst interview I've ever done in my dozen+ years in software. I was told that I'd interview with the team lead whom I'd be working under, and the VP. I thought that it was strange that I'd only meet a couple people. Also the team lead I'd be working with was only just recently hired so she'd likely not have all that much insight to share.

That morning I got a text from the recruiter who said I'd be starting the interview with a 3rd person (also a new hire). We did a quick call where he decided he'd mention that the company outsources the majority of their software development to India!!! Wow. At least I was glad that I'd get to meet someone else but I knew at that point that it was a no go for me.

I spent about an hour with the first interviewer and found it unpleasant/dysfunctional. He didn't understand the purpose of Continuos Integration and generally seemed to not like any of the answers to my questions, often not allowing me more than a few words to answer with. He acted generally confused and dismissive of my answers. I come from a very agile background and related concepts seemed totally foreign to him.

Apparently it was his understanding that I'd not meet with the person I'd be working with, nor anyone on the team I'd be working on, but instead I'd meet with the VP and that would be it. I didn't like that. But it got worse. The VP never showed up. After waiting an hour and a half, I convinced the first guy to at least go talk to the person I'd be working under, and after he did, he came back with a "She says she hadn't heard anything about you and had no plans to interview you"! .. the VP never shows up and I leave.

Terrible waste of time / 100% dysfunctional.

Interview Question – The whole interaction was difficult an unpleasant.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hachette Book Group.

Interview Details – I had applied online, and had an interview for that position about a month later after getting a phone call a week and a half after applying. I met with the person I would be working for as well as HR. I followed up, after the approximate wait time, and I haven't heard anything back. I believe their follow up should be a bit better, job offer or not. I'm assuming the position has been filled, since it is no longer posted online. A bit disappointed, I really was hoping for an offer, but overall good interview

Interview Question – A time where you were told to do something, but something else was more pressing.   Answer Question

Marketing Assistant Interview

Marketing Assistant
New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Hachette Book Group in July 2012.

Interview Details – Was supposed to meet with 2 people, one in HR and the other in the department. The morning of HR cancelled on me, but said the interview would still take place. The person I interviewed with was very nice, but was honestly unprepared. I was also told the original job I was interviewing for was changing/evolving and they didn't know what that would mean for them.

The interview went well, however HR never got back to me, even after I followed up twice.

Interview Question – What kind of books do you like to read?

Why do you have an interest in publishing?
  Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Hachette Book Group in March 2008.

Interview Details – Casual and easy-going. First with an HR rep, and then with the manager of the department I applied to.

Interview Question – Be prepared to talk about books!   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. I was notified immediately that they wanted me for the position.

New York, NY

Interview Details – I applied online and was emailed to schedule an interview a few days later. During the days leading up to the interview, I was asked to submit some written materials for them to gauge my writing skills and to confirm the interview date. The afternoon before the interview I was emailed a few times to move the interview and then to reschedule for the following week. When the day finally came, they weren't at all prepared for me. The HR employee who was supposed to interview me was giving a tour to new interns (something they obviously had to know beforehand—interns don't just suddenly pop up) and the editor was obviously unprepared to meet with me (I'm pretty sure he didn't even know about the interview beforehand.)

I had to email two weeks later to ask about their decision, otherwise I would probably still be waiting.

Interview Question – I was only generally asked about my work experience. The interviewer mostly explained the position and the tasks that it entailed.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hachette Book Group in September 2008.

Interview Details – I met with someone in HR and the Director of the Department. It took a few weeks to find out.

Interview Question – How do you deal with difficult situations?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate, but I did not have a lot of experience at the time.

Editorial Interview

Editorial
New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Hachette Book Group in July 2010.

Interview Details – Everything about the experience was fairly positive; I applied for the job, and heard back the next day about setting up an interview. I initially spoke with a junior editorial assistant since this was for a part-time position, then with someone more senior about the job's responsibilities, etc. They were both bright and engaged, and interested in making sure the job meshed with me, as far as my availability and future aspirations went. Had problems getting ahold of someone in HR about new hire stuff, but good.

Interview Question – What are your future goals in publishing?   Answer Question

Worked for Hachette Book Group? Contribute to the Community!