Hachette Book Group Interview Questions

Updated Jul 7, 2015

2.7

Editorial Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Hachette Book Group.

Interview

They just were really horrible about being in contact for the whole process, I guess they weren't particularly interested but it was just really intermittent contact. The actual interview was over the phone and pretty straightforward, just asking about myself

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Hachette Book Group.

Interview

Applied early March. Received e-mail for phone screening 2 weeks later. Was e-mailed 6 days later for 2nd interview with director of department that I originally set up to be in-person, but was cancelled and pushed forward into a phone format. Interviews were run-of-the-mill, mostly behavioral questions and questions about past experiences. Was told to expect follow-up near end of the month, but checked their application site 2 weeks later on a whim to find out the position was closed. Sad I didn't get the internship, forgot to detail some parts of my resume that were relevant to the position.

Legal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Hachette Book Group (New York, NY).

Interview

I was called by HR. It was a typical phone interview asking about my interests in book publishing and the legal department. I was also asked why I was interested in media/entertainment law. The HR rep I spoke to was very enthusiastic and kind. Be prepared to answer why you want to go into book publishing and why you want to be in the legal department, and you should be fine.

Floater Position Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hachette Book Group (Boston, MA).

Interview

I applied on Craigslist and I was emailed back by someone from HR for a phone interview. I was then brought in to meet with two people from hr and then took a typing test. I then met with a manager. I could tell he wasn't interested in hiring me right away when he hardly looked at my resume. A week after the interview I was told they decided to hire someone from within the company. It was a big waste of time seeing as they already had someone in mind for the position.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Hachette Book Group (Boston, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied on their website--it took a day to hear back about an interview. A couple days later, I interviewed first with an HR person who asked me some generic questions. Then, two managers came in and interviewed me. It was very cordial, and had some chit-chat alongside the questions.

Interview Questions

• Pretty standard questions like: Tell me about yourself, what are your strengths and weaknesses, are you big picture or detail-oriented, why Hachette Book Group, do you have experience with data entry, etc.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hachette Book Group (New York, NY) in May 2014.

Interview

It took about a month to hear back from HR Department, after submitting in all of my materials/interest for the position. I was then selected to interview with specific department. And then was subsequently called at the end of the week, notifying me that I was hired/accepted into the internship program.

Interview Questions

• There were honestly no difficult or unexpected questions that I was asked during my interview. We mostly discussed the aspects and responsibilities of the position, and then moved onto information about the candidate (me). For the most part, I was asked about my (working) experiences, and what I was responsible for/did at each job.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hachette Book Group in April 2014.

Interview

Very simple process. Two phone conversations: Spoke with HR coordinator first and then with the director of the department I would be working in. The questions were straightforward and clear for the most part.. why do you want to work for hachette? Why are you interested in the specific department that you applied for? Etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you failed at something and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No Negotiation

Executive Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Hachette Book Group.

Interview

I started out as an in-house temp and was hired to work under the human resources department. The hiring process was fairly easy and the questions they asked were the typical ones you'd normally hear about from people or read about online (ie, what is your weakest point, what do like to improve on, what do you think about our company, etc) I wanted to get into the publishing world badly so it didn't matter to me that I was offered a very low salary. I still make very low pay considering I became an executive assistant.

Interview Questions

• The most hated question which is difficult was "What is your weakest point?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hachette Book Group (Boston, MA) in October 2013.

Interview

A recruiter came to me with the role and after several phone calls and texts, I spoke to the VP and agreed to do an interview. It was likely the worst interview I've ever done in my dozen+ years in software. I was told that I'd interview with the team lead whom I'd be working under, and the VP. I thought that it was strange that I'd only meet a couple people. Also the team lead I'd be working with was only just recently hired so she'd likely not have all that much insight to share. That morning I got a text from the recruiter who said I'd be starting the interview with a 3rd person (also a new hire). We did a quick call where he decided he'd mention that the company outsources the majority of their software development to India!!! Wow. At least I was glad that I'd get to meet someone else but I knew at that point that it was a no go for me. I spent about an hour with the first interviewer and found it unpleasant/dysfunctional. He didn't understand the purpose of Continuos Integration and generally seemed to not like any of the answers to my questions, often not allowing me more than a few words to answer with. He acted generally confused and dismissive of my answers. I come from a very agile background and related concepts seemed totally foreign to him. Apparently it was his understanding that I'd not meet with the person I'd be working with, nor anyone on the team I'd be working on, but instead I'd meet with the VP and that would be it. I didn't like that. But it got worse. The VP never showed up. After waiting an hour and a half, I convinced the first guy to at least go talk to the person I'd be working under, and after he did, he came back with a "She says she hadn't heard anything about you and had no plans to interview you"! .. the VP never shows up and I leave. Terrible waste of time / 100% dysfunctional.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hachette Book Group (New York, NY).

Interview

I had applied online, and had an interview for that position about a month later after getting a phone call a week and a half after applying. I met with the person I would be working for as well as HR. I followed up, after the approximate wait time, and I haven't heard anything back. I believe their follow up should be a bit better, job offer or not. I'm assuming the position has been filled, since it is no longer posted online. A bit disappointed, I really was hoping for an offer, but overall good interview

Interview Questions

• A time where you were told to do something, but something else was more pressing.   Answer Question