Half Price Books

Average Difficulty
15 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Half Price Books in June 2013.

Interview Details – Was referred by an employee. Set up a time with a manager for an in person interview which consisted of the store manager and one assistant manager. Very friendly and non-confrontational, they asked questions that were relevant to the retail/bookstore landscape and didn't throw any curveballs. Having experience in the field is a plus, and having knowledge of the chain as a customer also seems to impress when you are in the hot seat.

Interview Question – What difficulties did you have in working with your last manager?   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Half Price Books in August 2011.

Interview Details – I was called for interview 2 months after my application. They seem to make there entire decision off of personality and often hire friends. I was only called for interview because a friendly employee recommended me after I had asked. Much of the interview was discussion about books that I liked.

Interview Question – How would you deal with a customer angry at their offer?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. I was only told what I would be paid.

Houston, TX

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Half Price Books in May 2012.

Interview Details – They asked a lot of obscure questions about how you saw yourself and how you viewed yourself as someone they should hire. Not too many questions actually pertaining to retail or book selling. Also asked about where I want to be in 10 years and questions about previous jobs and my customer service experiences.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 10 years....and questions about dealing with people (customers) in certain situations.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Rockwall, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Half Price Books in February 2010.

Interview Details – I had noticed that HPB was in the process of moving in. It was snowing badly but I walked in and asked for an application anyway. I got my 1:1 interview the next snowy day and I never regretted it.

Interview Question – If you had to choose between the store and your Nanny position, what would you choose?   View Answer

Frisco, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Half Price Books in September 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process at Half Price Books in Frisco, Texas was basic and disappointing. When I arrived the disheveled assistant covered in tattoos presented me with a checklist of job tasks and workplace values. The interview itself was below average. The store manager seemed unapproachable and complained about difficult customers a lot. He did not seem interested in talking too much with me and did not allow for me to speak too much or ask questions. I felt that he would not be a good role-model or a good manager to work for because of that. I felt that the questions he asked me were not related to bookselling. The wage was very disappointing. $8 an hour is really awful.The bookstore had a foul, dusty, and moldy odor. I was not impressed or pleased.

Interview Question – Do you have a good relationship with your current boss?   View Answer

Dallas, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Half Price Books in May 2011.

Interview Details – I filled out a paper application, and within a week was called in for an interview with the store manager. She asked me a list of what sounded like, "company approved," questions, which I answered in a very candid and creative way. (That is what they are looking for.)

Interview Question – Give an example of a time when your character failed.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Short. As it was a standard hourly wage for new part-time employees

Dallas, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Half Price Books in August 2010.

Interview Details – Filled out a paper application in the store one day while I was out looking for a position with a friend. Just dropped it off that day. Didn't get a call for several weeks, but was called to come interview about a month later (this lends credence to the idea that they actually retain old applications for when they are actually hiring.) I came in and interviewed with the store manager in the back. The interview was pretty laid back (and my first one ever) and went well. I received a call with an offer for a position within a week after that.

Interview Question – None, really, that I recall. General retail questions as well as some questions to see if you'd be comfortable with the work responsibilities (heavy lifting, cleaning, etc)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – This was my second job so there wasn't a lot of negotiation. But I was offered more than minimum wage to start (possibly due in part to having made more at my previous job,) and that was alright with me.

Frisco, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Half Price Books.

Interview Details – Very casual interview, only took about 20 minutes. I interviewed with the manager and assistant manager at the same time, both very nice guys. The interview took place in a small and cramped office in the back. They asked the basic questions about my previous work experience and about my personal hobbies.

They told me about the hours and benefits which seem good. The pay starts out at minimum wage and the job seems physically and mentally demanding. You are more than just a bookseller/cashier, there's some janitorial work involved too and also a lot of heavy lifting. I wish they would have told me this before I came in for the interview.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – Wasn't willing to do janitorial work and heavy lifting.

Bloomingdale, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Half Price Books in February 2013.

Interview Details – The interview consisted of your basic interview questions. Describe a situation where you had to deal with a difficult co-worker, etc. Ended the interview with a goofy question, "What super power do you wish had and how would you use it?"

Interview Question – Describe a situation in which you improved or streamlined an already existing system.   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Half Price Books.

Interview Details – Responded to craigslist add and applied. Interviewed for a new store location in Austin, TX. Met at home office in north Austin since the new location was not open yet. Interviewed with store manager and an assistant manager who had both been at the company a long time. Store manager had visible piercings/tattoos and pink hair so they are okay with self expression in the form of appearance, which is cool (yay Austin). Interview lasted about 30 minutes. They didn't hire me initially, but got an offer about 2 weeks after they had selected first choice candidates. Typical interview questions, nothing too daunting.

Interview Question – If you were asked to capture 100 butterflies, how would you go about accomplishing that task?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – There was no way I could possibly live on $8/hr working 40 hours per week. I have a 4 year degree and live alone. This would be okay for someone who doesn't mind living with several roommates or is married to someone with decent income. Otherwise the job was very appealing to me, but I was forced to decline b/c of the pay thing. Even $10/hr would have been better.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Half Price Books? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Half Price Books Bookseller interview questions and advice. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by Half Price Books employees and interview candidates.