Half Price Books

Updated Nov 10, 2014

2.1

18 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Half Price Books.

Applied online, and about a week later they called me back asking me if i wanted to interview. Questions were mostly focused on customer service and team work dynamics. They asked whether i preferred to work independently or if i worked better with people etc. asked a few basic percentage questions for bookselling/buying

Other Interview Reviews for Half Price Books

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frisco, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Half Price Books in September 2013.

The interview process at Half Price Books in Frisco, Texas was basic and disappointing. When I arrived the disheveled assistant covered in tattoos presented me with a checklist of job tasks and workplace values. The interview itself was below average. The store manager seemed unapproachable and complained about difficult customers a lot. He did not seem interested in talking too much with me and did not allow for me to speak too much or ask questions. I felt that he would not be a good role-model or a good manager to work for because of that. I felt that the questions he asked me were not related to bookselling. The wage was very disappointing. $8 an hour is really awful.The bookstore had a foul, dusty, and moldy odor. I was not impressed or pleased.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have a good relationship with your current boss?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Half Price Books in June 2013.

Was referred by an employee. Set up a time with a manager for an in person interview which consisted of the store manager and one assistant manager. Very friendly and non-confrontational, they asked questions that were relevant to the retail/bookstore landscape and didn't throw any curveballs. Having experience in the field is a plus, and having knowledge of the chain as a customer also seems to impress when you are in the hot seat.

Interview Questions
    • What difficulties did you have in working with your last manager?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frisco, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Half Price Books.

Very casual interview, only took about 20 minutes. I interviewed with the manager and assistant manager at the same time, both very nice guys. The interview took place in a small and cramped office in the back. They asked the basic questions about my previous work experience and about my personal hobbies.

They told me about the hours and benefits which seem good. The pay starts out at minimum wage and the job seems physically and mentally demanding. You are more than just a bookseller/cashier, there's some janitorial work involved too and also a lot of heavy lifting. I wish they would have told me this before I came in for the interview.

Interview Questions

Wasn't willing to do janitorial work and heavy lifting.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Half Price Books.

Responded to craigslist add and applied. Interviewed for a new store location in Austin, TX. Met at home office in north Austin since the new location was not open yet. Interviewed with store manager and an assistant manager who had both been at the company a long time. Store manager had visible piercings/tattoos and pink hair so they are okay with self expression in the form of appearance, which is cool (yay Austin). Interview lasted about 30 minutes. They didn't hire me initially, but got an offer about 2 weeks after they had selected first choice candidates. Typical interview questions, nothing too daunting.

Interview Questions
    • If you were asked to capture 100 butterflies, how would you go about accomplishing that task?   View Answer

There was no way I could possibly live on $8/hr working 40 hours per week. I have a 4 year degree and live alone. This would be okay for someone who doesn't mind living with several roommates or is married to someone with decent income. Otherwise the job was very appealing to me, but I was forced to decline b/c of the pay thing. Even $10/hr would have been better.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomingdale, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomingdale, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Half Price Books in February 2013.

The interview consisted of your basic interview questions. Describe a situation where you had to deal with a difficult co-worker, etc. Ended the interview with a goofy question, "What super power do you wish had and how would you use it?"

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation in which you improved or streamlined an already existing system.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Half Price Books in May 2012.

They asked a lot of obscure questions about how you saw yourself and how you viewed yourself as someone they should hire. Not too many questions actually pertaining to retail or book selling. Also asked about where I want to be in 10 years and questions about previous jobs and my customer service experiences.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in 10 years....and questions about dealing with people (customers) in certain situations.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Half Price Books in August 2011.

I was called for interview 2 months after my application. They seem to make there entire decision off of personality and often hire friends. I was only called for interview because a friendly employee recommended me after I had asked. Much of the interview was discussion about books that I liked.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with a customer angry at their offer?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. I was only told what I would be paid.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Half Price Books in May 2011.

I filled out a paper application, and within a week was called in for an interview with the store manager. She asked me a list of what sounded like, "company approved," questions, which I answered in a very candid and creative way. (That is what they are looking for.)

Interview Questions
    Short. As it was a standard hourly wage for new part-time employees

Bookseller Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Half Price Books in September 2010.

Just your standard interview--usually involving the store manager and asst. store manager. they usually go over your application and ask questions about why you want to work there, etc. No big whup. My advice would be to get a couple of applications, answer all the questions coherently. answer them fully, and make neat and clean copies, then hit all the local stores that would be convenient for you. If you have half a brain, you should do okay.

Um, when can you start? that's about it.