Half Price Books Bookseller Interview Questions

2.1

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Half Price Books in May 2010.

Applied in-store, but I don't think that affected anything since the manager was not there to accept the application - I just handed it to a bookseller. Received call setting up interview within 2 weeks of submitting application. The interview was with the store manager and assistant manager. Easy interview, mostly talked about customer service/experience and books/media/etc. Very laid back atmosphere, the SM and ASM were not dressed up at all. Was called with offer (minimum wage is standard) within a week.

Interview Questions
  • They asked a few odd questions, like "if you were a shoe, what shoe would you be?"   Answer Question
no negotiation, minimum wage (maybe +$0.25) is standard, take it or leave it. benefits are included though which is a big selling point.

Other Interview Reviews for Half Price Books

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Half Price Books in June 2013.

Was referred by an employee. Set up a time with a manager for an in person interview which consisted of the store manager and one assistant manager. Very friendly and non-confrontational, they asked questions that were relevant to the retail/bookstore landscape and didn't throw any curveballs. Having experience in the field is a plus, and having knowledge of the chain as a customer also seems to impress when you are in the hot seat.

Interview Questions
    • What difficulties did you have in working with your last manager?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Half Price Books in August 2011.

I was called for interview 2 months after my application. They seem to make there entire decision off of personality and often hire friends. I was only called for interview because a friendly employee recommended me after I had asked. Much of the interview was discussion about books that I liked.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with a customer angry at their offer?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. I was only told what I would be paid.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Half Price Books in May 2012.

They asked a lot of obscure questions about how you saw yourself and how you viewed yourself as someone they should hire. Not too many questions actually pertaining to retail or book selling. Also asked about where I want to be in 10 years and questions about previous jobs and my customer service experiences.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in 10 years....and questions about dealing with people (customers) in certain situations.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rockwall, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockwall, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Half Price Books in February 2010.

I had noticed that HPB was in the process of moving in. It was snowing badly but I walked in and asked for an application anyway. I got my 1:1 interview the next snowy day and I never regretted it.

Interview Questions
    • If you had to choose between the store and your Nanny position, what would you choose?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Frisco, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frisco, TX

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Half Price Books in September 2013.

The interview process at Half Price Books in Frisco, Texas was basic and disappointing. When I arrived the disheveled assistant covered in tattoos presented me with a checklist of job tasks and workplace values. The interview itself was below average. The store manager seemed unapproachable and complained about difficult customers a lot. He did not seem interested in talking too much with me and did not allow for me to speak too much or ask questions. I felt that he would not be a good role-model or a good manager to work for because of that. I felt that the questions he asked me were not related to bookselling. The wage was very disappointing. $8 an hour is really awful.The bookstore had a foul, dusty, and moldy odor. I was not impressed or pleased.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have a good relationship with your current boss?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Half Price Books in May 2011.

I filled out a paper application, and within a week was called in for an interview with the store manager. She asked me a list of what sounded like, "company approved," questions, which I answered in a very candid and creative way. (That is what they are looking for.)

Interview Questions
    Short. As it was a standard hourly wage for new part-time employees

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Half Price Books in August 2010.

Filled out a paper application in the store one day while I was out looking for a position with a friend. Just dropped it off that day. Didn't get a call for several weeks, but was called to come interview about a month later (this lends credence to the idea that they actually retain old applications for when they are actually hiring.) I came in and interviewed with the store manager in the back. The interview was pretty laid back (and my first one ever) and went well. I received a call with an offer for a position within a week after that.

Interview Questions
    • None, really, that I recall. General retail questions as well as some questions to see if you'd be comfortable with the work responsibilities (heavy lifting, cleaning, etc)   Answer Question
    This was my second job so there wasn't a lot of negotiation. But I was offered more than minimum wage to start (possibly due in part to having made more at my previous job,) and that was alright with me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Frisco, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frisco, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Half Price Books.

Very casual interview, only took about 20 minutes. I interviewed with the manager and assistant manager at the same time, both very nice guys. The interview took place in a small and cramped office in the back. They asked the basic questions about my previous work experience and about my personal hobbies.

They told me about the hours and benefits which seem good. The pay starts out at minimum wage and the job seems physically and mentally demanding. You are more than just a bookseller/cashier, there's some janitorial work involved too and also a lot of heavy lifting. I wish they would have told me this before I came in for the interview.

Interview Questions

Wasn't willing to do janitorial work and heavy lifting.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bloomingdale, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomingdale, IL

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Half Price Books in February 2013.

The interview consisted of your basic interview questions. Describe a situation where you had to deal with a difficult co-worker, etc. Ended the interview with a goofy question, "What super power do you wish had and how would you use it?"

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation in which you improved or streamlined an already existing system.   Answer Question

Worked for Half Price Books? Contribute to the Community!