Half Price Books Bookseller Interview Questions

Updated Jul 18, 2015

2.1

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Half Price Books (Cincinnati, OH) in July 2015.

Interview

Had two interviews with two different stores within the same week. Both interviews were with the store manager and a shift leader. The first interview was casual and fun, both the hiring manager and shift leader were nice even though the shift leader was popping in and out to help with the store. They asked why I wanted to work for the store, what was something I liked about a previous job, (and then asked again on accident after we got caught up talking about something else). Then asked what good customer service is to me. Then we talked about vacationing & stores in another area I would be living in later, the manager even looking them up for me. The other interview was more stuffy and uptight with the manager asking the same two first questions and one about where I see myself in 5 years and something else. In both interviews they detailed the position in full. Writing this before having received any offer (Still hopeful!).

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for the store?   1 Answer
  • What is good customer service to you?   1 Answer
  • Where do you see yourself in five years?   1 Answer
  • What is a criticism you've received from a former employer?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Half Price Books

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Highland Park, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Half Price Books (Highland Park, IL).

Interview

First there was a brief phone call asking me to come in. Interview consisted of two managers. It was pretty casual. Clothing was also casual. Both managers were pretty nice and at the end asked if I had any questions for them.

Interview Questions

• Past experience, your own pros/cons, interests, if you like books/other media, what are you reading/watching now   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Half Price Books.

Interview

Very casual. I was hired when things were a little more old school and there weren't all these cookie cutter questions that don't tell you anything about what kind of employee you will be. I had one interview and was hired on the spot. Now you have at least two interviews where they will ask you the same questions but you will be talking to two different people. Then you will either wait forever while they decide or be totally left in the lurch.

Interview Questions

• What did you like/dislike about your former job? How would you handle a difficult customer? What made you apply here? Do you have any scheduling conflicts?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Half Price Books (San Antonio, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received an automated email response. Over two weeks later I received a phone call from a store employee, asking if I was still interested and offering an interview. An interview was scheduled for the next week. I arrived early and waited in my car in the parking lot, then came in about fifteen minutes early. No one else was ready, and the manager was apparently not in the store. I browsed the store while waiting and was eventually called by an employee. She apologized for my wait and identified herself as the person who had scheduled the interview. She took me into the back employee-only area where we met with the manager. He asked a few questions, most of which seemed tailored to find out about me as a person. He did not seem very interested in my work history and did not seem to want to hear much about what was already on my application. I started off by talking about my last job, and that seemed to be the wrong approach. I had brought in a copy of my resume and the questions I had answered on the application, but it was not needed. He gave me a print out of the job description and asked if there was anything on it I could not agree to or was unable to do. I told him the items were all things I had done before, and it was fine. He asked when I would be able to start, and I told him I could come in the next day. I wasn't really given the opportunity to ask questions. He told me I was the first to be interviewed and that he would call me back that day, for sure, and let me know either way if I was hired or not. He told me to call him if I wanted to add anything, and suddenly the interview was over. I was not given any contact information, so presumably I was expected not to call at all or to call the store. There was no way to send a thank you note. He did not call me that day, and no one from the store has called. It is now a week after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about you. What motivates you? What does customer service mean to you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Half Price Books (Columbus, OH) in May 2015.

Interview

I was really looking forward to this interview after reading the Glassdoor reviews of the interview process. Book/general media recommendations! I can do that! When I got there 15 minutes early, I was told the manager was currently interviewing another candidate and could I please wait? No problem, I expected to have to wait, having been early. Unfortunately, I had to wait WELL past the scheduled interview time. Once the manager finally met with me, what occurred was less an interview and more the manager complaining about how busy they were, how many interviews they had to conduct, and how a new location opening in the city was cannibalizing all of their store's employees and what a pain it was. I never had adequate time or opportunity to sell myself. After not-quite 20 minutes, the interview was over. I was never asked about book recommendations, and never got the apparently standard HPB "creative" questions about catching 100 butterflies or whatever. One positive: the process was very quick. I applied online on a Saturday, got a call for an interview the following Monday, and scheduled that interview two days later on Wednesday. At the end of the (very brief) interview, the manager let me know that they would be calling the chosen candidates by the next Tuesday.

Interview Questions

• Are you familiar with Half Price Books?   1 Answer

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Half Price Books.

Interview

Staff was very friendly and the interview was quite casual, the interviewer was very talkative and upbeat and seemed to enjoy conducting the interview. Almost all of the questions were about what section I would direct people to if they were looking for a certain book or type of book or giving them recommendations on the fly based on popular titles. There were two paper questionnaires as well which I was given to fill out during the course of the interview. One was more freeform and had more recommendation questions, while the other was a quiz on what authors might be found in certain sections and the authors of famous books e.g. Alice in Wonderland.

Interview Questions

• What book are you reading right now? What book would you recommend to someone who came in asking for books like (example)? What makes you the best candidate for the job?   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Half Price Books.

Interview

Was asked what types of books I read and what sections of the store I would like to work in Asked about previous job experience: Talked about my previous retail sales experience and supervisor experience, They explained to move up in the company Everyone starts out at the bottom. Which now after working there for over a year have come to find out that is not always true and they have some Managers that did not start out at the company.

Interview Questions

• It was a rather easy interview   1 Answer

Negotiation

Ask for higher pay initially b/c raises are a joke and if they even remember to do your review they might not tell you what your raise actually is until you see it applied to your paycheck which will take them an extremely long time to process, they also tell you that you will get paid all the back time for the raise, you will have to watch they closely make sure you get the correct dates to make sure you got paid correctly. I have friends that have worked there for several years and never got more than $1 in raises (good employees too: hard work ethic, always arriving on time, doesn't call in sick much)

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Half Price Books.

Interview

Applied online, and about a week later they called me back asking me if i wanted to interview. Questions were mostly focused on customer service and team work dynamics. They asked whether i preferred to work independently or if i worked better with people etc. asked a few basic percentage questions for bookselling/buying

Anonymous Employee in Frisco, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Half Price Books (Frisco, TX) in September 2013.

Interview

The interview process at Half Price Books in Frisco, Texas was basic and disappointing. When I arrived the disheveled assistant covered in tattoos presented me with a checklist of job tasks and workplace values. The interview itself was below average. The store manager seemed unapproachable and complained about difficult customers a lot. He did not seem interested in talking too much with me and did not allow for me to speak too much or ask questions. I felt that he would not be a good role-model or a good manager to work for because of that. I felt that the questions he asked me were not related to bookselling. The wage was very disappointing. $8 an hour is really awful.The bookstore had a foul, dusty, and moldy odor. I was not impressed or pleased.

Interview Questions

• Do you have a good relationship with your current boss?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Half Price Books (Austin, TX) in June 2013.

Interview

Was referred by an employee. Set up a time with a manager for an in person interview which consisted of the store manager and one assistant manager. Very friendly and non-confrontational, they asked questions that were relevant to the retail/bookstore landscape and didn't throw any curveballs. Having experience in the field is a plus, and having knowledge of the chain as a customer also seems to impress when you are in the hot seat.

Interview Questions

• What difficulties did you have in working with your last manager?   Answer Question