Half Price Books Interview Questions

2.1

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mesa, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mesa, AZ

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Half Price Books in September 2013.

As a transferring Assistant Manager from one district to another I had two phone interviews with the Store Manager, two email questionnaires, then flew out to meet the Store Manager and District Manager, spent a day working in the store, had an informal interview with the manager at the store then had a dinner interview with the Store Manger and District Manger.

Interview Questions
    • How do you deal with employees trying to ruin the work you are doing?   View Answer
    There is little to no negotiating within HPB they have strict salary scales for position, location, and size of store. I told them what I needed they told me what they could do and I had to make the decision based on that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frisco, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Half Price Books in September 2013.

The interview process at Half Price Books in Frisco, Texas was basic and disappointing. When I arrived the disheveled assistant covered in tattoos presented me with a checklist of job tasks and workplace values. The interview itself was below average. The store manager seemed unapproachable and complained about difficult customers a lot. He did not seem interested in talking too much with me and did not allow for me to speak too much or ask questions. I felt that he would not be a good role-model or a good manager to work for because of that. I felt that the questions he asked me were not related to bookselling. The wage was very disappointing. $8 an hour is really awful.The bookstore had a foul, dusty, and moldy odor. I was not impressed or pleased.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have a good relationship with your current boss?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Half Price Books in June 2013.

Was referred by an employee. Set up a time with a manager for an in person interview which consisted of the store manager and one assistant manager. Very friendly and non-confrontational, they asked questions that were relevant to the retail/bookstore landscape and didn't throw any curveballs. Having experience in the field is a plus, and having knowledge of the chain as a customer also seems to impress when you are in the hot seat.

Interview Questions
    • What difficulties did you have in working with your last manager?   Answer Question

Book Seller I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Half Price Books in June 2013.

My interview was with the store manager. It was easy and casual. I was asked basic questions about my past job experiences. Examples of accomplishments and failures, also how well I thought I would handle the stress that comes with a high volume buy counter and customer service issues. They wanted to make sure I had well rounded knowledge of what I would be buying and selling, so some discussion about books, music, movies, etc.. After he seemed to decide I was a good fit, he went into more detail about the importance of knowing what does and doesn't sell in our store. Then he explained the compensation plan, and stressed the quarterly bonus as incentive. Also stressed were the generous PTO schedule, health insurance, and the paid hour lunch.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a problem or stressful situation in a past job. How did you resolve it and what did you learn from it?   View Answer
    None

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frisco, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Half Price Books.

Very casual interview, only took about 20 minutes. I interviewed with the manager and assistant manager at the same time, both very nice guys. The interview took place in a small and cramped office in the back. They asked the basic questions about my previous work experience and about my personal hobbies.

They told me about the hours and benefits which seem good. The pay starts out at minimum wage and the job seems physically and mentally demanding. You are more than just a bookseller/cashier, there's some janitorial work involved too and also a lot of heavy lifting. I wish they would have told me this before I came in for the interview.

Interview Questions

Wasn't willing to do janitorial work and heavy lifting.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Half Price Books.

Responded to craigslist add and applied. Interviewed for a new store location in Austin, TX. Met at home office in north Austin since the new location was not open yet. Interviewed with store manager and an assistant manager who had both been at the company a long time. Store manager had visible piercings/tattoos and pink hair so they are okay with self expression in the form of appearance, which is cool (yay Austin). Interview lasted about 30 minutes. They didn't hire me initially, but got an offer about 2 weeks after they had selected first choice candidates. Typical interview questions, nothing too daunting.

Interview Questions
    • If you were asked to capture 100 butterflies, how would you go about accomplishing that task?   View Answer

There was no way I could possibly live on $8/hr working 40 hours per week. I have a 4 year degree and live alone. This would be okay for someone who doesn't mind living with several roommates or is married to someone with decent income. Otherwise the job was very appealing to me, but I was forced to decline b/c of the pay thing. Even $10/hr would have been better.

Full Time Bookseller In Avon, IN Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Avon, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Avon, IN

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Half Price Books in March 2013.

I finished filling out an application for a full time bookseller on a Saturday night at around 11:30pm and received a call for an interview the next day on Sunday at around 2:00pm.

The interview was very laid back and the Manager and Assistant Manager made me feel very comfortable. They asked the following questions:

"Tell us why you're here today."

"What kind of people do you like working with?"

"What kind of music do you listen to? What kind of books do you read?"

"Have you shopped at this location Half Price Books before?"

"How would your previous employer describe you?"

"What are your pet peeves in real life or at work?"

"How would you describe your work ethic?"

Interview Questions
    • The two hardest questions were, "How would you describe your work ethic?" and "What are your pet peeves"   Answer Question

The pay was too low $8/hr even with free health insurance. Otherwise, I would have accepted. There was no room to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomingdale, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomingdale, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Half Price Books in February 2013.

The interview consisted of your basic interview questions. Describe a situation where you had to deal with a difficult co-worker, etc. Ended the interview with a goofy question, "What super power do you wish had and how would you use it?"

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation in which you improved or streamlined an already existing system.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Half Price Books in May 2012.

They asked a lot of obscure questions about how you saw yourself and how you viewed yourself as someone they should hire. Not too many questions actually pertaining to retail or book selling. Also asked about where I want to be in 10 years and questions about previous jobs and my customer service experiences.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in 10 years....and questions about dealing with people (customers) in certain situations.   Answer Question

Full-Time Temp Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at Half Price Books in February 2012.

Three Half Price Books employees were in the room when I interviewed. The mood was light and informal. The hardest question I was asked was, "How do you define customer service?" They also asked how I deal with stress, to tell them something about myself that was not on my application, basic stuff like that.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations, but they respected the fact that I had immovable grad school classes to attend.