Hall Capital Partners

Relevance Date Difficulty

Analyst Interview

Analyst

Interviewed at Hall Capital Partners

Interview Details – I interviewed over the phone with multiple people, sometimes one on one and other times with two people. All the questions were about fit and it seemed to go well most of the time. Got a second round interview for the position in San Francisco the next day and then didn't hear back for a while.

Interview Question – Why Hall Capital?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Hall Capital Partners

Interview Details – First round was over the phone and was mostly all behavioral questions and what you know about the company, etc. Friendly interviewer and easy to talk to. Next round was similar but longer (about 45min compared to 30min).

Interview Question – What did you learn from the first interviewer?   Answer Question

Portfolio Managemtn Analyst Interview

Portfolio Managemtn Analyst
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hall Capital Partners in November 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online for a position in research that a professor had told me about. Then I got an email from Hall asking if I was interested in PM, which I of course was. I then applied for the PM position online. Then I had a phone interview. The interview seemed casual enough, just behavioral questions, what you know about the company, tell me about yourself, etc. I thought it went well, but I did not get a second round interview. I heard they recruit from the Bay area. I have a friend from that area that accepted an offer there. He is outstanding, so I bet the company is as well.

Interview Question – Tell me what you know about Hall Capital Partners.   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Portfolio Management Group Analyst Interview

Portfolio Management Group Analyst
New York, NY

I interviewed at Hall Capital Partners in November 2013.

Interview Details – First two rounds of interviews over the phone, very behavioral. Final round was in person, met a lot of different people within the firm, also very behavioral. Not much finance discussed at all. Mostly background and ideas about job prospects and career growth

Interview Question – Had to do some work on excel spreadsheet and a personality/IQ test   Answer Question

Nov 25, 2013

We wish you all the best in your job search. Good luck!

Interviewed at Hall Capital Partners

Interview Details – Quick to get back and interviewers are quite friendly.

Interview Question – THey mainly asked behavioral questions including explaining times when you've worked as a team player, how you've overcome a difficult situation, how you got to be interested in finance, and describing what you know about the company.   Answer Question

Nov 25, 2013

Good luck in your job search. We wish you all of the best.

Analyst, Portfolio Management Group Interview

Analyst, Portfolio Management Group
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Hall Capital Partners in June 2012.

Interview Details – They begin with an initial 20-30 minutes phone interview with an entry level analyst. Then if you progress you move onto an interview with an investment associate/ senior associate. Both of these interviews are very behavioral and ask basic knowledge of financial markets. Following this process they will bring you in for a final in person interview.

The ABSOLUTE worst thing about this process is they over extend it, and make it extremely long. They will LIE and give you bull- sh** time frames such as " you will hear back early next week," or "you will be notified within a week time frame about whether we will be advancing you." THIS IS A LIE.

I applied for a position with a July start date early in June, was not contacted to begin the process until late June. Then the first and second interview were conducted rather quickly and they notified me in a timely manner. Regarding the third and final interview, I was not notified in a timely manner, I was not given a definitive answer regarding the position for a MONTH and a HALF!!! In the interim I was contacted about 3 times, ONLY once I reached out to HR to ask about the position opening and the position status. They never once notified me for a switch in the time frame, and once that position was filled, and about new openings. They continued to express interest in me until I continued to ask about the position with little or no feedback.

For an entry- level position requiring 0 years of relevant work experience they seem to hire people only from top universities, CURRENTLY located in the area, and whom have inside connections/ or have previous experience.

Absolutely ZERO respect for their professionalism, and general regard for potential candidates. They handle everything on their schedule and at their convenience. DO NOT bother applying if you are not currently residing in the area, they will not pay for relocation, OR EVEN your flight/ travel to the interview if you are out of state or a long distance away. They will also give you ZERO notice to plan the interview trip ahead of time, even if sufficient time is there, and they WILL expect you to begin work on their schedule with LITTLE/ NO notice to relocate or plan for yourself.

Finally they conduct the interviews in a disorganized and unprofessional manner. You will only interview with employees who do not specialize in hiring or conducting interviews. Every interview will begin with them reading directly off of a script, the same script, giving background on the company. There is NO flow to the interview and they will jump from questions about yourself to questions about the firm, to questions about financial markets in general. I do not believe HR and the interviewers communicate quickly or effectively. The interviewers have ZERO interest in making a strong case as to why you should be hired and do not care, even if they really like you.

Interview Question – Tell me about the different asset classes that we, at Hall Capital Partners, invest in? Tell me what Hall Capital Partners does?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – They were extremely unprofessional, they are not forward or clear with salary/ benefits from the start, give little or no feedback regarding their interest or desire to continue negotiating, inconsiderate of time frames/ commitments that you may have with other potential firms, CHEAP (did not/ will not pay for last minute travel), not accommodating to any of your needs as a candidate/ recruit.

Aug 30, 2013

I am sorry your experience was not a good one. I am happy to say that in the year since you interviewed we have made some GREAT changes in the areas you mention - candidates are contacted soon after ... More

Portfolio Management Analyst

I applied online and interviewed at Hall Capital Partners.

Interview Details – Was contacted by HR for first round phone interview (30 minutes).
-The interviewer spent about 15 minutes describing the job description, company culture, who the new hire will be working with, etc. Later on was asked about why interested in working here, what do you know about the company, (they are looking for detailed answer, really need to show your enthusiasm and interest) Last question was what interest you outside of work (I assume they are looking for answer such as reading news articles related to capital markets, finance, etc, and make sure you can tell them an interesting article you have read recently)
-Make sure you ask a lot of knowledgeable questions..

-After the interview, was told that there will be one more phone interview and a final round on-site interview, but I got a rejection letter a week after

Interview Question – What interest you outside of your work   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Research Analyst

Interviewed at Hall Capital Partners

Interview Details – The hiring process is very long and drawn out - think I had 5 interviews and met almost every member of the research team.

Interview Question – How do you define risk?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Didn't have much leverage - great place to work and many people willing to take the job. Didn't get any additional compensation or benefits.

Client Services Analyst Interview

Client Services Analyst
San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Hall Capital Partners in December 2011.

Interview Details – First round: Campus interview 1:1. Pretty basic, they exampled what the company does and what you will be doing in the position. Important to pay attention the whole time and ask intelligent knowledgeable questions.

Final round: was at the office 3 1:1 interviews. Basic questions about past experiences, past internships, why you want this position, and why you are fit for this position. Attention to detail is an important point to hit, also that you are interested in the industry and capable of working in a team.

After the second interview they gave me a writing assessment. It was a 20-30 minute writing sample "Tell us why you want to work at Hall Capital Partners and why you would be a good fit for this position". I just typed a page on Microsoft Word on a laptop PC. Then the last interviewer comes in and finishes up the interview process.

After the final round interview I was called a week later and asked to take a Caliper personality test. I think this is where I screwed up because everything seemed fine. I am not sure how to take those tests but I definitely didn't answer genuinely and I think it cost me the job. Research how to take these if you get that far. Also the test comes for IQ questions that the answers are littered all over google.

I got called two weeks later saying that I was not selected.

Overall: Interviewers were not intimating and were easy to connect with on a personal level. Seems like the entry level position takes a long time to move up from, but the work environment seems decent and I think that's why employees stay, also probably why they placed a lot of importance on the personality test.

Also inconsiderate with the timing of their personality test. It should have been after the first round on campus.

Interview Questions

• If you were to explain a what a hedge fund was to a 5 year old, what would you tell him? (final round)   Answer Question
  • Why should we hire you over the other applicants? (final round)   Answer Question

Client Services Analyst Interview

Client Services Analyst

Interviewed at Hall Capital Partners

Interview Details – Very positive in-person interview. Made it through the final round of interviews. However, after all the interviews, they failed to give me any feedback or definitive answers until 2 and a half to 3 weeks after they said they would have the decision ready. The process and their treatment of me as an applicant felt slightly unprofessional.

Interview Question – Was not a very technical interview. Just be ready to clearly explain your experience and interest in working in finance.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Hall Capital Partners? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hall Capital Partners interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by Hall Capital Partners employees and interview candidates.