Halliburton

Updated Dec 2, 2014

2.3

18 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lafayette, LA

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Halliburton in November 2014.

I applied through the University Career Services. A week or so after they called me for an on-campus interview. That one was pretty general. Just talk about yourself, why you want to be a Field Engineer, are you able to cope with long work hours etc... The person who interviewed me said that he would recommend me based on my answers and that I did pretty good on the interview. About a week after, I received an email instructing me to choose my top 3 locations and top 3 service lines. I chose Gulf of mexico, for I wanted to go off-shore. After that, HR got in touch with me to schedule a trip to Lafayette-LA for the second round interview. Here is where it gets tricky... There is no interview. This is a 2 day deal. First night we met at a nice restaurant with a 7-10 reps from Halliburton from their different service lines, and the other candidates. Many of the guys at my interview were new to Halliburton, 1-2 years with the company, and some had either recently break out or were close to do so. So during Dinner, just try to socialize. if you are 100% certain what service line you want, look for that rep and talk to him.. Socialize.. socialize.. that's what this is all about. If you want to play safe ask them about how many openings are in each PSL to improve your chances. I think I did the mistake of talking with the wrong people all night long.

Second day. Just meet over at their location and then sit for hours looking at the reps do presentations about the PSL they work for. Some presentations were good, others looked like they just put a whole bunch of slides together to do the presentation and get over with that. But anyways, its not you judging them. After all day off going thru presentations, you get to fill out a paper, once again, with your top 3 selection of PSLs. After that, the hiring manager from your top choice calls you into a F2F "interview" ... My interview went as follows:

"Any concerns about working for Halliburton? No, this is the job I want, I have researched about this position a lot, and I am really excited at this opportunity "

"Any problem with relocation? No, I'm 100% available for relocation or travel"

"When are you available to begin? I have my last final on Dec 15th 2014, I am available Dec 16th 2014. I'm not even attending the commencement (yes.. that's how eager I was to work with them)"

"Do you have any questions for us?" Here I asked about training schools and about some specifics about the PSL I chose

"You will hear from us within the next 2 weeks, bye."

So in short... the only advise I have for everyone doing this is, just socialize. To this date I don't know what I did wrong, my grades were good, my resume was good, have a 2 year long internship (although they didn't look at any of my transcripts nor resume during the second round). Also, you never get a chance to talk to your 2nd or 3rd choice of PSL, I don't know why they ask you about them.

Other Interview Reviews for Halliburton

Associate Technical Professional Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Halliburton.

I first became interested in Halliburton through the engineering job fair. One note, they do not take resumes, you have to submit everything online. After going through the online process, I got an on campus interview. The on campus interview was pretty typical; sign up for a time slot, go and talk to a manager or HR rep. The questions were more or less about why you are interested in working for Halliburton. Some time after the initial interview I received an email for a second interview in Duncan, OK. The second interview was a kind of round Robbin type were you meet with a manager from one of the PSL's for about 30-45 minutes, talk and answer standard behavioral questions, then move on to a different manager. The second round interview is pretty much all day. After my second round I got a phone call a few days later giving me an offer for two different PSL's to choose from.

Interview Questions
    • Like I said they are all pretty much standard behavioral questions. In fact some of the managers barely asked any of them because the conversation ran a little to long.   Answer Question
    There really wasn't a negotiation phase, I'm sure this was because it is an entry level position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kingsville, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kingsville, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Halliburton.

Halliburton was doing campus recruiting. They interviewed several students. Only a few got 2nd interviews. They were flown to Odessa for a two day, see how everything works tour. Interviews were conducted and offer letters sent by email a month or so later. Recieved $10,000 bonus that is received $5000 initially, $2000 after some training and another $3000 later.

There is no negotiation

Associate Technical Professional Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Halliburton.

Attended my university's career fair and talked with a TP from the field. Went to information session a couple weeks later and was asked to come in for an on-campus interview the next day. First interview was as described- very basic behavioral questions that anyone can answer. Whether or not interviewer likes you is dependent on your personality and character IMHO. Received email invitation for second interview ~5-6 weeks later. Second interview was very laid back. If you make it this far, you are doing very well. Whether you receive an offer is very dependent on your interest and interaction with the Halliburton team you are with. They will ask you questions during the two days on site (only one informal, exit 'interview') so pay attention.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Very good contract, good pay (a lot of bonuses in the field), and excellent benefits.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Duncan, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Duncan, OK

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Halliburton in April 2014.

The process consisted of a total of 5 interviews. Each interview was 45 minutes long and involved talking directly to a hiring manager that was looking to fill positions for their product service line (PSL).

Interview Questions
    • The process was at the max 3 technical questions then it was all about your resume.

Name a time you were in a group and experienced a set back, how did you handle it?

Answer Question

Associate Technical Professional Interview

There is an initial interview either over the phone, email or in person. The 2nd round interview is always in person - usually includes a tour of the local facility, a dinner or lunch and takes place anywhere from 2-4 weeks after the initial interview. 2-4 weeks after the 2nd round interview depending on how well you did is when you may get an offer.

Interview Questions
    • At some point in your career you will fail and millions of dollars will be on the line - how do you plan on handling this?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brighton, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brighton, CO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Halliburton in March 2013.

They did a 20 min phone interview with me and asked 5 typical "Tell me about a time..." questions. They got back to me about 2 weeks later and invited me to a 2nd interview in Brighton CO. They flew me out there on a Wednesday morning. Dress was business casual, no tie or coat. We met in the hotel lobby around 3pm and had a PowerPoint presentation of the different product service lines (PSL's). They took us to dinner around 5pm and back to the hotel around 7:30. Thursday morning we met (there were 9 of us) in the lobby at 5am, they took us to breakfast and we headed to a frac job. We had lunch and then back to the training center/field camp and toured the lab. To end it we had the individual "formal" interview where they asked us what we thought and what our preferential PSL and location was. They ask a mind teaser but it's a comfortable environment so I didn't feel stressed. 2 weeks after the 2nd interview they called me and said the interview went well and that they'd email me an offer letter. A few days later I received the offer letter and had a week and a half to reply. The second interview is for the candidate to see what the job is really like and how bad the hours are going to be and then if you're still interested and seem excited about it, they'll likely make you an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Why is a manhole cover round?   View Answer
    • You have a room with 3 light bulbs in it, the switches are outside the room, you start outside the room, you can only go in the room once, how do you know which switches are for which bulbs?   View Answer
    • You have a hefty anchor in a small boat, you throw the anchor into the water, what happens to the water level?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hobbs, NM
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hobbs, NM

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Halliburton in March 2013.

They want candidates that desire hands on work and aren't afraid to get dirty. It goes without saying that this isn't a job for everyone, and if you're not willing to put in the hours, get dirty, and work in remote locations, this is not the job for you. If you make it clear that you fit these criteria through the the first interview processes, you have a decent chance of getting to the second interview.

The second interview is onsite as functions more as an tour. You see some of the technology, the office, some current field engineers, and possibly visit a field site. Then, you tell them your choice. Having seen the technology, and the location, do you still want to work for Halliburton? In what product service line are you interested in? Other than that, depending on your panel, you might receive some technical questions. This is really a dummy check more than anything, and if you paid any attention in school you should be able to figure out most of them.

Interview Questions
    • I got one question that was very unexpected: What is the definition of a circle? Seriously.   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lafayette, LA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Halliburton in January 2013.

I contacted Halliburton through a campus career fair. They set up a one on one on campus interview that same week. This initial interview was the only real interview. It consisted of about five situational questions and was more like a guided conversation.

After two weeks I was notified that I had been selected for a second round. I am convinced that the job was mine to lose at this point. This interview was more of a wine and dine situation. Our group of interviewees (about 10) were met with a group of Halliburton representatives. They took us out to dinner and basically just wanted to socialize with us. It was by far the most relaxing follow up interview ever. We spent one day watching presentations on several departments that were hiring and at the end of the day we were instructed to write our top three choices. Again, this is a very informal interview used to educate potential candidates about the company. Be polite and have fun.

I left the interview on a thursday and received an offer the following Monday.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time you had to work out of your area of expertise.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation phase. This is an entry position and the package offered was very competitive.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kilgore, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kilgore, TX

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Halliburton in October 2009.

No formal interview. Just watched a presentation on the position and went out on location to view a job. Mostly a get to know you session.