Hallmark

Average Difficulty
20 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Staten Island, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hallmark in May 2013.

Interview Details – I received a call about two weeks after I handed in the application in store, along with my resume. I arrived early, and had to wait for the two interviewers to come out. One was a general manager, the other was the store manager. We walked to the food court where the interview was held. It was a casual interview, and I was told I would receive a call if I got the job.

Interview Question – What qualities do you have that makes you fit for this job.?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hallmark in February 2013.

Interview Details – I applied in person and was asked a few simple pre-interview questions just after I handed in the application. It took a little less than 3 weeks to receive and interview. The interview process was handled by two managers and they were about 45 minutes each. The questions varied from "Name a time you exceeded a customers expectations?", "Name a time where a customer had a bad experience and you had to help them out?", " Where do you see yourself in 5 years?", "What does the Hallmark Brand mean to you?" I then after was asked to take a bubble test that was about 185 questions, and read two small booklets that we're given to me before taking this test. This interview really forced me to think on a different level than I normally need to for a typical interview.

Interview Question – He handed me a teddy bear from the store and asked me to role play and to sell it to him. He said he was looking for a specific way of selling it and it put me under an extreme amount of pressure. - "Name a time where your manager has coached you through something you weren't doing correctly, and explain the process to both went through to me step by step, and tell me what you got from the experience and how the coaching helped you?"   View Answer

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Hallmark.

Interview Details – There weren't any solicitations for positions open, however, I was able to approach the store manager and ask if they were hiring. The line of questioning was pretty straight forward. I felt comfortable and because I had prior experience in sales, that was a plus. After the initial interview, there is a test you have to take to determine if you can handle simple transactions and consumer issues.

Interview Question – If a customer is clearly upset and not satisfied with their purchase and they do not have a receipt for the item purchased, how would you perform that transaction?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to somewhat negotiate. Whenever you ask for a certain salary range, it gets a little sticky, but it was overall just a great experience.

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and interviewed at Hallmark.

Interview Details – I dropped off my resume at the store and was called within a few days. I was asked to come in for an in-person interview, which was very simple and straight forward. I'm sure it helped that I was definitely qualified and was looking for a part-time position. I was offered the job that day and started pretty much immediately.

Negotiation Details – I did not try to negotiate.

Interviewed at Hallmark

Interview Details – Easy interview

Interview Question – Asked me to make large sums of change in my head   Answer Question

Interviewed at Hallmark

Interview Details – filled out paper application, was called a week later to come in to interview, manager asked basic questions such as my work history, why i left my past jobs, and why i want the position and how hallmark will help me in my life

Interview Question – whats the difference between customer service and sales   Answer Question

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hallmark in March 2011.

Interview Details – The interview was not formal, I spoke with the manager and she must have really liked me because she told me how flexible the job was and I got a call back two weeks later and they offered me the job.

Interview Question – N/A   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – N/A

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Hallmark in April 2010.

Interview Details – One interview then a call back that I was hired.

Interview Question – Personality test   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied in-person and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Hallmark in January 2013.

Interview Details – I filled out a paper application in the store on the spot. Left it with the manager and received a call to schedule an interview about an hour later. I was interviewed by the manager and she basically did most of the talking. A few generic interview questions and a basic description of the position. She said she understood my tough schedule with school and extracurriculars and said she would try her hardest to accommodate that. I left, and got a call from her 4 days later offering me a job. The people involved in the process were all very easygoing and warm.

Interview Question – What is one challenge you had to overcome in school?   Answer Question

Virginia Beach, VA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Hallmark in March 2008.

Interview Details – I filled out my application in the store and about 3-5 days later the store manager called me to come in for an interview. *The interviews are between the times of 10:30am and 11:45am.* My interview was done by the store manager and one of the store owners. They asked questions about prior work experience(mostly dealing with retail experience), schedule availability, was I firmilar with the company or had ever shopped there before, they also asked questions about basic customer service things like "what does customer service mean to you?" "How would you deal with an upset customer?" and "How would you deal with a suspected shoplifter?" They did do a role play type thing where they gave me a situation where a customer came in and said it was "there sisters birthday and they didnt know what to get her." So they made me tell them things I might ask the customer to get to know more about the person the gift was for so I could make it more personalized to the persons interests. All I said was I would first ask the age of the gift reciver, ask if they have any specific hobbies or interests, and are they more of a serious or humorous person(that was because they have a few sections that have humorous type gifts). The whole interview lasted about 20-30 minutes at the most. The store manager did call me back the next day to offer me the job and I excepted the offer and worked there for 4 years after that.

I witnessed alot of interviews being held in that time and some advice I can offer for anyone who is interested in working there is: 1. Do not be even 1 minute late for the interview. 2. Don't be intemidated if you don't have any previous retail experience. 3. If they ask if you are good on the computer, that does not mean you have to know any of the microsoft programs, because the only computer you will operate is the cash register that is a step by step program that is very detailed and hard to even mess up. 4. If they ask if you are allergic to dust or any kind of smells it is because the job does require the sales associates to clean the product displays and sometimes they can be some what dusty.Smells is refering to the yankee candle display on the other side of the store. You barley smell it from the registers. 5. They will ask if you have an issue standing for up to 8 hours,after about 3 weeks you get used to it and 8 hour shifts arnt common,they are either 4hrs, 5hrs, or 7hrs. Pretty much when you go to the interview just be confident that you can do what they need done as far as your job position goes, and dont be nervous, just sound like you know what your talking about in your answers to there questions and you will do great.

If the interview results in a job offer that you accept, I will say that due to the store being a smaller retail store there is only about between 9-15 (15 being the very most) employees that work there at once, and for whatever reason they rarely hire men (none were hired when I was working there for 4 years) so the 9=15 employees are all females ranging in age from (based on when I was there) 22-81 years of age. Because of this it can get a bit catty at times due to female gossip, clashing of personalitys, moods, and age differences.

Interview Questions

• What does customer service mean to you?   View Answer
  • Describe a time when you went out of your way to help a customer find just what they needed. Or describe and occation that you had to handle a very upset customer, what did you do/say to them, and how did you handle the situation?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation phase at this place. When you apply and put your employment history(recent at most past two jobs), if you were paid higher than what they pay, they wont call you for an interview. They offer all new employees the same starting wage which is between 7.75 or 8.00 so they tell you thats what they offer and that they dont start out any higher. There raise system is the same. Your first raise is after three years(.10 cent raise) then at your five year mark(.15 cent raise), and then after 10 years(.15 cent raise). That is it and they do not do negotiations with that either.

Worked for Hallmark? Contribute to the Community!