Hand and Stone Spa

Updated Nov 14, 2014
Updated Nov 14, 2014

1.9

Licensed Massage Therapist Interview

The interview consists of you having to speak to manager and also the owner and then if they like you, you will have a hands on interview with the lead therapist

Esthetician Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hand and Stone Spa in May 2014.

Applied online and received a call that day to come in for an interview. They ask on the phone when your license expires and if you have liability insurance. The lady interviewing me was very nice asked about my background and experience. Know about the products and the services the do. They want someone who can perform all of them including full body waxing. Was offered the job but it was weekends only.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard questions just about your license and about yourself.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New City, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New City, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hand and Stone Spa in September 2013.

The interview was very brief! Only the basic questions were asked, nothing that would make you uncomfortable in any way. They then asked what hours I would be willing to work, previous job salary, etc. I then filled out my application, because I had emailed my resume and wished for the best.

Interview Questions
    • Are you certified to do microdermabrasion, peels, etc. ?   Answer Question

Front Desk Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hand and Stone Spa in September 2013.

Awesome interview, relaxed

There was none took a lower pay while training then $$ holy I was looking for

Esthetician Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Hand and Stone Spa.

walked in and dropped off resume

No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palm Harbor, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palm Harbor, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Hand and Stone Spa in June 2013.

I had a scheduled interview for a certain location and was never told it was actually going to be for a new store that was opening up. They didn't seem to like a lot of my questions and kind of brushed me off during the interview. He really tried to make it sound exciting and that I'd be making a lot of money on only $15 a massage even if it was deep tissue I wouldn't make more for my extra work. It was also nice to know that they save money by not paying the fees for credit card tips, but instead take it out of your tip to cover the fee while telling me that I shouldn't mind. Cutting so many corners like that you should be paying your hard working therapist better. I actually ended up with another interview later that day for another spa and was immediately offered 4x more and they showed real concern for their employees and respect the hard work they do.

Interview Questions
    • They didn't care to ask me too many questions just what products I was familiar with, how good is my pressure, and how many back to back massages could I do in a day.   Answer Question

It was obvious to see why they have such a high turn over rate and why we were warned about places like this from all of our educators in school. Having a dual license I know that my education, time, and effort are worth more than $15 a massage no matter which modality I do.

LMT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hand and Stone Spa in June 2013.

was very simple, asked about what I liked best about being a therapist. Also wanted to know skill sets and different techniques

Interview Questions
    was not one, its 32%, of what the total cost of the session is.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Hand and Stone Spa in April 2013.

Position posting was on Craigslist for a new Hand and Stone Spa. The interview was with the owner. Since the Spa did not open yet, the interview was at the Panera Bread next door. He was very enthusiastic about the new Spa. He explained the requirements, pay scale and services the spa would provide. He also clearly stated I would not be responsible for selling memberships. This was a relief because I am a LMBT not a salesperson. I dressed in business casual and again since the spa was not open yet, there was no mention of performing a demo massage.

Interview Questions
    • The owner was not a massage therapist but was in the medical software field. So the interview was on more of a business level interview vs. strictly all massage therapy questions or inquiries about modalities.   Answer Question
    The owner sent me an offer letter explaining the pay scale with all tiers included. Bonus was also listed for each additional service the client adds on the massage.
    The pay scale is 16.48 - 18.48 per session (depending on requests for you). Plus any additional add-ons and bonus from any new member sign up from your session. Also, there is no pay during your shift when you are not in session. :( This is the downfall. So if you are booked for only 2 massages during a 6 or 8 hour shift and there are no walk-ins then yes, your pay is only for those 2 massages. Fortunately, the spa is in a prime location and I am crossing my fingers that clients will be abundant. Plan B, could be to look for additional hours in another setting.

Front Desk Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tustin, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tustin, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hand and Stone Spa in January 2013.

I applied for this position via their website and received a call from the manager within 15 minutes of applying to set up an in-person interview. He briefly asked my availability and we set up an interview for the following day. I could tell they were in need of hiring someone ASAP.

The location of the interview took place in one of the dimly light spa rooms on 2 chairs next to the massage bed. That, in itself, made me feel cozy and comfy. I was then asked all the generic interview questions that any job preparation tutorial outlines for you, such as, "Tell me about youself..." and "What are your strengths and weaknesses?"

The whole process took about 30 minutes and I was offered the job the same day.

Interview Questions
    • The manager continued to explain that it takes a "special type of person" to be in sales and asked what my experience in that field was. After verbally expressing my sales background, he gave me a stapler and told me to sell it to him.   View Answer
    I wasn't given the opportunity to negotiate pay. I was simply told that the starting pay for this position was $8.50/hour and asked if I'd be interested.

Membership Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manalapan, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manalapan, NJ

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hand and Stone Spa in July 2012.

I applied online at first, and then received a phone call from the owner within the next coming weeks. I had a brief phone interview where the owner asked about my previous work experience and my availability for the coming months. We then immediately scheduled a in-person interview for the following day. I drove to the location and was immediately greeted by the nicest women who would later become my incredible boss. The 1:1 interview was first where they inquired more about my skills and what I would offer to the spa. Standard interview questions were also asked and then I met the manager and had a 2:1 interview. They explained the salary and commission details, and then offered me a part-time position, that I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • "Can you start tomorrow?" It was unexpected, and they were extremely understanding if I could not, but I of course accepted.   Answer Question