Hanover Research Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2015

2.9

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hanover Research.

Interview

This was a very drawn-out process. The initial intake was great. But when I got to the stage where (presumably) hiring managers were involved, things turned south, fast, and I felt terribly disrespected after having spent so many hours of my own time away from my current job to apply. I think these folks need to learn how to winnow down their candidates more quickly. Instead, it appears that they put way too many applicants through way to many steps before dropping them. Perhaps they need to involve hiring managers earlier on in their process. I was given the impression that I was actually being considered for a job when in fact, I don't think I was - HR and the hiring managers must not have been communicating until more than a month after initial contact. Mostly, I just can't believe that I was asked to invest so much of my own time only to be denied an actual in-person interview with a hiring manager. In hindsight, I should have backed out of this process much earlier. What kind of employer asks you to spend a week on a mock assignment before even giving you an interview?! That was the red flag that I missed.

Interview Questions

• The phone interviewer asked pretty standard questions, asking for a description of your background, etc.   Answer Question

Research Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hanover Research.

Interview

This process took about 3 weeks total and began in February. I submitted my application materials, then had a phone screening interview with a very friendly recruiter, completed a homework assignment (I had a week to do so), and then had two phone interviews with upper level employees and an entry level associate. I should also mention that I had an employee referral and that was very helpful in getting my application materials read. A word of advice in interviewing, everyone is very friendly but also very sharp, so prepare well.

Interview Questions

Hanover Research Response

Aug 25, 2015 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback and welcome to Hanover! I am glad you had a positive experience working with our recruiter as well as our hiring team. Over 25% of our hires come from referrals so you are ... More

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hanover Research.

Interview

I had an overall positive experience. I applied through an employee referral, and was asked to complete a questionnaire that consisted of personality questions and some open-ended questions. After that there was a phone interview; very straightforward, asked about my research experience, availability, salary, etc. The recruiter was very professional and was very helpful through the entire application process

Interview Questions

• When cold-calling an industry expert, what would be your method?   Answer Question

Aug 4, 2015 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am so glad to hear that you had a positive interview experience with Hanover.

Business Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Hanover Research (Arlington, VA) in June 2015.

Interview

I was initially called on the phone after submitting my application online. I was then asked to fill out an online test which the recruiter sent to me after my interview. After filling out the online test I was then asked to come in for an on-site interview in Arlington. I met with two managers and then another gentlemen after that.

Interview Questions

Hanover Research Response

Jul 10, 2015 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback and welcome to Hanover! I hope you enjoyed your new role.

Content Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Hanover Research (Arlington, VA) in June 2015.

Interview

Initial screening interview was the first step followed by providing writing samples, online assessment and finally, for me, a copy edit asssignment which I was given five days to complete but instructed to only spend eight hours on. The eight hours was reasonable since in the real world deadlines are real and you don't have an infinite amount of time to complete assignments.

Interview Questions

• As it was a month or so ago, I don't remember the exact conversation but the person I spoke to did inquire about salary expectation.   1 Answer
    • I would like to add that the person that I was working with during the interview process was extremely courteous, timely and professional throughout. It is unfortunate I did not get the position. None the less, if my contact during the interview process is reflecitive of the company I would imagine it would be a good place to work.   Answer Question

Aug 12, 2015 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to hear that you had a positive interview experience with Hanover and that you were treated courteously throughout the process.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hanover Research.

Interview

I met the recruiter at campus career fair. Got the interview notification about half month later after submitting my resume and cover letter. Three rounds of interview. First round: preparing a report. Second round: phone interview with recruiters. Third round: panel interview. The interviewers were very nice.

Interview Questions

• whether you are comfortable working independently or in a team   Answer Question

May 14, 2015 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to read that you had both a positive recruiting experience AND accepted an offer to join us.

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Hanover Research.

Interview

The position I was asked to interview for was different from the position I applied to. Applied online. Received an e-mail about 1 month later to complete an online assessment. Received another e-mail, about 1 week after completing the assessment, for a phone screen interview. Heard back in a week that they were not interested in moving forward with the process.

Interview Questions

Hanover Research Response

May 14, 2015 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. We took the comments and critique from previous reviews very seriously and made an effort to improve the areas where we had been dropping the ball. I am glad to see that ... More

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Hanover Research in May 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter just a few days after submitting my application. Like everyone else, I was asked to take a test (it took me a bit longer to take - about an hour and a half - and included exercises like choosing the words that best describe yourself from a given set as well as more traditional SAT-type exercises that test grammar, logic, etc.) . A few days later another recruiter emailed to schedule a phone interview. I emailed her the times I was available and never got a response so I followed up with her a couple days later and we arranged a time. The phone interview started very formally. It began with the recruiter giving me a general overview of the position, salary range and next steps in the interview process, though I believe this part was read based on the wording and the tone of her voice. We then moved on to her asking me fairly standard behavioral questions. The interview was relatively relaxed and I felt it generally went well; the recruiter told me she would be passing my her notes on to the team I would be working with and that she would be in touch within the next week or so. As promised, a few days later she sent a thoughtful email thanking me for my interest but told me the team went with another applicant. A word of advice: The recruiter emphasized that this specific position calls for a lot of individual work. As a new graduate, I was looking for a more team-oriented work environment where I could find mentorship.

Interview Questions

Hanover Research Response

Jul 28, 2015 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback and interest in Hanover Research. I am glad to hear that your overall interview experience was positive and that you and the recruiter were able to assess that this role ... More

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Hanover Research (Arlington, VA) in May 2015.

Interview

As others have described, the interview process is lengthy and time consuming, but I had an overall positive experience. I applied through an employee referral, and was asked to complete a questionnaire that consisted of personality questions and some open-ended questions that I think are intended to test creativty and ability to think on your feet. After that there was a phone interview; very straightforward, asked about my research experience, when I would be able to start, etc. The recruiter was very professional and was very helpful through the entire application process. After the phone interview, I was given a research assignment to complete, it's not long (3-5 pages) and I was given a week to complete it. I was able to negotiate the start date to work around my academic schedule which I really appreciated. I submitted the report and heard back from the recruiter about a week later letting me know that I was invited to Arlington for the final interview stage. Since I wasn't in the area, they accommodated me by arranging a Skype interview instead. The Skype interview lasted for about an hour, and I was interviewed by two different people. Again, the questions were fairly straightforward and focused on my research experience and how I approached the research assignment. Both interviewers were very engaged and answered all of my questions thoroughly. It was one of the most enjoyable interview experiences I've had; I didn't feel intimidated or as if I was being interrogated, it was a relaxed and informative conversation that helped me learn a lot about the company and position. I heard back from HR 2 days after the interview with an offer.

Interview Questions

• GIve an example of an obstacle you've encountered in your research experience and how you overcame it.   Answer Question

May 28, 2015 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback and welcome to Hanover! I am glad to hear your experience throughout the process was positive and that your recruiter was respectful of your time.

Research Associate Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Hanover Research.

Interview

Let me start off by saying I really, really wanted this job- to the point that I would have turned down a better-paying offer. The company's focus really caught my eye, and their website seriously impressed me. I have to say, their HR was very unorganized and unprofessional. I had my recruiter first miss a phone interview with me because they were late in a meeting. This was understandable, things happen. Second time we scheduled- they never called me. Very unprofessional. Then I went through the rest of the process- the test, the industry report, the final interviews. I was told the company was impressed with my report and would get back to me. Two weeks, my recruiter is out of the country, I don't hear back. I email another HR staff member, indicating that I have had a (better) offer from another company, but that I was very interested in Hanover and would prefer a position there. They get back to me saying they don't know how many people they are hiring. Why drag me through an extensive interview process for weeks on end if you don't know if you're hiring? They missed out on a dedicated and passionate worker.

Interview Questions

Hanover Research Response

Apr 11, 2015 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I can understand your disappointment at not receiving an offer. There is always a lot of competition for entry level positions and we are only able to hire a very small ... More