Hanover Research Interview Questions

Updated Oct 8, 2014
Updated Oct 8, 2014

2.8

Summer Interview

Met company representative at the career fair
    Submitted resume, cover letter and writing piece
    Moved on to the next round : one report project given a week to complete
    2 telephonic interviews with 3 different people from the team

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Hanover Research.

1) Applied to Hanover in early June
    2) Completed an hour-long, online GRE-type test (nothing too difficult)
    3) Spoke to recruiter on the phone for 30 minutes. She informed me that she would send me a mock project to complete.
    4) Spent a week (probably 40 hours) working on a report about international branch campuses. Guidelines were vague but I assumed they were more interested in seeing my writing quality.
    5) I was informed that I would hear back about the project in 4-10 days. Ten days passed and no word. I emailed Hanover and they informed me they received positive feedback on my project.
    6) Scheduled an in-person interview in Washington, DC. Interviewed with 3 project managers. The interview lasted two hours, and my perception was that the interview went well.
    7) Returned home to an email saying the feedback from the interview was positive but that they wanted me to complete ANOTHER project.

---- Here is where I should have said no. At this point, the fact that they used me to complete another project is really insulting.

8) Completed a three-day data analysis project. I was informed I would hear back in 4-10 days. Surprise, surprise, 10 days came and went and no word about the project.
    9) A few weeks later, I received an email saying Hanover was busy with employee evaluations, and they hadn't had a chance to review my second project.
    10) On August 25th, (remember I applied on June 4th), I received a rejection email with no explanation as to why I was not chosen for the position.

I have never had such a terrible experience with a company before. I am just disgusted that Hanover has the audacity to treat its candidates like this. If this is how this company treats its candidates, how does it treat its clients? I wouldn't want to work for this company nor would I want to do business for this company.

Interview Questions
    • Honestly, I do not recall any of the questions being difficult.   Answer Question

Sep 7, 2014CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry to hear that you had a negative experience during the interview process. I agree that the process made a poor use of your time and I have passed this ... More

Solutions Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Hanover Research.

Overall straightforward hiring process and it was done in less than 2 weeks. Company culture is great and work is not too hard. Would recommend the company to my peers.

Research Interview

After submitting the resume, then waited for two weeks before they sent me an assignment about a competitive profiling, and i wrote a report according to their request. then after two weeks, i received an on-site interview, then i got an offer

Business Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online – interviewed at Hanover Research in July 2014.

I submitted my online application and was asked to phone interview 2 days later. After the phone interview, she emailed me a personality test right away and said she would get back to me within a week.

Market Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Hanover Research in July 2014.

First applied online and they will ask for a writing sample of your past work. Got an email for online assessment within a week. The online test is partially timed and partially personality test, some logic questions, and vocabulary test.

Interview Questions
    • Testing vocabulary and lock out backspace for you to type out responses for an open ended question in 3 mins time limit.   Answer Question

Aug 5, 2014CHRO

Thank you so much for your review of the interview process. We have found the Berke Assessment to be an invaluable part of the application process as it allows reviewers to gain insights into a ... More

Research Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Hanover Research.

Phone interview with HR, followed by a personality test, a writing assignment, and an on-site interview with two team leaders. The online test and assignment were ok. Two team leaders I talked to at the on-site, however, appeared extremely burnt out and uninterested. I found it very difficult to carry out an intelligent and in-depth conversation with them.

Interview Questions
    • Standard interview questions concerning academic work and past research experience.   Answer Question

The company offered horrible pay and I could not buy into the research methodology applied there.

Jun 16, 2014CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad you seemed to enjoy some parts of the process but I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed by the salary on offer and felt that the interviewers were less ... More

Development Director Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hanover Research.

Interviewed first with HR - standard behavioral questions. Then with a Sr. Director with more specific sales questions and finally with the Chief Development Officer - who spent a lot of time grilling me and trying to throw me off

Jul 14, 2014CHRO

Firstly, welcome to Hanover Research. We are thrilled that you appreciated the rigor of the interview process and accepted our offer. Secondly, as you know, in Sales, being able to respond in ... More

Senior Content Analyst (Education Practices) Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Hanover Research in June 2014.

I applied online in for the Senior Content Analyst position--a resume and writing sample were required. I was able to land a phone interview, thanks to some LinkedIn networking. That interview went well. I over prepared for it: All they really asked was about my work history and my salary requirement.
    They followed by by email and told me they wanted to interview for a different position that was more aligned to my current job. I initially hesitated, but then gave in because this company seems to be growing,and I wanted to be part of it.
    The next step was for me to take a Berke assessment, a gruelling online test of your aptitude, personality, and probably IQ. I really wish I knew how I did! After that, I was asked to edit a market research report, which I did. After a week, they emailed to tell me that they "decided to move forward with other candidates for this particular opportunity at this point in time." No reason given at all. Since we had moved so far along in the process, I assumed that their decision was based on my editing.
    So I kindly thanked them for the opportunity to contend for the position and asked them to tell me generally what I could improve on with my editing assignment and if I was still in contention for the position I originally applied for. No response. Even if they replied to say that it is company policy to not discuss the assignment, that would have been fine. Any response would have been the courteous move.
    I understand that companies don't want to go back and forth with a rejected job applicant. But I feel that young companies especially should understand the value of treating job applicants with dignity, especially after subjecting them to a demanding interview process, which lasted nearly FOUR WEEKS.
    I wish Hanover Research the best. The interview process deepened my desire to pursue a career in market research. I just want other candidates to be aware of the process.

Aug 5, 2014CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed the process overall but am sorry to hear that you had not received a response to your last email at the time of writing this review. Our ... More

Senior Content Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Hanover Research in May 2014.

About a month after I submitted my application online, I got an email from an HR personnel at Hanover to do a phone interview. The atmosphere was casual (as in she sounded easy-going), but there were definitely very focused questions regarding knowledge of and ability to perform key parts of the job. I even went into some detail about how some of my relevant experiences (both at work and in grad school), and she seemed to have enough of a background to understand a lot of it, and there was some good back-and-forth during the conversation. Toward the end of the chat, it seemed like I had done a successful job of demonstrating my fit to the position, and she talked about the next steps in some detail.

These next steps, occuring within 2 weeks of the phone interview, (in Q2 of 2014) were as follows: (1) an IQ + Myers-Briggs-type mixture assessment (which took about an hour), and (2) a homework-like 2-hour timed assessment (they email you some rough details about what will be expected of you for this 2nd assessment). The first is self-explanatory for anyone who has ever taken one of those things. It was pretty intensive since it's considerably longer than a usual assessment of that kind. It was tiring, but there's really no preparing for it. The second mimics bits of what actual projects are like Hanover: a few broad (and some narrower) research questions, some data, and some rough directions for a report. For me, two hours was just barely enough to complete the assessment at a level that I was reasonably satisfied with (they look for content and not grammar/spelling since it's timed). I would definitely recommend doing some review or practice of related skills (Excel, making tables in Word, displaying analytical results, etc) since there isn't much time to google things. Of course, the things to review really depends on the type of content analyst that you're interviewing for.

After just under a week, Hanover reached out to me for an in-person interview. A week after that, I went in to speak with 3 manager-level (e.g., Managing Content Directors) personnel. The receptionist was very friendly, and I remember being impressed by the decor. A lot of things were green (teal is the main Hanover color), and I like green. Conversations were about 45 minutes each. All of them were friendly and candid. These interviews were definitely to gauge my personality and how well I'd fit in to one of their teams and to the company, in general. There were no purely technical questions since they left most of that for the 2nd assessment. At the content analyst level, they certainly look for the ability to complete one-person projects in a timely manner (5-day projects), but they also look for the ability to communicate and aspirations for progression through the ranks in the company. Basically, some people are fine with just working on projects, but there is room to rise for those who aspire, by becoming proficient enough to coach and eventually manage others in projects and/or by being charismatic enough to communicate with and attract/retain clients.

After about a week, they extended an offer (at a salary around the number that I had given during the phone interview).

Interview Questions
    • I had submitted a writing sample in my application. For the in-person interview, I was so caught up with seeing who my interviewers were and preparing specifically for the key items listed in the job description that I forgot to carefully look over my writing sample.

I was asked about it and couldn't recall all of it, so I had to divert the conversation to another project that I had done in the past. That explanation was also not superbly done since I hadn't really prepared for it, but it turned out that the level was somewhat beyond what is expected for typical projects at Hanover. I think they let me off the hook for this blunder in the end, but that was definitely the weakest and most difficult part of my interview. It's certainly something that every interviewee can and should prepare for.
        Answer Question
    I was able to get a salary that's somewhat higher than what tends to be given to content analysts, though that could be due to my advanced degree and technical background.