Hanover Research

Updated Aug 25, 2014
Updated Aug 25, 2014

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Hanover Research.

1) Applied to Hanover in early June
2) Completed an hour-long, online GRE-type test (nothing too difficult)
3) Spoke to recruiter on the phone for 30 minutes. She informed me that she would send me a mock project to complete.
4) Spent a week (probably 40 hours) working on a report about international branch campuses. Guidelines were vague but I assumed they were more interested in seeing my writing quality.
5) I was informed that I would hear back about the project in 4-10 days. Ten days passed and no word. I emailed Hanover and they informed me they received positive feedback on my project.
6) Scheduled an in-person interview in Washington, DC. Interviewed with 3 project managers. The interview lasted two hours, and my perception was that the interview went well.
7) Returned home to an email saying the feedback from the interview was positive but that they wanted me to complete ANOTHER project.

---- Here is where I should have said no. At this point, the fact that they used me to complete another project is really insulting.

8) Completed a three-day data analysis project. I was informed I would hear back in 4-10 days. Surprise, surprise, 10 days came and went and no word about the project.
9) A few weeks later, I received an email saying Hanover was busy with employee evaluations, and they hadn't had a chance to review my second project.
10) On August 25th, (remember I applied on June 4th), I received a rejection email with no explanation as to why I was not chosen for the position.

I have never had such a terrible experience with a company before. I am just disgusted that Hanover has the audacity to treat its candidates like this. If this is how this company treats its candidates, how does it treat its clients? I wouldn't want to work for this company nor would I want to do business for this company.

Interview Questions
  • Honestly, I do not recall any of the questions being difficult.   Answer Question

Sep 7, 2014CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry to hear that you had a negative experience during the interview process. I agree that the process made a poor use of your time and I have passed this ... More

Other Interview Reviews for Hanover Research

Research Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Hanover Research.

Phone interview with HR, followed by a personality test, a writing assignment, and an on-site interview with two team leaders. The online test and assignment were ok. Two team leaders I talked to at the on-site, however, appeared extremely burnt out and uninterested. I found it very difficult to carry out an intelligent and in-depth conversation with them.

Interview Questions
    • Standard interview questions concerning academic work and past research experience.   Answer Question

The company offered horrible pay and I could not buy into the research methodology applied there.

Jun 16, 2014CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad you seemed to enjoy some parts of the process but I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed by the salary on offer and felt that the interviewers were less ... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Hanover Research in April 2014.

I was very impressed by Hanover's hiring and interview process. Hanover is a wonderful company with employees who truly care about research and hiring the right people for the role. However, keep in mind that it is VERY time-consuming (resume/cover letter, personality/IQ test, phone interview, mock research report, final in-person interview) - so only go through with it if you are very interested in Hanover!

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult or unexpected during the interview process   Answer Question
    I wasn't able to negotiate a higher starting salary, but they were able to add on a signing bonus.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

I applied online – interviewed at Hanover Research in March 2014.

The company uses a personality test on applicants that is confidential. Company gets shifty if you ask about what the test indicated. Seems questionable ethically, in terms of compliance with equal opportunity law.

Interview Questions
    • Geometry questions in addition to personality question..   View Answer

Aug 13, 2014CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. Hanover makes use of a combination of candidates' submitted materials (cover letter, writing sample and resume) along with an online assessment and a written assignment ... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hanover Research.

Very nice interview process. All behavioral. Nothing too tricky.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hanover Research in February 2014.

Completed online assessment and was contacted for phone interview. Phone interview very casual and basic, as others have noted.

Interview Questions
    • When asked what my salary expectations were, I said 40 would be fair, considering my master's degree. Maybe that's why I didn't get an offer? Or I just wasn't impressive enough. Anyway, I thought the interview went well and was expecting to move to the next stage, but I didn't.   Answer Question

Jul 14, 2014CHRO

Thank you so much for your feedback on your experience interviewing at Hanover Research. I can assure you that hiring decisions are not made based on salary requirements. If this had been an issue ... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ballston, VA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Hanover Research in January 2014.

I submitted an application to Hanover in early November 2013. I heard back from their HR representative in late November. I was then asked to complete an online personality/IQ test that assessed spatial, abstract, and analytical reasoning skills and competencies. None of this was too difficult -- just set aside time to complete it. I was then invited to participate in a phone interview in early December. Very standard questions: "walk me through your resume," "how do you approach a research question?" etc. I then had one week to complete a simple written assignment. A week later, I was told my paper received very positive feedback and was invited to an in person interview.

My in person interview was in mid-January 2014. Read: just about two and half months after I submitted my initial application materials. I was told that they were backed up through the new year. I literally waited four weeks from when I corresponded with HR regarding the paper feedback, to the actual in person interview. Anticipating a faster process, I forewent another employment opportunity while in the interview queue.

The actual in person interview was bifurcated: I met with two project directors, one of whom, I assumed, would have been my immediate project supervisor. The first interview went very well! Positive, engaging, and prospective: he seemed liked a really great guy and we engaged in a very spirited discussion about my research interests. The second interview was the absolute opposite. Just immensely slow, awkward, and boring. There were two main qualitative differences: 1). The first interviewer was quite affable, which felt disarming and positive. I think that's natural in any interview context: to meet people with varied personalities. No big deal. 2). The structure and style of their approach was confusing. I really liked the first interviewer because he asked open ended questions. I was allowed to elaborate and had a lot of latitude. The second interviewer asked me almost entirely close ended questions: "So you graduated with a degree in political science?" "Yep..."

I would offer two suggestions to further improve recruiting processes. First, candidates should be provided with a realistic timeline for an employment offer. I would have benefited from this knowledge early on -- or maybe even an adumbrated version of it at the phone interview stage. Second, interviewers should be given some standardized set of questions or criteria to evaluate candidate competencies and interests. I really could not figure out what they were looking for, particularly in the second conversation. I also did not appreciate the varying unstructured and unexpected interview styles, although that may just be me. Some consistency would have been appreciated, that is all.

Overall, I felt that the process ran very smoothly. All of my correspondence with HR was conducted in a way that was very professional and profoundly respectful.

Interview Questions
    • "So you graduated with a degree in political science?"   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ballston, VA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hanover Research in November 2013.

After submitting an application, there is an extensive online evaluation (takes around 2 hours) to complete- following that, you'll be contacted by a recruiter for a phone interview. Then there is a mock report assignment, for which you'll be given a week to complete. Within a week to two weeks time, you'll get to the face-to-face interview stage. Altogether takes around a month, month and a half time.

Interview Questions
    • Some unexpected questions on the online evaluation- requiring imagination. Such as, describing a day in the life in outerspace.   Answer Question

Jul 14, 2014CHRO

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback on the interview experience at Hanover Research. While we are sorry that you decided not to accept our offer, we are very happy to hear that your ... More

Research Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Hanover Research.

First stage: test of writing speed, thought process, word association, working style
    Second stage: HR phone interview - they asked about the answers from that assessment and reviewed job details, including salary range and benefits
    Third stage: "homework assignment" where you complete a mock project. You are given a week to do the type of project that you would complete if you joined the company. They are looking for your writing style and research process.
    Fourth stage: in-person interview - they ask about your experience, skills, etc, as well as your interest in what the company does. They want to know if you can work with short deadlines and on independent project work. Two 30 minute one-on-one interviews, back-to-back, with people who might become your boss.
    You hear a week or two after.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing particularly difficult or unexpected. Very serious about determining why I was interested in the position and if I wanted to do that work.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate salary. I was given a week or so to accept or not. I negotiated the start date to work around personal needs.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Hanover Research.

Hanover has an elaborate application process that weeds out anyone who doesn't really want to work there. The process begins with an online application, then personality and IQ tests, a practice essay, then a phone interview, then in-person interviews (3 interviews over around 2 hours), and finally a job offer. Frankly, if you aren't serious about working for Hanover, the process is tedious and time consuming.

Step 1: Submit an online application. Inside references help, but will not get you a job on their own.

Step 2: Personality and IQ tests. These don't matter that much, you just need to complete them.

Step 3: Initial phone interview. Just be truthful and talk about your past research experiences. Hanover is a methodologically driven company. We want to know about the thought process you used to create an original, sound methodology for previous work.

Step 4: Sample report/essay. You will receive an essay prompt. Write a concise report to the best of your abilities using the best sources you can find. No specific format is required but organization matters. Information should be presented logically and effectively. If you receive an essay prompt, you have to write an essay to continue in the interview process.

Step 5: In-person interviews. If Hanover likes your essay, they will invite you into the office for in-person interviews. Typically you interview with two content directors (research managers) and someone from HR. The content directors determine if you are a methodologically driven researcher who writes well and fits Hanover's culture. Be truthful. If you are not a fit for this company, you will not be happy here.

Step 6: Job offer. Hanover does not hire impulsively. If you don't get an immediate job offer, be sure to keep in touch with your contacts and periodically remind them you are still want to work for Hanover.

Interview Questions
    • How would you approach this research question?   View Answer
    Entry-level research salaries are rarely negotiated. I was so happy to get a job offer I didn't negotiate. I wish I had tried.