Hanover Research Research Associate Interview Questions

Updated Apr 5, 2015

3.1

Research Associate Interview

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Hanover Research.

Interview

Let me start off by saying I really, really wanted this job- to the point that I would have turned down a better-paying offer. The company's focus really caught my eye, and their website seriously impressed me. I have to say, their HR was very unorganized and unprofessional. I had my recruiter first miss a phone interview with me because they were late in a meeting. This was understandable, things happen. Second time we scheduled- they never called me. Very unprofessional. Then I went through the rest of the process- the test, the industry report, the final interviews. I was told the company was impressed with my report and would get back to me. Two weeks, my recruiter is out of the country, I don't hear back. I email another HR staff member, indicating that I have had a (better) offer from another company, but that I was very interested in Hanover and would prefer a position there. They get back to me saying they don't know how many people they are hiring. Why drag me through an extensive interview process for weeks on end if you don't know if you're hiring? They missed out on a dedicated and passionate worker.

Interview Questions

Hanover Research Response

Apr 11, 2015CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I can understand your disappointment at not receiving an offer. There is always a lot of competition for entry level positions and we are only able to hire a very small ... More

Other Interview Reviews for Hanover Research

Research Associate Interview

Interview

My recruiter took forever to email me back. I got through the second round. Was asked to produce an industry report. It has been almost a month and I never heard back. I put a lot of effort into the project and it was very unprofessional for the company to not even decline me.

Interview Questions

Hanover Research Response

Apr 8, 2015CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you did not hear back from your recruiter. This is not standard practice as we respond to all applications. I suggest following up with your ... More

Research Associate Interview

Interview

It was definitely an awful experience. The recruiter did not show up at the scheduled interview time. I sent an email about rescheduling the interview, and never heard back. This company HR department is extremely unprofessional.

Interview Questions

Hanover Research Response

Feb 23, 2015CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry to hear that your experience was not positive and that your time was not respected. This is not the way we wish to treat any of our candidates. I have ... More

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Hanover Research (Washington, DC).

Interview

1) Applied to Hanover in early June
    2) Completed an hour-long, online GRE-type test (nothing too difficult)
    3) Spoke to recruiter on the phone for 30 minutes. She informed me that she would send me a mock project to complete.
    4) Spent a week (probably 40 hours) working on a report about international branch campuses. Guidelines were vague but I assumed they were more interested in seeing my writing quality.
    5) I was informed that I would hear back about the project in 4-10 days. Ten days passed and no word. I emailed Hanover and they informed me they received positive feedback on my project.
    6) Scheduled an in-person interview in Washington, DC. Interviewed with 3 project managers. The interview lasted two hours, and my perception was that the interview went well.
    7) Returned home to an email saying the feedback from the interview was positive but that they wanted me to complete ANOTHER project.

---- Here is where I should have said no. At this point, the fact that they used me to complete another project is really insulting.

8) Completed a three-day data analysis project. I was informed I would hear back in 4-10 days. Surprise, surprise, 10 days came and went and no word about the project.
    9) A few weeks later, I received an email saying Hanover was busy with employee evaluations, and they hadn't had a chance to review my second project.
    10) On August 25th, (remember I applied on June 4th), I received a rejection email with no explanation as to why I was not chosen for the position.

I have never had such a terrible experience with a company before. I am just disgusted that Hanover has the audacity to treat its candidates like this. If this is how this company treats its candidates, how does it treat its clients? I wouldn't want to work for this company nor would I want to do business for this company.

Interview Questions

• Honestly, I do not recall any of the questions being difficult.   Answer Question

Sep 7, 2014CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry to hear that you had a negative experience during the interview process. I agree that the process made a poor use of your time and I have passed this ... More

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Hanover Research.

Interview

Phone interview with HR, followed by a personality test, a writing assignment, and an on-site interview with two team leaders. The online test and assignment were ok. Two team leaders I talked to at the on-site, however, appeared extremely burnt out and uninterested. I found it very difficult to carry out an intelligent and in-depth conversation with them.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions concerning academic work and past research experience.   Answer Question

The company offered horrible pay and I could not buy into the research methodology applied there.

Jun 16, 2014CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad you seemed to enjoy some parts of the process but I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed by the salary on offer and felt that the interviewers were less ... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Hanover Research (Arlington, VA) in April 2014.

Interview

I was very impressed by Hanover's hiring and interview process. Hanover is a wonderful company with employees who truly care about research and hiring the right people for the role. However, keep in mind that it is VERY time-consuming (resume/cover letter, personality/IQ test, phone interview, mock research report, final in-person interview) - so only go through with it if you are very interested in Hanover!

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult or unexpected during the interview process   Answer Question

Negotiation

I wasn't able to negotiate a higher starting salary, but they were able to add on a signing bonus.

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Hanover Research (Charlottesville, VA) in March 2014.

Interview

The company uses a personality test on applicants that is confidential. Company gets shifty if you ask about what the test indicated. Seems questionable ethically, in terms of compliance with equal opportunity law.

Interview Questions

• Geometry questions in addition to personality question..   1 Answer

Aug 13, 2014CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. Hanover makes use of a combination of candidates' submitted materials (cover letter, writing sample and resume) along with an online assessment and a written assignment ... More

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hanover Research (Washington, DC).

Interview

Very nice interview process. All behavioral. Nothing too tricky.

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hanover Research (Charlottesville, VA) in February 2014.

Interview

Completed online assessment and was contacted for phone interview. Phone interview very casual and basic, as others have noted.

Interview Questions

• When asked what my salary expectations were, I said 40 would be fair, considering my master's degree. Maybe that's why I didn't get an offer? Or I just wasn't impressive enough. Anyway, I thought the interview went well and was expecting to move to the next stage, but I didn't.   Answer Question

Jul 14, 2014CHRO

Thank you so much for your feedback on your experience interviewing at Hanover Research. I can assure you that hiring decisions are not made based on salary requirements. If this had been an issue ... More

Anonymous Employee in Ballston, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Hanover Research (Ballston, VA) in January 2014.

Interview

I submitted an application to Hanover in early November 2013. I heard back from their HR representative in late November. I was then asked to complete an online personality/IQ test that assessed spatial, abstract, and analytical reasoning skills and competencies. None of this was too difficult -- just set aside time to complete it. I was then invited to participate in a phone interview in early December. Very standard questions: "walk me through your resume," "how do you approach a research question?" etc. I then had one week to complete a simple written assignment. A week later, I was told my paper received very positive feedback and was invited to an in person interview.

My in person interview was in mid-January 2014. Read: just about two and half months after I submitted my initial application materials. I was told that they were backed up through the new year. I literally waited four weeks from when I corresponded with HR regarding the paper feedback, to the actual in person interview. Anticipating a faster process, I forewent another employment opportunity while in the interview queue.

The actual in person interview was bifurcated: I met with two project directors, one of whom, I assumed, would have been my immediate project supervisor. The first interview went very well! Positive, engaging, and prospective: he seemed liked a really great guy and we engaged in a very spirited discussion about my research interests. The second interview was the absolute opposite. Just immensely slow, awkward, and boring. There were two main qualitative differences: 1). The first interviewer was quite affable, which felt disarming and positive. I think that's natural in any interview context: to meet people with varied personalities. No big deal. 2). The structure and style of their approach was confusing. I really liked the first interviewer because he asked open ended questions. I was allowed to elaborate and had a lot of latitude. The second interviewer asked me almost entirely close ended questions: "So you graduated with a degree in political science?" "Yep..."

I would offer two suggestions to further improve recruiting processes. First, candidates should be provided with a realistic timeline for an employment offer. I would have benefited from this knowledge early on -- or maybe even an adumbrated version of it at the phone interview stage. Second, interviewers should be given some standardized set of questions or criteria to evaluate candidate competencies and interests. I really could not figure out what they were looking for, particularly in the second conversation. I also did not appreciate the varying unstructured and unexpected interview styles, although that may just be me. Some consistency would have been appreciated, that is all.

Overall, I felt that the process ran very smoothly. All of my correspondence with HR was conducted in a way that was very professional and profoundly respectful.

Interview Questions

• "So you graduated with a degree in political science?"   2 Answers