Hanover Research

Average Difficulty
13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Research Associate

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Hanover Research.

Interview Details – Phone interview with HR, followed by a personality test, a writing assignment, and an on-site interview with two team leaders. The online test and assignment were ok. Two team leaders I talked to at the on-site, however, appeared extremely burnt out and uninterested. I found it very difficult to carry out an intelligent and in-depth conversation with them.

Interview Question – Standard interview questions concerning academic work and past research experience.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The company offered horrible pay and I could not buy into the research methodology applied there.

Flag Interview

Hanover Research CHRO responded to this review

Jun 16, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad you seemed to enjoy some parts of the process but I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed by the salary on offer and felt that the interviewers were less ... More

Charlottesville, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hanover Research in February 2014.

Interview Details – Completed online assessment and was contacted for phone interview. Phone interview very casual and basic, as others have noted.

Interview Question – When asked what my salary expectations were, I said 40 would be fair, considering my master's degree. Maybe that's why I didn't get an offer? Or I just wasn't impressive enough. Anyway, I thought the interview went well and was expecting to move to the next stage, but I didn't.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hanover Research.

Interview Details – Very nice interview process. All behavioral. Nothing too tricky.

Interview Question – How many pingpong balls would fit in the office.   Answer Question

Ballston, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Hanover Research in January 2014.

Interview Details – I submitted an application to Hanover in early November 2013. I heard back from their HR representative in late November. I was then asked to complete an online personality/IQ test that assessed spatial, abstract, and analytical reasoning skills and competencies. None of this was too difficult -- just set aside time to complete it. I was then invited to participate in a phone interview in early December. Very standard questions: "walk me through your resume," "how do you approach a research question?" etc. I then had one week to complete a simple written assignment. A week later, I was told my paper received very positive feedback and was invited to an in person interview.

My in person interview was in mid-January 2014. Read: just about two and half months after I submitted my initial application materials. I was told that they were backed up through the new year. I literally waited four weeks from when I corresponded with HR regarding the paper feedback, to the actual in person interview. Anticipating a faster process, I forewent another employment opportunity while in the interview queue.

The actual in person interview was bifurcated: I met with two project directors, one of whom, I assumed, would have been my immediate project supervisor. The first interview went very well! Positive, engaging, and prospective: he seemed liked a really great guy and we engaged in a very spirited discussion about my research interests. The second interview was the absolute opposite. Just immensely slow, awkward, and boring. There were two main qualitative differences: 1). The first interviewer was quite affable, which felt disarming and positive. I think that's natural in any interview context: to meet people with varied personalities. No big deal. 2). The structure and style of their approach was confusing. I really liked the first interviewer because he asked open ended questions. I was allowed to elaborate and had a lot of latitude. The second interviewer asked me almost entirely close ended questions: "So you graduated with a degree in political science?" "Yep..."

I would offer two suggestions to further improve recruiting processes. First, candidates should be provided with a realistic timeline for an employment offer. I would have benefited from this knowledge early on -- or maybe even an adumbrated version of it at the phone interview stage. Second, interviewers should be given some standardized set of questions or criteria to evaluate candidate competencies and interests. I really could not figure out what they were looking for, particularly in the second conversation. I also did not appreciate the varying unstructured and unexpected interview styles, although that may just be me. Some consistency would have been appreciated, that is all.

Overall, I felt that the process ran very smoothly. All of my correspondence with HR was conducted in a way that was very professional and profoundly respectful.

Interview Question – "So you graduated with a degree in political science?"   View Answer

Ballston, VA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hanover Research in November 2013.

Interview Details – After submitting an application, there is an extensive online evaluation (takes around 2 hours) to complete- following that, you'll be contacted by a recruiter for a phone interview. Then there is a mock report assignment, for which you'll be given a week to complete. Within a week to two weeks time, you'll get to the face-to-face interview stage. Altogether takes around a month, month and a half time.

Interview Question – Some unexpected questions on the online evaluation- requiring imagination. Such as, describing a day in the life in outerspace.   Answer Question

Research Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Hanover Research.

Interview Details – First stage: test of writing speed, thought process, word association, working style
Second stage: HR phone interview - they asked about the answers from that assessment and reviewed job details, including salary range and benefits
Third stage: "homework assignment" where you complete a mock project. You are given a week to do the type of project that you would complete if you joined the company. They are looking for your writing style and research process.
Fourth stage: in-person interview - they ask about your experience, skills, etc, as well as your interest in what the company does. They want to know if you can work with short deadlines and on independent project work. Two 30 minute one-on-one interviews, back-to-back, with people who might become your boss.
You hear a week or two after.

Interview Question – Nothing particularly difficult or unexpected. Very serious about determining why I was interested in the position and if I wanted to do that work.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate salary. I was given a week or so to accept or not. I negotiated the start date to work around personal needs.

Research Associate

I applied online - interviewed at Hanover Research in July 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online for a position. Received an email stating that they would like to interview me but I would have to complete an assessment that has no pass or fail. This is clearly not the case because my application was dismissed after I did the assessment and so there is a pass and fail criteria. I do the test and it is the most ridiculous standardized test I have ever seen. A lot of sections are timed and so good luck if you are not someone who can make up an answer regarding some imagined science fiction scenario. To top it all, it takes over an hour to complete this. In my opinion, they are overlooking excellent candidates due to their use of standardized tests. I am glad I wasn't a good fit for this company since I don't believe in those tests anyways and it seems like this wouldn't be a pleasant place to work at if that is the manner through which they screen candidates.

Interview Question – Assessment test was not approptiafe   Answer Question

Flag Interview

Hanover Research CHRO responded to this review

Oct 3, 2013

Thank you for taking time to provide some feedback regarding your application experience with Hanover Research. While I am sorry that you do not see the value in using an online assessment test to ... More

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Hanover Research.

Interview Details – Hanover has an elaborate application process that weeds out anyone who doesn't really want to work there. The process begins with an online application, then personality and IQ tests, a practice essay, then a phone interview, then in-person interviews (3 interviews over around 2 hours), and finally a job offer. Frankly, if you aren't serious about working for Hanover, the process is tedious and time consuming.

Step 1: Submit an online application. Inside references help, but will not get you a job on their own.

Step 2: Personality and IQ tests. These don't matter that much, you just need to complete them.

Step 3: Initial phone interview. Just be truthful and talk about your past research experiences. Hanover is a methodologically driven company. We want to know about the thought process you used to create an original, sound methodology for previous work.

Step 4: Sample report/essay. You will receive an essay prompt. Write a concise report to the best of your abilities using the best sources you can find. No specific format is required but organization matters. Information should be presented logically and effectively. If you receive an essay prompt, you have to write an essay to continue in the interview process.

Step 5: In-person interviews. If Hanover likes your essay, they will invite you into the office for in-person interviews. Typically you interview with two content directors (research managers) and someone from HR. The content directors determine if you are a methodologically driven researcher who writes well and fits Hanover's culture. Be truthful. If you are not a fit for this company, you will not be happy here.

Step 6: Job offer. Hanover does not hire impulsively. If you don't get an immediate job offer, be sure to keep in touch with your contacts and periodically remind them you are still want to work for Hanover.

Interview Question – How would you approach this research question?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Entry-level research salaries are rarely negotiated. I was so happy to get a job offer I didn't negotiate. I wish I had tried.

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Hanover Research in May 2013.

Interview Details – I initially submitted an application and was contacted about a month later to let me know that they were interested in moving on to the next step with me, which was an online test. The online test/questionnaire asked me about my previous work history, including questions such as what did I like most and least about my previous job. There was also a sort of IQ test, which required the manipulation of 3D Tetris-like objects in your head. There were a couple open-ended questions, one of which asked me to answer how the world would be different if people could fly. I only had two minutes to answer each question and was not allowed to delete or backspace anything. Finally, there was a questionnaire section that asked about a variety of work experiences and moral questions, like if I had ever stolen anything from an employer or if I would report a fellow employee or manager if I saw them taking money from the company.

I was moved on to the next section in the process, which was a homework assignment. I had a week to complete the assignment. The assignment required me to answer the questions of an imaginary client with regards to a certain area of higher education, e.g. trends, challenges, etc. To be honest I enjoyed doing the assignment but I do feel that asking job applicants to complete anything that takes more than an hour or two is a bit unreasonable. I spent probably about 15-20 hours on the assignment. I was told I would hear back within 10 days of submitting the assignment, and contacted them when I had not heard back in 14 days. An HR person responded promptly and told me that they would like to bring me in for an interview.

I interviewed with two people separately, 30 minutes each. Both were fairly standard, asking about my previous experience in general and research experience in particular. They both expressed their enjoyment with working at Hanover and that promotions were merit-based, not based on seniority. Overall I had a really pleasant experience interviewing with them.

Despite only positive feedback, I did not receive an offer, though the position appears to remain unfilled. Perhaps they are not actually hiring for this position but are interviewing just to see what's out there.

Interview Question – Not really very difficult- what has been your greatest achievement?   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hanover Research in April 2012.

Interview Details – The interview began with an initial 30 minute interview with HR. It was very routine and pleasant.

The next step in the process is to complete a sample research report. The report was deliberately general to see how you approach a research question and it was on a topic that it is unlikely many have researched before (higher education hubs in the Middle East).

I did not move on to the next step in this process which was bit frustrating because the sample research took quite a bit of time (10-12 hours).

Interview Question – The initial all is very straightforward. For this position, they want to know right off the bat the research you have conducted in school or previous work experience (which makes sense).   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Hanover Research

Worked for Hanover Research? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hanover Research Research Associate interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by Hanover Research employees and interview candidates.