Hanover Research

2.8

Content Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I applied online – interviewed at Hanover Research in October 2014.

1.) Online Application - Pretty standard for a research organization

2.) Intelligence/Personality Test - This was pretty straight-forward. I will say, though, that I have a background in psychology. Because of this, I knew exactly what they were measuring and so I easily could have manipulated portions of the test. I didn't, but I could have.

3.) Phone Interview - Pretty standard, once again. The interviewer was very good at her job and was very personable. She quickly discovered that Content Analyst was not the best position for me, so she transitioned the interview toward a position that would make better use of my skills.

4.) Homework Assignment - I was asked to conduct a statistical analysis and write up the results. The recruiter e-mailed me a few Excel files and told me to have a written report of the findings within five days.

I withdrew my candidacy at this point. Although I understand that a research company needs to ensure the quality of their job candidates, I had four other interviews within a week of receiving the homework assignment and I needed time to prepare for those. I would recommend that the hiring team streamline the process a little more to prevent losing out on the most competitive job candidates.

Nov 8, 2014CHRO

Thank you so much for your feedback. I can certainly understand your decision to withdraw from the process with so many other interviews to prepare for. I do understand that our interview process is ... More

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Hanover Research.

1) Applied to Hanover in early June
    2) Completed an hour-long, online GRE-type test (nothing too difficult)
    3) Spoke to recruiter on the phone for 30 minutes. She informed me that she would send me a mock project to complete.
    4) Spent a week (probably 40 hours) working on a report about international branch campuses. Guidelines were vague but I assumed they were more interested in seeing my writing quality.
    5) I was informed that I would hear back about the project in 4-10 days. Ten days passed and no word. I emailed Hanover and they informed me they received positive feedback on my project.
    6) Scheduled an in-person interview in Washington, DC. Interviewed with 3 project managers. The interview lasted two hours, and my perception was that the interview went well.
    7) Returned home to an email saying the feedback from the interview was positive but that they wanted me to complete ANOTHER project.

---- Here is where I should have said no. At this point, the fact that they used me to complete another project is really insulting.

8) Completed a three-day data analysis project. I was informed I would hear back in 4-10 days. Surprise, surprise, 10 days came and went and no word about the project.
    9) A few weeks later, I received an email saying Hanover was busy with employee evaluations, and they hadn't had a chance to review my second project.
    10) On August 25th, (remember I applied on June 4th), I received a rejection email with no explanation as to why I was not chosen for the position.

I have never had such a terrible experience with a company before. I am just disgusted that Hanover has the audacity to treat its candidates like this. If this is how this company treats its candidates, how does it treat its clients? I wouldn't want to work for this company nor would I want to do business for this company.

Interview Questions
    • Honestly, I do not recall any of the questions being difficult.   Answer Question

Sep 7, 2014CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry to hear that you had a negative experience during the interview process. I agree that the process made a poor use of your time and I have passed this ... More

Business Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied online – interviewed at Hanover Research in July 2014.

I submitted my online application and was asked to phone interview 2 days later. After the phone interview, she emailed me a personality test right away and said she would get back to me within a week.

Senior Content Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Hanover Research in May 2014.

About a month after I submitted my application online, I got an email from an HR personnel at Hanover to do a phone interview. The atmosphere was casual (as in she sounded easy-going), but there were definitely very focused questions regarding knowledge of and ability to perform key parts of the job. I even went into some detail about how some of my relevant experiences (both at work and in grad school), and she seemed to have enough of a background to understand a lot of it, and there was some good back-and-forth during the conversation. Toward the end of the chat, it seemed like I had done a successful job of demonstrating my fit to the position, and she talked about the next steps in some detail.

These next steps, occuring within 2 weeks of the phone interview, (in Q2 of 2014) were as follows: (1) an IQ + Myers-Briggs-type mixture assessment (which took about an hour), and (2) a homework-like 2-hour timed assessment (they email you some rough details about what will be expected of you for this 2nd assessment). The first is self-explanatory for anyone who has ever taken one of those things. It was pretty intensive since it's considerably longer than a usual assessment of that kind. It was tiring, but there's really no preparing for it. The second mimics bits of what actual projects are like Hanover: a few broad (and some narrower) research questions, some data, and some rough directions for a report. For me, two hours was just barely enough to complete the assessment at a level that I was reasonably satisfied with (they look for content and not grammar/spelling since it's timed). I would definitely recommend doing some review or practice of related skills (Excel, making tables in Word, displaying analytical results, etc) since there isn't much time to google things. Of course, the things to review really depends on the type of content analyst that you're interviewing for.

After just under a week, Hanover reached out to me for an in-person interview. A week after that, I went in to speak with 3 manager-level (e.g., Managing Content Directors) personnel. The receptionist was very friendly, and I remember being impressed by the decor. A lot of things were green (teal is the main Hanover color), and I like green. Conversations were about 45 minutes each. All of them were friendly and candid. These interviews were definitely to gauge my personality and how well I'd fit in to one of their teams and to the company, in general. There were no purely technical questions since they left most of that for the 2nd assessment. At the content analyst level, they certainly look for the ability to complete one-person projects in a timely manner (5-day projects), but they also look for the ability to communicate and aspirations for progression through the ranks in the company. Basically, some people are fine with just working on projects, but there is room to rise for those who aspire, by becoming proficient enough to coach and eventually manage others in projects and/or by being charismatic enough to communicate with and attract/retain clients.

After about a week, they extended an offer (at a salary around the number that I had given during the phone interview).

Interview Questions
    • I had submitted a writing sample in my application. For the in-person interview, I was so caught up with seeing who my interviewers were and preparing specifically for the key items listed in the job description that I forgot to carefully look over my writing sample.

I was asked about it and couldn't recall all of it, so I had to divert the conversation to another project that I had done in the past. That explanation was also not superbly done since I hadn't really prepared for it, but it turned out that the level was somewhat beyond what is expected for typical projects at Hanover. I think they let me off the hook for this blunder in the end, but that was definitely the weakest and most difficult part of my interview. It's certainly something that every interviewee can and should prepare for.

Answer Question
    I was able to get a salary that's somewhat higher than what tends to be given to content analysts, though that could be due to my advanced degree and technical background.

Nov 8, 2014CHRO

Thank you for your review of the interview process at Hanover Research and welcome to the team! Your feedback and advice to candidates interviewing in person to re-read their homework assignment is ... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Hanover Research in April 2014.

I was very impressed by Hanover's hiring and interview process. Hanover is a wonderful company with employees who truly care about research and hiring the right people for the role. However, keep in mind that it is VERY time-consuming (resume/cover letter, personality/IQ test, phone interview, mock research report, final in-person interview) - so only go through with it if you are very interested in Hanover!

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult or unexpected during the interview process   Answer Question
    I wasn't able to negotiate a higher starting salary, but they were able to add on a signing bonus.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hanover Research.

Very nice interview process. All behavioral. Nothing too tricky.

New Product Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Hanover Research.

Recruiting team was very professional however the hiring managers were totally inexperienced and borderline snobbish and uncourteous. What was a no go for me was that after the in person interview they requested a 3rd phone interview (with the same people who did the inperson) asking me the SAME questions I had already answered while I was on site. Felt like a brain suck as helpful information I shared via email was not ever acknowledged either. Hiring managers admitted they didn't know what they were after, nor defined a realistic hiring timeframe.

Interview Questions
    • Curveball during iq test: what if u were stuck in space, what would you do and how would spend your time?   Answer Question

Jan 2, 2014CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you did not have as positive an experience with the hiring team as you did with your HR contact. This was our first time hiring for the Product ... More

Market Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hanover Research in October 2013.

First interview is a phone interview with Human Resources. Got a call that lasted around 30 mins and asked to go into details of my background and walk them through resume. I also was asked about visa status and if i would require visa sponsorship in the future, and the range of salaries that i was looking for. Second step was an online personality assessment, and third step was a research project.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Hanover Research.

Hanover has an elaborate application process that weeds out anyone who doesn't really want to work there. The process begins with an online application, then personality and IQ tests, a practice essay, then a phone interview, then in-person interviews (3 interviews over around 2 hours), and finally a job offer. Frankly, if you aren't serious about working for Hanover, the process is tedious and time consuming.

Step 1: Submit an online application. Inside references help, but will not get you a job on their own.

Step 2: Personality and IQ tests. These don't matter that much, you just need to complete them.

Step 3: Initial phone interview. Just be truthful and talk about your past research experiences. Hanover is a methodologically driven company. We want to know about the thought process you used to create an original, sound methodology for previous work.

Step 4: Sample report/essay. You will receive an essay prompt. Write a concise report to the best of your abilities using the best sources you can find. No specific format is required but organization matters. Information should be presented logically and effectively. If you receive an essay prompt, you have to write an essay to continue in the interview process.

Step 5: In-person interviews. If Hanover likes your essay, they will invite you into the office for in-person interviews. Typically you interview with two content directors (research managers) and someone from HR. The content directors determine if you are a methodologically driven researcher who writes well and fits Hanover's culture. Be truthful. If you are not a fit for this company, you will not be happy here.

Step 6: Job offer. Hanover does not hire impulsively. If you don't get an immediate job offer, be sure to keep in touch with your contacts and periodically remind them you are still want to work for Hanover.

Interview Questions
    • How would you approach this research question?   View Answer
    Entry-level research salaries are rarely negotiated. I was so happy to get a job offer I didn't negotiate. I wish I had tried.

Content Director - Education Practices Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hanover Research in July 2013.

They asked me to complete a 30-minute online personality test. I did not really see how it was relevant to the job. Then they asked me to complete a "homework assignment" before giving me a face-to-face interview. The assignment was very time-consuming, but did not consist of any real research skills other than using google. It surprised me that they did not ask for a writing sample of my actual research, though I have a PhD and publications.

Interview Questions
    • I got a face-to-face interview but I did not get an offer. Possibly because my salary requirements were too high for them - though I only asked what would be DC-area competitive for someone with my credentials (PhD and 3 years analyst experience). Neither of the Content Directors with whom I interviewed had a PhD, though they would have been my supervisors or peers. One of them had been in her position for less than 6 months because the previous content director had left the company. Sounds like turnover is really high at this place.   Answer Question

Jul 14, 2014CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience interviewing at Hanover Research. Many of our research team members have PhDs and JDs, but as the Content ... More