Hanover Research Interview Questions in Washington, DC

Updated Aug 25, 2014

2.8

17 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Hanover Research.

1) Applied to Hanover in early June
    2) Completed an hour-long, online GRE-type test (nothing too difficult)
    3) Spoke to recruiter on the phone for 30 minutes. She informed me that she would send me a mock project to complete.
    4) Spent a week (probably 40 hours) working on a report about international branch campuses. Guidelines were vague but I assumed they were more interested in seeing my writing quality.
    5) I was informed that I would hear back about the project in 4-10 days. Ten days passed and no word. I emailed Hanover and they informed me they received positive feedback on my project.
    6) Scheduled an in-person interview in Washington, DC. Interviewed with 3 project managers. The interview lasted two hours, and my perception was that the interview went well.
    7) Returned home to an email saying the feedback from the interview was positive but that they wanted me to complete ANOTHER project.

---- Here is where I should have said no. At this point, the fact that they used me to complete another project is really insulting.

8) Completed a three-day data analysis project. I was informed I would hear back in 4-10 days. Surprise, surprise, 10 days came and went and no word about the project.
    9) A few weeks later, I received an email saying Hanover was busy with employee evaluations, and they hadn't had a chance to review my second project.
    10) On August 25th, (remember I applied on June 4th), I received a rejection email with no explanation as to why I was not chosen for the position.

I have never had such a terrible experience with a company before. I am just disgusted that Hanover has the audacity to treat its candidates like this. If this is how this company treats its candidates, how does it treat its clients? I wouldn't want to work for this company nor would I want to do business for this company.

Interview Questions
    • Honestly, I do not recall any of the questions being difficult.   Answer Question

Sep 7, 2014CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry to hear that you had a negative experience during the interview process. I agree that the process made a poor use of your time and I have passed this ... More

Business Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online - interviewed at Hanover Research in July 2014.

I submitted my online application and was asked to phone interview 2 days later. After the phone interview, she emailed me a personality test right away and said she would get back to me within a week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hanover Research.

Very nice interview process. All behavioral. Nothing too tricky.

New Product Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Hanover Research.

Recruiting team was very professional however the hiring managers were totally inexperienced and borderline snobbish and uncourteous. What was a no go for me was that after the in person interview they requested a 3rd phone interview (with the same people who did the inperson) asking me the SAME questions I had already answered while I was on site. Felt like a brain suck as helpful information I shared via email was not ever acknowledged either. Hiring managers admitted they didn't know what they were after, nor defined a realistic hiring timeframe.

Interview Questions
    • Curveball during iq test: what if u were stuck in space, what would you do and how would spend your time?   Answer Question

Jan 2, 2014CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you did not have as positive an experience with the hiring team as you did with your HR contact. This was our first time hiring for the Product ... More

Market Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hanover Research in October 2013.

First interview is a phone interview with Human Resources. Got a call that lasted around 30 mins and asked to go into details of my background and walk them through resume. I also was asked about visa status and if i would require visa sponsorship in the future, and the range of salaries that i was looking for. Second step was an online personality assessment, and third step was a research project.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Hanover Research.

Hanover has an elaborate application process that weeds out anyone who doesn't really want to work there. The process begins with an online application, then personality and IQ tests, a practice essay, then a phone interview, then in-person interviews (3 interviews over around 2 hours), and finally a job offer. Frankly, if you aren't serious about working for Hanover, the process is tedious and time consuming.

Step 1: Submit an online application. Inside references help, but will not get you a job on their own.

Step 2: Personality and IQ tests. These don't matter that much, you just need to complete them.

Step 3: Initial phone interview. Just be truthful and talk about your past research experiences. Hanover is a methodologically driven company. We want to know about the thought process you used to create an original, sound methodology for previous work.

Step 4: Sample report/essay. You will receive an essay prompt. Write a concise report to the best of your abilities using the best sources you can find. No specific format is required but organization matters. Information should be presented logically and effectively. If you receive an essay prompt, you have to write an essay to continue in the interview process.

Step 5: In-person interviews. If Hanover likes your essay, they will invite you into the office for in-person interviews. Typically you interview with two content directors (research managers) and someone from HR. The content directors determine if you are a methodologically driven researcher who writes well and fits Hanover's culture. Be truthful. If you are not a fit for this company, you will not be happy here.

Step 6: Job offer. Hanover does not hire impulsively. If you don't get an immediate job offer, be sure to keep in touch with your contacts and periodically remind them you are still want to work for Hanover.

Interview Questions
    • How would you approach this research question?   View Answer
    Entry-level research salaries are rarely negotiated. I was so happy to get a job offer I didn't negotiate. I wish I had tried.

Content Director - Education Practices Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hanover Research in July 2013.

They asked me to complete a 30-minute online personality test. I did not really see how it was relevant to the job. Then they asked me to complete a "homework assignment" before giving me a face-to-face interview. The assignment was very time-consuming, but did not consist of any real research skills other than using google. It surprised me that they did not ask for a writing sample of my actual research, though I have a PhD and publications.

Interview Questions
    • I got a face-to-face interview but I did not get an offer. Possibly because my salary requirements were too high for them - though I only asked what would be DC-area competitive for someone with my credentials (PhD and 3 years analyst experience). Neither of the Content Directors with whom I interviewed had a PhD, though they would have been my supervisors or peers. One of them had been in her position for less than 6 months because the previous content director had left the company. Sounds like turnover is really high at this place.   Answer Question

Jul 14, 2014CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience interviewing at Hanover Research. Many of our research team members have PhDs and JDs, but as the Content ... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Hanover Research in May 2013.

I initially submitted an application and was contacted about a month later to let me know that they were interested in moving on to the next step with me, which was an online test. The online test/questionnaire asked me about my previous work history, including questions such as what did I like most and least about my previous job. There was also a sort of IQ test, which required the manipulation of 3D Tetris-like objects in your head. There were a couple open-ended questions, one of which asked me to answer how the world would be different if people could fly. I only had two minutes to answer each question and was not allowed to delete or backspace anything. Finally, there was a questionnaire section that asked about a variety of work experiences and moral questions, like if I had ever stolen anything from an employer or if I would report a fellow employee or manager if I saw them taking money from the company.

I was moved on to the next section in the process, which was a homework assignment. I had a week to complete the assignment. The assignment required me to answer the questions of an imaginary client with regards to a certain area of higher education, e.g. trends, challenges, etc. To be honest I enjoyed doing the assignment but I do feel that asking job applicants to complete anything that takes more than an hour or two is a bit unreasonable. I spent probably about 15-20 hours on the assignment. I was told I would hear back within 10 days of submitting the assignment, and contacted them when I had not heard back in 14 days. An HR person responded promptly and told me that they would like to bring me in for an interview.

I interviewed with two people separately, 30 minutes each. Both were fairly standard, asking about my previous experience in general and research experience in particular. They both expressed their enjoyment with working at Hanover and that promotions were merit-based, not based on seniority. Overall I had a really pleasant experience interviewing with them.

Despite only positive feedback, I did not receive an offer, though the position appears to remain unfilled. Perhaps they are not actually hiring for this position but are interviewing just to see what's out there.

Interview Questions
    • Not really very difficult- what has been your greatest achievement?   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through other source - interviewed at Hanover Research.

Phone Interview, anther phone interview, online test, on site interview

Interview Questions
    • The Online test is a generic IQ test and not related to your position.   View Answers (2)

Content Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Hanover Research.

I applied online and was contacted within two days for a screener interview and online assessment (personality and verbal reasoning). The phone interview was standard stuff (resume walk, greatest strength/weakness) with more detailed questions about research experience and skills. The next step was a 2,000 word research paper, pretty similar to actual assignments at Hanover. I heard back about scheduling an in-person interview a few days after submitting my paper.

For the final round, I met with two people successively for about 45 minutes each. Again, the questions focused on past research experience and specific analytic skills, as opposed to cultural fit or other professional qualifications. By the end of the week, I was informed that I was still under consideration, and I got the offer a week or so later. All in all, an efficient and straightforward process.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your favorite research project and how you approached it from start to finish.   Answer Question

Worked for Hanover Research? Contribute to the Community!