Harbor Freight Tools Interview Questions

Updated Mar 14, 2015
Updated Mar 14, 2015

2.0

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Harbor Freight Tools.

I actually didn't apply to harbor Freight I was recruited after listening to all the great opportunities the company provides and huge growth opportunity I decided talk with the store manager that interview was only about 30 minutes covering the the daily duties I would be doing around the store then a second interview with setup with the district manager. This was more in depth asking about how I reacted to certain situations but not too hard if you're skilled in this area. I did take the position and I'm looking forward to helping this company build a profitable store and a customer focus team.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of a time when employee was difficult   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you had to increase productivity without increasing headcount   Answer Question

Any Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools.

Not much of an interview. Call and set up a time to come in. And if you're appealing enough and seem to have common sense, then you're pretty much hired.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools.

Applying online was fairly quick and painless, their website is easy to navigate and the questionnaire was an average scenario based/ response and basic math test. The wait was only a week or so and was called in for an interview promptly. The physical interview with the store manager was very comfortable and casual without in lulls in questioning or conversation. Mr. Jason is really professional individual and would definitely recommend working for him rather than the company.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Harbor Freight Tools in February 2015.

The interview was short and concise. My only problem with the interview, and subsequently why I didn't accept the job, was because of the manager. He was a nice guy. However the interview seem like it was his opportunity to tell me how bad and awful his current employees were and why he needed me. I didn't want to accept a job at a place where it was almost a personal assault on the employees. Because if he talked about others that way, then he would probably talk about me that way to someone else.

Retail Warehouse Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Harbor Freight Tools in February 2015.

They just wanna know how desperate you are to earn 7.50 a hour. They claim to want to promote from within but at that rate all your gonna get are desperate people that will jump ship the second they find another better paying job. They can't retain people so you are constantly compensating for the lack of help. Hardest I have ever worked for crumbs.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Poughkeepsie, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Harbor Freight Tools in February 2015.

I applied online on there website and the next day I got a phone call saying they want to schedule a interview with me and so then two days later I went in for my interview and I spent most of my time waiting to be interviewed by the store manager and the actual interview was like 5-15 minutes and then she told that she still had other interviews to do and will let me know if it fits and I never got the phone call

Interview Questions
    • Can you multi task like meaning can you answer the phone while at the sametime taking care of a costumer that's on your line   View Answer
    • The cashiers are responsible for answering the phone and we only let it ring two or three times and they are also responsible for taking care of returns and at times your line can be backed up and can cause you stress will you be able to handle all that   View Answer

Operations Manager Interview

easy going atmosphere store manager laid back back ground check took for ever no negotiating phone interview with recruiter and interview with store manager then with district manager not much else to the interview nothing special just took a long time to get hired on

none

Store Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools.

Anything less than Store Manager is a joke. This company has such a high turnover that the only real requirement is a warm body. Go in, talk about being a hard worker and tell the interviewer you don't mind working at 6AM or staying til 3AM and the job is yours. SM interviews have a bit of substance to them but are still easy. My interview was more of a sit there and listen with an occasional interaction with the interviewer. No brainer.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation considered. They gave me a flat rate and said this is it, nothing more take it or leave it.

Other Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Harbor Freight Tools.

online was a bit of a glitch but the support was awesome and helpful, fast and understanding.

The online app lets you upload a resume but fails to pull information for your app correctly so you end up writing the same thing up to 3 times in different spots I would have preferred a one stop show application

The fact that they use an outside company for things is a little shaky and you end up with multiple logins and passwords and codes

Room for improvement for sure and would definitely prefer and in how solution

Interview Questions
    • nothing out of the ordinary went smooth and fast   View Answer
    there was no negotiation unfortunately I would had preferred a few extra cents on my pay :-)

Assistant Head Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Harbor Freight Tools.

I was called within a few days of posting my resume. I went in for interview and only the basic question asked. Qualifications? Why wanted job? Background? What people thought of me? After interview went home and three/four days later got an offer letter in email.

No negotiations did not even know what was going to make until filling out paperwork to start work.