Harbor Freight Tools Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

2.0

Retail Warehouse Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Harbor Freight Tools (Greenville, SC) in February 2015.

Interview

They just wanna know how desperate you are to earn 7.50 a hour. They claim to want to promote from within but at that rate all your gonna get are desperate people that will jump ship the second they find another better paying job. They can't retain people so you are constantly compensating for the lack of help. Hardest I have ever worked for crumbs.

Interview Questions

• Is part time good for you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Poughkeepsie, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Harbor Freight Tools (Poughkeepsie, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online on there website and the next day I got a phone call saying they want to schedule a interview with me and so then two days later I went in for my interview and I spent most of my time waiting to be interviewed by the store manager and the actual interview was like 5-15 minutes and then she told that she still had other interviews to do and will let me know if it fits and I never got the phone call

Interview Questions

• Can you multi task like meaning can you answer the phone while at the sametime taking care of a costumer that's on your line   1 Answer
    • The cashiers are responsible for answering the phone and we only let it ring two or three times and they are also responsible for taking care of returns and at times your line can be backed up and can cause you stress will you be able to handle all that   2 Answers

Operations Manager Interview

Interview

easy going atmosphere store manager laid back back ground check took for ever no negotiating phone interview with recruiter and interview with store manager then with district manager not much else to the interview nothing special just took a long time to get hired on

Negotiation

none

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Slidell, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Harbor Freight Tools (Slidell, LA) in January 2015.

Interview

Interview was typical. No difficult questions. Most important was availability rather than skill or customer service. It smells really bad in the store so you have to get used to it. Way too much emphasis on getting memberships and warranties. I refuse to hound customers .

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools.

Interview

Anything less than Store Manager is a joke. This company has such a high turnover that the only real requirement is a warm body. Go in, talk about being a hard worker and tell the interviewer you don't mind working at 6AM or staying til 3AM and the job is yours. SM interviews have a bit of substance to them but are still easy. My interview was more of a sit there and listen with an occasional interaction with the interviewer. No brainer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation considered. They gave me a flat rate and said this is it, nothing more take it or leave it.

Other Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Harbor Freight Tools.

Interview

online was a bit of a glitch but the support was awesome and helpful, fast and understanding.

The online app lets you upload a resume but fails to pull information for your app correctly so you end up writing the same thing up to 3 times in different spots I would have preferred a one stop show application

The fact that they use an outside company for things is a little shaky and you end up with multiple logins and passwords and codes

Room for improvement for sure and would definitely prefer and in how solution

Interview Questions

• nothing out of the ordinary went smooth and fast   1 Answer

Negotiation

there was no negotiation unfortunately I would had preferred a few extra cents on my pay :-)

Assistant Head Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Harbor Freight Tools.

Interview

I was called within a few days of posting my resume. I went in for interview and only the basic question asked. Qualifications? Why wanted job? Background? What people thought of me? After interview went home and three/four days later got an offer letter in email.

Negotiation

No negotiations did not even know what was going to make until filling out paperwork to start work.

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools in October 2014.

Interview

I'll start out by saying that I also applied for the Head Cashier position. Was called yesterday and went on interview today. Position at interview was for part time cashier and at 8.00 per hour, but the assistant head would be available soon "most likely", and I had a chance to move up. There seems to be a pattern here, based on the reviews. Interview lasted less than 5 mins. I am the one who ended it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Harbor Freight Tools (Tampa, FL) in October 2014.

Interview

There was no interview for me. Just got asked to work there and was told to just do the application online and wait for an email.No drug test only the background check and application online was simple.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

An email with the position and rate of pay asking if you accept the offer.

Retail Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Harbor Freight Tools in September 2014.

Interview

Interview was scheduled within 24 hours of initial phone call. Interview was extremely laid-back and comfortable. No hard questions, I didn't have to know specifics about the product(s). My gender and previous education/experience with tools didn't matter and that was surprising. I thought I would have to go through a training course of some kind but I did not.
    *After you start the orientation program isn't very thorough, nobody even told me we had a break room. I guess that could change based on your coworkers though. Also my store manager has told me the orientation program has been updated and is more thorough as of recently.*

Negotiation

They only had to wait on the background check, which was to be expected. Emplohed and started work within 1 week of interview.