Harbor Freight Tools

Average Difficulty
10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Store Manager

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools.

Interview Details – Hiring process pretty quick. Application online, phone interviews with recruiter. In person interviews with District Manager, Regional Manager, Human Resources Regional Manager. Offer came quickly after interview process was concluded.

Interview Question – Lots of behavioral/situational questions   Answer Question

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools in March 2011.

Interview Details – Very quick tell me about a time questions. 3 seprate interviews with sifferent DM. Several questions reguarding P&L's and staffing issues. What did you do and how would you do differently if you could do it over questions

Negotiation Details – none

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools in March 2010.

Interview Details – It will take no less than three interviews before you move forward, expect the process to take a month. Keep your eyes peeled in your inbox because the send you a bunch of stuff from weird domains, and you need to fill it all out. Interviewers have been known to waive credit requirements.

Interview Question – It's all scripted. You can find the script on every job website on the planet.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. It's a take it or leave it place.
WOMEN WILL BE OFFERED LESS THAN MEN.

Store Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools.

Interview Details – Started with recruiter phone interview, then in-person interview with DM, then phone interview with Regional manager. All interviews were not behavior-based. They were task based, "what did you do in such and such a situation?"

Interview Question – None. These were the most simplistic management questions I had ever been asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.

Store Manager

I applied through other source and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools.

Interview Details – Interview was long but easy. Basic operations questions.

Interview Question – Review p&l and identify opportunities   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Took about a week

San Diego, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools in May 2013.

Interview Details – I was first interviewed by the district manager and then the regional VP. The DM was thorough and explained a lot about the job itself, got me interested. The Regional is one intense dude. Very smart, dynamic, and gives you more of a vision as to where the company has been and where it's going. You want to work for this guy. I was hooked after this discussion, but have to be honest, I was concerned that I would be able to keep up.

Interview Question – "I can read your resume, tell me what I can't read, tell me why you will add immediate value to our team."   Answer Question

Fresno, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools in November 2010.

Interview Details – For a store manager: Contact through recruiting department (phone interview), Level up supervisor/s interview/s (phone or person interview 1-2 hours), Background check and Offer Letter.

Interview Question – No interview question will be difficult if you prep yourself they will ask a lot, just ask yourself very intense questions on how you changed or bettered your previous positions by challenges and successful goals. I can not stress enough about prepping for the interview with hard questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Depends on where you are going to be working at, always let them know what your last salary was and what you expect from them to compensate towards moving further in your career. I always ask what the salary range is and go 8% less than the highest number. If they really want you they will cap you out without negotiations.

Fort Wayne, IN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools in June 2008.

Interview Details – recruited by head hunter who conducted 2 phone interviews then set up interview at the store

Interview Question – usual questions about differing situations and how the issues were handled   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Saint Louis, MO

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools in August 2011.

Interview Details – The company called me after seeing my resume on line.
We had a pleasent chat and was sent a personality test. I passed both.
It took over a week for corp. to fine the manager to do a face to face interview.
I had to send emails to see what was going on. Go the interview and thought it went pretty well.
In fact as the conversations was going on I felt I knew more than he did. Several days went by and had to send an email to corp to follow up on the interview. It took a day to catch up with the manager and was told I did not have enough selling experence. We talked about basic retail questions. store maintance and some shop talk about different companys. He never asked me about my selling back ground. I only have 20+ years of selling. Wow. I am greatful for not getting the job. I still feel it was because I am an older female and he thought I could not do the lifting even though I have unloaded many a truck.

Interview Questions

Store Manager

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Harbor Freight Tools in August 2009.

Interview Details – The only way you can actually get be a store manager is to go through training modules as an Assistant Store Manager. It does take a long time to get a store. Most Regional Managers and District Managers would like to keep you in his region or district. That's the main reason it will take so long to get a store.

Interview Question – Are you willing to relocate at your expense.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is really no negotiation. You get paid as much as he will tells you.

Worked for Harbor Freight Tools? Contribute to the Community!