Harlem Children's Zone Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

2.5

Writing Specialist Interview

Interview

Very intelligent and insightful interviewers who truly care about the programs they are recruiting for. I applied online and a few weeks later they emailed me. We met for about an hour. It was formal but more of a discussion than Q and A.

College Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Harlem Children's Zone.

Interview

The interview process was long and disorienting. In fact, it took 8 months to get through 2 interviews within the College Success Office for the College Advisor position. The in-house recruiter could not come up with dates that the interviewers would be available to see me. Rather than send me a set of dates to choose from via email, this person would try to reach me via the telephone.

Interview Questions

• What would you make us believe that if we offer you this position that you would stay in it for a substantial time?   1 Answer

Teacher Interview

Interview

I was interviewed for the position by the principal of the school. Not only was I grilled like I was being interrogated but the interview kept being interrupted by phone calls, cleaning crew, and the like. I was moved from place to place without a care.

Interview Questions

• Pertaining to my desire to further my own education: We don't fully support faculty who have outside activities.   Answer Question

Tennis Specialist Interview

Interview

Initial phone interview was for a position I had not applied to. It was great that they reached out for something they thought I would be a good fit for. Phone interview went fast--interviewer spoke fast and direct. In-person interview was the same. Semi-professional dress, very fast. Sent a Thank You email after both interviews. Never heard back after the in-person which was a little unprofessional.

Americorps Program Aide Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Harlem Children's Zone (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

I had an interview a few days after speaking with the manager directly with a one of the senior staff members. After a week, I was sent to the HR office to go to orientation and fill out paperwork. They placed me in the wrong orientation, so I learned nothing about Americorps, then that same day I did the paperwork which was suppose to come afterwards. They told me to get fingerprinted and registered. I did that all in one day, and came back the following morning with all my paperwork and documents ready. It became lost between the point person and HR. After 4 weeks, they finally called back.

Teacher Interview

Interview

I attended an open house job fair back in February 2014. A friend and I had heard not so great things about this school for the last few years but decided to be optimistic and go anyway. We stood in line at various tables to have chance to be informally by principals and HR types. Not impressive at all. Most of the staff seemed false and just there out of obligation. We met with a particular female assistant principal. She was condescending and extremely arrogant - hard to believe she even cares about children more than getting her pedicure for the week. The older administrator sitting next to her looked scared and intimidated by her. My friend and I were disappointed this night and even asked why it appeared they has such high turnover because a million jobs are always posted. One employee explained they are "expanding" - yeah right. Lol

Intervention Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Harlem Children's Zone (New York, NY) in July 2014.

Interview

The interview process was a warning for what the organization is like. Disorganized. I applied online, did a simple phone interview and received a call back for the interview. I went for the interview and was given a test that I was not informed I had to take. Thankfully, the test only consisted of middle school material. After the test, I went to the interview, answered questions about my work experience. Simple. Then I proceeded to wait for weeks. I called and each time there was no answer. Six weeks later, I received a call that I needed to supply my physical results as soon as possible. Confused, I asked, "does this mean I have the job?" The receptionist responded, "Oh, no one told you?...Yes, you got the job." I never received a formal offer, was never told about pay, hours, site, nothing.

Student Advocate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Harlem Children's Zone (New York, NY) in May 2014.

Interview

Warning: Not what I expected. The entire pre-hire process was almost 4 months. Management is unprofessional. Accepting phone calls during the interview. Not giving eye contact or showing any interest. Walking in and out of the group interview. Refused to discuss pay and was referred to HR. Only a few of the duties are discussed in the interview.

Interview Questions

• What are some back pocket ideas for entertaining the students?   Answer Question

College Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Harlem Children's Zone (New York, NY).

Interview

My interview consisted of typical behavioral and scenario questions: strengths, weaknesses, organization, etc. I had 3 interviews during my first visit then returned for a quick second interview with a higher up.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

You should always negotiate if you have relevant experience is my personal opinion

Administration Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Harlem Children's Zone in January 2014.

Interview

Great interview process. One on one interviews and great opportunities to advance