Harlem Children's Zone Interview Questions

Updated Mar 8, 2015
Updated Mar 8, 2015

2.6

College Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Harlem Children's Zone.

The interview process was long and disorienting. In fact, it took 8 months to get through 2 interviews within the College Success Office for the College Advisor position. The in-house recruiter could not come up with dates that the interviewers would be available to see me. Rather than send me a set of dates to choose from via email, this person would try to reach me via the telephone.

Interview Questions
    • What would you make us believe that if we offer you this position that you would stay in it for a substantial time?   View Answer

Teacher Interview

I was interviewed for the position by the principal of the school. Not only was I grilled like I was being interrogated but the interview kept being interrupted by phone calls, cleaning crew, and the like. I was moved from place to place without a care.

Interview Questions
    • Pertaining to my desire to further my own education: We don't fully support faculty who have outside activities.   Answer Question

Tennis Specialist Interview

Initial phone interview was for a position I had not applied to. It was great that they reached out for something they thought I would be a good fit for. Phone interview went fast--interviewer spoke fast and direct. In-person interview was the same. Semi-professional dress, very fast. Sent a Thank You email after both interviews. Never heard back after the in-person which was a little unprofessional.

Teacher Interview

I attended an open house job fair back in February 2014. A friend and I had heard not so great things about this school for the last few years but decided to be optimistic and go anyway.
    We stood in line at various tables to have chance to be informally by principals and HR types.
    Not impressive at all. Most of the staff seemed false and just there out of obligation.
    We met with a particular female assistant principal. She was condescending and extremely arrogant - hard to believe she even cares about children more than getting her pedicure for the week. The older administrator sitting next to her looked scared and intimidated by her.
    My friend and I were disappointed this night and even asked why it appeared they has such high turnover because a million jobs are always posted. One employee explained they are "expanding" - yeah right. Lol

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Harlem Children's Zone in May 2014.

Warning: Not what I expected. The entire pre-hire process was almost 4 months.

Management is unprofessional. Accepting phone calls during the interview. Not giving eye contact or showing any interest. Walking in and out of the group interview. Refused to discuss pay and was referred to HR. Only a few of the duties are discussed in the interview.

Interview Questions
    • What are some back pocket ideas for entertaining the students?   Answer Question

College Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Harlem Children's Zone.

My interview consisted of typical behavioral and scenario questions: strengths, weaknesses, organization, etc. I had 3 interviews during my first visit then returned for a quick second interview with a higher up.

Interview Questions
    You should always negotiate if you have relevant experience is my personal opinion

Administration Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Harlem Children's Zone in January 2014.

Great interview process. One on one interviews and great opportunities to advance

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Harlem Children's Zone.

I was initially contacted by a very friendly individual concerning my interview date. When I arrived at the location, I had to take a very long test (including math & english questions), with 3 people at the same time. It was not a difficult test (for me), but it was very long and unexpected. I passed the test and got the job offer. The person that hired me told me that I would be working as a tutor and a group leader, which I was VERY confused about since I applied for the Student Advocate position. His response was, "At Harlem Children's Zone, we all wear different hats." This was an immediate red flag for me, because I want to work one job, not multiple different positions every day. I denied the offer in the end, specifically because it conflicted with my school schedule.

Interview Questions
    • If a teenager asked you who you were, what would you tell them?   Answer Question

It conflicted with my school schedule

Child Daycare Worker ( Junior Staff) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Harlem Children's Zone in June 2012.

I was hooked up with this job because someone told me to speak to the supervisor of the location. He said he I could come in for an interview on the Friday of that week. The interview was real brief and basically you were handed the job unless you had an issue with something.

Student Advocate Interview

Easy interview, I was hired on the spot based on my extensive experience. They like to stress that this job is not just a resume builder and that your will be "in the trenches" working with at-risk students with tough issues.

Interview Questions
    • What examples can you give where you've dealt with at-risk youth?   Answer Question