Harman Becker Automotive Systems

Updated Oct 3, 2014
Updated Oct 3, 2014

2.5

Senior Engineer Noise Management Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Harman Becker Automotive Systems in September 2014.

Initially recruited from LinkedIn. General phone interview with HR, then Chief Engineer, then onsite interviews with Senior Engineer, Manager, and then Chief Engineer Again. No curve-balls, just needed to know what was on your resume and demonstrate technical competency. Overall a good experience.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between an IIR and FIR filter?   View Answer
    HR was accommodating in offer negotiations and were very helpful. Overall it took 1 week. Sign-on bonuses are not standard due to comprehensive relocation package; however, this was able to be negotiated in as well - just don't expect it.

Electronics Tech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Franklin, KY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Harman Becker Automotive Systems in July 2014.

Went in, answered very few questions, discussed electronics and circuit components, showed what I could bring to the table, asked how I could grow in the company, took a magically tour of the facility, and talked to some current employees.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Staffing agency. Will recap after 6 months.

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmington Hills, MI

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Harman Becker Automotive Systems in January 2013.

First received a call from HR to make a schedule for the on-site interview. The interview process is very simple , and basically about behavior questions. There were two interviewers. One asked me several questions about the previous projects I did in school. After that, another interviewer mainly described the job for me. (Maybe they felt that I should be a fit for this job, and decided to give me an offer) The whole interview process is about half an hour.

Interview Questions
    Received the call from the HR in the next week and asked me if is $17/hr OK for me. Because this is the first job for me, I didn't care much about the salary. Therefore, the negotiation was very simple and quick.

Electrical Engineering Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Franklin, KY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Harman Becker Automotive Systems in December 2011.

They did require a testing to show your knowledge. Once you pass that round, the manager ( who knew nothing of electronics) would ask you a few behavioral based questions, which we had informed her to ask. If you satisfied her, you were given to another technician who would really drill down your skill sets to see if you could benefit and fit it with the team. Once accepted, you were on a 3 month temporary probation (not an employee of Harman) and with no warning it jumped to 6. This really affecting a lot of our team, the good ones stayed and stuck it out. The really good ones left. Once you are hired and a member of Harman, life wasn't good until 6 months after that. That's when you started earning vacation time. If you were absent 3 days, you were fired regardless of Dr. note. That meant 1 whole year with of perfect attendance (we worked 7 days a week, with only 1 day off a month) so 345 days of working. One little note once you are a temporary, you are allowed 3 points (1 point for a day missed). If you have 2 points, then you are hired by Harman you start from fresh.

Interview Questions
    • My best advice would be to be confident and know your electronics. Once the technician's smell doubt and hesitation, they doubt your knowledge and abilities and are hesitant to recommend you.   Answer Question
    The negotiation was straight forward. This is your starting wage. Once hired by Harman these are your benefits; your salary will increase 12.5%. Once you prove yourself to be an asset, then the negotiation can begin. Once I told them I was being head hunted they offered to give a 25% increase.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmington Hills, MI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Harman Becker Automotive Systems in September 2009.

Strangest interview I ever had. Manager kept asking questions about what sort of management style I worked best with rather than questions about my education and experience. Turns out they hired an inexperienced candidate who left 3 months after.

Software Qualification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Upper Saddle River, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Upper Saddle River, NJ

The process took a dayinterviewed at Harman Becker Automotive Systems in June 2007.

The interview was simple and straight-forward. I interviewed with several people in different teams. The questions were standard behavioral interview questions with some functional questions mixed in. Some people were really cool and easy to talk to and others played the bad cop and asked the difficult questions. The people and work culture at this location of the company is very laid bad and they are all really nice people. The company did not reimburse for travel expenses, which was disappointing.

Interview Questions
    • During the tour of the office, they stopped and explained a critical problem they were facing that day and asked me how I suggested they fix it.   View Answer