HarperCollins Interview Questions

Updated May 9, 2014
Updated May 9, 2014

2.5

Publicist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at HarperCollins.

I was contacted by someone in HR after an employee referral and had an interview right away. Second interview was the very next week. After that, I didn't hear back from HR or the hiring manager until I prompted them with an email. Ultimately, I did not get the job, but the process was very easy-going, and, for the most part they were pretty communicative. The people were very nice and upfront and overall, a good experience.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really unexpected at all. No trick questions, just an honest discussion about your work and what you have done and where you want to be.   Answer Question

Publicity and Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at HarperCollins in December 2013.

Someone from HR contacted me to set up a phone interview with her and to fill out an extended application three weeks after I applied for the position through the HarperCollins website. The phone interview happened two days later, lasted for about 30 minutes, and at the end of the interview we arranged for an interview at their office about a week after the phone interview. Three days after the in-person interview, I received an email asking to set up another interview with HarperCollins colleagues in the UK. The third interview happened about a week after the second interview. I was emailed three weeks later (the winter holidays happened so I assume it won't always take so long) saying an internal candidate had been offered the position. The interview process was great, and they accommodated my holiday traveling by setting up a Skype interview between myself and the UK office. Everyone I met was warm and cordial, and the interviews all flowed very naturally. They didn't ask any trick questions, they just wanted to hear about my experience and it was essential for me to be able to present myself and my resume in a professional and knowledgable manner.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite genre of literature?   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at HarperCollins.

had three people interview me

Research Intern Interview

Applied online. Received a call from HR a month later. They said they would follow up in a month. Did not receive call, so I called them. A week later HR informed me that unbeknownst to them position had already been filled.

Editorial Assistant Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at HarperCollins.

Interviewed with HR then interviewed with editor I'd be assisting. Stupidly easy interview because she knew I wouldn't be using my brain at all. I was asked what my favorite TV shows were before leaving. They will call your references so don't lie on your resume.

Interview Questions
    When I was told the salary I asked for a little more and they said no. I was only able to live comfortably in NYC because I had a second job as a waitress that paid me more annually than HC did. My coworkers were constantly worried about the lack of money they made.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at HarperCollins in April 2012.

It was a good interview. A lot of concentration on past work duties and attendance. They wanted to know all about my past and in detail. Interviewer was very professional a nice, but was very very professional. Do you homework before you show up, they will expect it. If you don't then you will most likely fail.

Publicity Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at HarperCollins in September 2010.

Interview was casual. Come with questions, schedule, and resume.

Interview Questions
    • What do you see yourself doing after you graduate?   View Answer

Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at HarperCollins in August 2010.

HarperCollins had a very laid back feel to their interview. They were genuinely interested in their candidates, and rather than asking the generic questions you would expect in an interview - the conversation just flowed naturally. The only think I'd say for future candidates is to come prepared with questions to ask at the end. Make sure they are related to the position you are applying for. They seem to really appreciate you digging into the job - and the company as a whole.

Interview Questions
    • What attracts you to HarperCollins, rather than the other huge publishers in the city?   Answer Question

Shipping Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scranton, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scranton, PA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at HarperCollins in July 2009.

I came in as a temp, and was offered the position. My immediate supervisor stopped me in the hall & told me that if I wanted the job, it was mine.
    I did have to go through a cursory interview w/HR, but it was more of a chat than actual interview.--since I'd been doing the job for 3 months.

Interview Questions
    • HR VP seemed more interested that I knew his brother who was a member of the School Board at the High School from which I had graduated 20 years previous.   Answer Question

Associate Publicist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at HarperCollins in August 2008.

It was late summer, but the application process was rather quick. I submitted online, and got a call to confirm an interview within a week for the next week. The office was abandoned because of Friday summer hours; it was empty and dark, while one assistant worked tirelessly alone at her desk. But the Lothario hiring supervisor seemed to prefer it. Still, the interview was quick and efficient, but in no way was I exposed to "work culture" because no effort was made by either HR or the hiring department beyond a perfunctory Q&A of company benefits and "the best part is the people." For summer interviews, always schedule a weekday.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think ______ magazine is so important?   View Answer