Harris Interactive

Getting the Interview

6 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Project Researcher Interview

I applied through other source and interviewed at Harris Interactive.

Interview Details – These people are truly ridiculous. As everyone else has mentioned, you talk with HR on the phone first, and they have no idea how to answer any actual job function questions. They first make you do a 'writing sample' in which you are supposed to interpret 25+ pages of nonsensical data with no context whatsoever. I have worked in research for quite awhile and this took me 7+ hours. I'm sure it could be completed faster but I thought it might get me an interview so I spent some more time on it... and then I never heard from them again.

If they're going to ask for 'writing samples' they should really do something more sensitive to candidates' time. And they should do them AFTER meeting them. I knew almost nothing about the job (aside from the job listing) and didn't even talk to anyone I would be working with so I really had no way of knowing whether completing the assignment would be a good use of time. Spoiler alert: it definitely wasn't!

Oh, and their salary ranges are pitiful.

Interview Question – Make sense of these 25+ pages of statistical output. Sorry, no context allowed.   View Answer

Assistant Project Researcher Interview

Assistant Project Researcher

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Harris Interactive in August 2013.

Interview Details – Applied some time in the summer after being referred to the company. Was contacted soon after by HR. They emailed me and gave me 36 hours to complete a writing sample and 5 slide powerpoint that was impossible to comprehend or try to summarize about some kind of medical disorder. It look about 4 hours to complete.
I handed in the sample before the deadline and followed up. I was informed that there was movement in the company and to try back in a few weeks. I've since gotten back in touch with Harris to have no response or acknowledgement for completion of the project.

Interview Question – multiple page case study about a medical disorder. Had to write a 2 page memo about fake information long with a powerpoint to summarize the fake information.   Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Harris Interactive in September 2010.

Interview Details – I was given a phone interview by a HR representative and then required to do a writing sample. I had to analyze answers from a survey and create a memo and a short powerpoint based on that information within a 36 hr time frame. I then had to follow up interviews with 3 managers at Harris who asked general questions and questions about the writing sample.

Interview Question – Why market research?   Answer Question

Project Researcher

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Harris Interactive in November 2011.

Interview Details – Interview process was very drawn out. First interview was with HR, which was pretty standard. Then the next step was a phone interview with 3 Managers which was a bit strange. The questions asked were pretty standard about past projects I've worked on and my experience. I didn't feel I did that well on the interview, but did get a call back for another interview with a Director. This was yet again another phone interview. This interview was very pleasant and was more of a conversation than an interview and went very well. HR confirmed that the Director really liked me and the next step would be the take home assignment. So I spent many hours writing up findings based on some tables they sent me and creating charts in PowerPoint. (Hint: they have reports on their websites so you can see what kind of conclusions they typically make from their studies).

After all of this I don't hear anything from them for at least 3 weeks. HR finally called me and told me they decided to hire from within. So that was a bit frustrating as I had put a lot of time and effort into the whole process.

Interview Question – Take me through a favorite project of yours and the conclusion and recommendations that were made to the client.   Answer Question

Research Manager Interview

Research Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Harris Interactive in February 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online and had a request for a phone interview within a few days from the HR rep. HR rep forgot about the phone interview we had scheduled (red flag right there!). I ended up calling her and leaving a VM. She called back within a few minutes and apologized, saying she forgot. Um, okay? Answered some very basic questions. She set up the next interview right away while we were on the call.

Met with the team. Interview went very well...they asked intelligent questions that related to the job and my skills/experience. Not a whole lot of cliches, but there was a greatest strength/weakness thrown in for good measure. The team said they would make a decision "early next week."

Early next week came and went with nary of a phone call or email regarding the status. I followed up with the HR rep & she said they were still interviewing more people but I was still in the running.

Early the next week, I got a request for a writing sample, wanting me to write a short report from a few data tables. I found it to be very difficult as I was given no background on the study, just 3 data tables. I made a lot of things up. Why couldn't they have given me a mock proposal with a little background on what this study is for?

Then, more crickets. We're coming up on 5 weeks now. What, are they selecting the next pope?

Received another email from HR a week later, saying that they're interviewing MORE people and should have a decision by (you guessed it) "early next week."

Early next week came and went and more crickets.

Guess I didn't get it. Meh. I got a better job offer anyway.

Interview Question – How do you go about choosing a methodology for a study?   Answer Question

Market Research Analyst Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Harris Interactive in September 2010.

Interview Details – HR lady called to set up phone interview. On the day we spoke, she said she just got a memo from the home office that they're closing the Claremont location and the position would now be home based. I said I was still interested and she would call me back when she found out what was going on at the home office. She emailed me a few days later to report the position was commission only, would not be available until 2011, and apologized for the misunderstanding.

Interview Question – Will you work on commission only?   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Harris Interactive? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Harris Interactive interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by Harris Interactive employees and interview candidates.