Harris Interview Questions

Updated Sep 17, 2014
Updated Sep 17, 2014

2.7

Network Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Harris.

Very focused and relevant. There were about 5 interviewers with varying levels of expertise. Some knew less than the interviewee. Most interviewers wanted to make sure there was a good attitude and fit - that is a good thing.

Interview Questions
    • The question - "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" Thought that was a bit old-school.   Answer Question

Network Planning Engineer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Harris.

Had to fill out the application twice, which was kind of annoying - once online and then again on a PDF when they scheduled my interview. The interview consisted of a panel of three people and required that I give a presentation on a product that I know, but pretending that it is a Harris product. Technical questions were straightforward, but there were a lot of situational questions that required some pause. These included naming a time that I had a project that didn't go well and what I did, a project that went well and why it was successful, and finally - some questions about a time when I didn't agree with my boss and what I did. Be prepared for the normal "where do you see yourself in 5 years" and "tell us about yourself" questions here.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly the questions about situations when I agree/disagreed with my boss and what I did. I never really have memorable disagreements with management, so these were kind of tough for me to come up with.   Answer Question
    Negotiate hard for a good base salary and annual performance bonuses. Lately, annual salary increases are no greater than 1.5%, so don't rely upon that to get you where you should be for the year or to reflect the hard work you're putting in.

Senior Electrical Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Harris in July 2014.

Interview spanned from 10AM until about 3PM. First met briefly with the hiring manager and discussed the job description and my background. Then I presented my vitae to a panel of about a dozen engineers. The tone of panel was good and questions allowed me to expand on my experience.

Afterward, met with a series of individual interviewers. The second interview was over lunch in the company cafeteria. Sessions lasted over half an hour each. Most questions were technical in nature of easy to moderate difficulty. One interviewer asked only behavioral interview questions. One of the senior engineers I met with was very knowledgeable and experienced but was not good at interviewing.

The last two persons I met with were security and HR. Those two were mostly a waste of time, but it was good to meet them in the case that I did accept an offer.

Many of the interviewers asked all of the taboo personal questions about family. This may have been just friendly but it wasted interview time and showed poor ethics for a company of its size and background. I got the vibe from one senior manager that he knew better.

It only took a week to get a response after the interview.

Junior Embedded Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Harris.

Got an interview call through career fair. Interviewed for the first round involving questions in C++ and C. Basic questions asked which were easy. Concentrated more on semaphores, mutexes, multi-threading programming and interrupts. Started with questions on resume and asked few programming questions.

Software Engineer IV Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mason, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mason, OH

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Harris.

Submitted resume but HR did not forward to manager. Had to find contact in order to move forward.

blah blah

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Harris.

Started off with a simple phone interview to get a sense of my technical background. We really just explored the various parts of my resume in detail so that they could get a better sense of my background.

Interview Questions
    Not a position offer, but got to move on to the next stage of the interview.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Harris.

Knowing the right people at Harris can get you in the door without the formal interview process

no negotiation

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Harris in April 2014.

I was contacted by the company directly. Spoke with their recruiter who scheduled an interview with the project lead. Spoke with him by phone for approximately 30-45 minutes. A couple weeks went by and they contacted me to schedule an in person interview. They arranged my flight, hotel, and transportation. I arrived for a day of interviews with 5 or 6 software engineers (separately), followed by a brief meeting with HR and then the project lead (whom I initially spoke with by phone). They also provided lunch at their cafeteria (pretty good). The following week they contacted me to make a verbal offer.

Interview Questions
    • The two most difficult questions I had were were with regards to Multi-threading and memory management/garbage collection. Both are areas I have not had many opportunities to explore.   Answer Question
    Salary and relocation were negotiated. Know what salary range you are expecting, and benefits. Be honest about your needs and willing to talk with them.

Electrical Engineer I Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Harris in April 2014.

First I got a phone call from one of the engineers as a basic interview. Which were your hardest classes, which were your easiest. What was the most difficult part of your project.

The next was an all day interview/ tour of their facilities. Fantastic! Started at head quarters then went to the other office that pertained to my hiring process. Met with the EM with a quick get to know you type interview. Then I took a tour with one of the engineers. I was able to see their labs. Next I went to lunch with another engineer and talked about some of the projects they worked on and what I've worked on.
    When I got back I had a panel interview with four interviewers at once, it was not intimidating, very comfortable. Talked about my projects again, some of the challenges I've been through, looked at my transcripts, and why I chose that major.

Finally wrapped it up with the EM again and talked about my experience and how I felt on the process. Also, he talked about the way it would work after that. How I would hear back and what maybe to expect.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most creative way you fixed a problem on a project.   View Answer
    I believe there is, however I was satisfied with the offer.

Electrical Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Harris.

Collected my resume at campus career fair, was contacted later by a recruiter to set up a phone interview. Phone interview was with two people, mostly technical and asking about questions on my resume and to elaborate on what was written.

Interview Questions
    • not too difficult. Just know your resume, be able to talk about everything on it.   Answer Question