Harris Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2014
Updated Aug 30, 2014

2.7

Senior Electrical Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Harris in July 2014.

Interview spanned from 10AM until about 3PM. First met briefly with the hiring manager and discussed the job description and my background. Then I presented my vitae to a panel of about a dozen engineers. The tone of panel was good and questions allowed me to expand on my experience.

Afterward, met with a series of individual interviewers. The second interview was over lunch in the company cafeteria. Sessions lasted over half an hour each. Most questions were technical in nature of easy to moderate difficulty. One interviewer asked only behavioral interview questions. One of the senior engineers I met with was very knowledgeable and experienced but was not good at interviewing.

The last two persons I met with were security and HR. Those two were mostly a waste of time, but it was good to meet them in the case that I did accept an offer.

Many of the interviewers asked all of the taboo personal questions about family. This may have been just friendly but it wasted interview time and showed poor ethics for a company of its size and background. I got the vibe from one senior manager that he knew better.

It only took a week to get a response after the interview.

Network Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Harris.

Very focused and relevant. There were about 5 interviewers with varying levels of expertise. Some knew less than the interviewee. Most interviewers wanted to make sure there was a good attitude and fit - that is a good thing.

Interview Questions
    • The question - "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" Thought that was a bit old-school.   Answer Question

Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne, FL

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a day - interviewed at Harris in July 2010.

Panel interview consisting of 10 interviews at one time. Able to spend 20-30 minutes per interviewer to discuss experience vs. expectations for various positions. The diversity of the interviewers were a little off putting as each had their own agenda and therefore, was difficult to switch from one set of questions to another in the quick two or three minutes we had to switch between interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • Asked what the most difficult situation/problem has been over my previous career and how did I resolve the issue.   Answer Question
    Minimal interactions. Since it was a staffing rep, got the offer that was acceptable to the position that they wanted me in.

Network Planning Engineer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Harris.

Had to fill out the application twice, which was kind of annoying - once online and then again on a PDF when they scheduled my interview. The interview consisted of a panel of three people and required that I give a presentation on a product that I know, but pretending that it is a Harris product. Technical questions were straightforward, but there were a lot of situational questions that required some pause. These included naming a time that I had a project that didn't go well and what I did, a project that went well and why it was successful, and finally - some questions about a time when I didn't agree with my boss and what I did. Be prepared for the normal "where do you see yourself in 5 years" and "tell us about yourself" questions here.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly the questions about situations when I agree/disagreed with my boss and what I did. I never really have memorable disagreements with management, so these were kind of tough for me to come up with.   Answer Question
    Negotiate hard for a good base salary and annual performance bonuses. Lately, annual salary increases are no greater than 1.5%, so don't rely upon that to get you where you should be for the year or to reflect the hard work you're putting in.

Human Resources Generalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne, FL

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Harris in April 2010.

Smooth and streamlined, long day but very detailed. A lot of forms to fill out. A lot of information to absorb all in one day. Person who facilitated orientation could not answer all the questions that were asked.

seamless

Software Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Greenbelt, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenbelt, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Harris in September 2011.

I was asked general questions on attitude towards work in a phone screen. In person, I was asked easy questions on C++ like what is the difference between stack and heap. I was not asked technical questions to back up any aspect of my experience except for the easy C++ questions.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult question was the easiest but I was pretty unprepared and answered wrong: "what is the difference between stack and heap"   View Answer

Junior Embedded Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Harris.

Got an interview call through career fair. Interviewed for the first round involving questions in C++ and C. Basic questions asked which were easy. Concentrated more on semaphores, mutexes, multi-threading programming and interrupts. Started with questions on resume and asked few programming questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Harris in April 2014.

I was contacted by the company directly. Spoke with their recruiter who scheduled an interview with the project lead. Spoke with him by phone for approximately 30-45 minutes. A couple weeks went by and they contacted me to schedule an in person interview. They arranged my flight, hotel, and transportation. I arrived for a day of interviews with 5 or 6 software engineers (separately), followed by a brief meeting with HR and then the project lead (whom I initially spoke with by phone). They also provided lunch at their cafeteria (pretty good). The following week they contacted me to make a verbal offer.

Interview Questions
    • The two most difficult questions I had were were with regards to Multi-threading and memory management/garbage collection. Both are areas I have not had many opportunities to explore.   Answer Question
    Salary and relocation were negotiated. Know what salary range you are expecting, and benefits. Be honest about your needs and willing to talk with them.

Software Engineer IV Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mason, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mason, OH

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Harris.

Submitted resume but HR did not forward to manager. Had to find contact in order to move forward.

blah blah

Technical Trainer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lynchburg, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lynchburg, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Harris in December 2012.

Online application followed by phone call interview followed by panel/multiple interviews on same day over 2hrs.

Worked for Harris? Contribute to the Community!