Harris Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 21, 2015

2.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Harris (Melbourne, FL) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online, and about a month later was contacted for a phone interview, this was very simple, no technical just questions about favorite classes and some behavioral stuff. Was flown out to Melbourne in Florida for the in person interview, which lasted from 8 to 1:30, including lunch. Pretty easy for me, but a lot of questions about past group stuff, and though I was told there would be no technical questions, be prepared for some simple stuff, especially if you claim to know Unix at all. You will fist be given a schedule of whom you will meet with, the first generally being someone to tell you about how the secret clearance thing works. Then you will meet with 6 people from the team that you are interviewing with, again the technical questions were not standard, it appears that some of the engineers will take the initiative to ask you for their own benefit so your don't count on the questions I gave you to be standard or anything.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Harris

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Harris (Melbourne, FL) in April 2015.

Interview

I was referred by an employee so I had a short phone screen after which they invited me for an onsite interview in Melbourne, FL. As is standard they covered all expenses for the trip (reimbursement came in a reasonable amount of time too). The interview process was not at all technical, it instead dealt almost exclusively with background and experiences. They seem much more concerned about having someone that will be able to fit in and work there than raw technical ability.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time in which someone in a group wasn't pulling their weight and how did you handle that situation.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

The interview were more like desperate attempts to get you to come there. No technical questions. A lot of casual talk but really nothing challenging. Nice for a first interview because it is so easy. Also, it is a free trip to the beach.

Interview Questions

• Questions were like "Are you a leader or follower?", "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?", and "Do you work well in teams?"   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Harris.

Interview

Started off with a simple phone interview to get a sense of my technical background. We really just explored the various parts of my resume in detail so that they could get a better sense of my background.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not a position offer, but got to move on to the next stage of the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Harris (Melbourne, FL) in April 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by the company directly. Spoke with their recruiter who scheduled an interview with the project lead. Spoke with him by phone for approximately 30-45 minutes. A couple weeks went by and they contacted me to schedule an in person interview. They arranged my flight, hotel, and transportation. I arrived for a day of interviews with 5 or 6 software engineers (separately), followed by a brief meeting with HR and then the project lead (whom I initially spoke with by phone). They also provided lunch at their cafeteria (pretty good). The following week they contacted me to make a verbal offer.

Interview Questions

• The two most difficult questions I had were were with regards to Multi-threading and memory management/garbage collection. Both are areas I have not had many opportunities to explore.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary and relocation were negotiated. Know what salary range you are expecting, and benefits. Be honest about your needs and willing to talk with them.

Anonymous Employee in Palm Bay, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Harris (Palm Bay, FL).

Interview

Pretty simple process. After I applied I received a call to do a phone interview. The phone interview lasted for about twenty minutes or so and was pretty basic. About a week after that I got another call to do an in person interview which was a whole day affair.

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Harris (Melbourne, FL) in November 2013.

Interview

I attended a career fair at my school and my resume was forwarded to the different departments in the company. I received an email about doing a phone screening a couple months later which led to a follow up interview at the headquarters in Melbourne FL. The interview lasted from about 8:00 to 3:30 with 5 different staff members. The questions were straight forward and about what I expected.

Interview Questions

• Very unusual question by the last interviewer. How many musical notes are played on a radio station in 24 hours?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

Interview

HR initiated interest via email. Technical lead called for a phone screen Onsite with 4 engineers and 1 team manager and 1 HR rep.

Interview Questions

• What is priority inversion and how to resolve it.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Harris (Columbia, MD) in November 2011.

Interview

Interviewed in Columbia for software engineer position. Consisted of four behavioral interviews and a lunch interview. Took a month and a half to hear any word from the company.

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Harris (Melbourne, FL) in October 2011.

Interview

Interview was very straight forward. I got interviewed for the healthcare division (a growing one over there). Consisted with basically the same interview questions from a sheet. You get two of the programmers, one 2nd to the head, then the director. I believe I messed up the last one with the director, because he asked something different the other three didn't.