Harris Teeter Cashier Interview Questions & Reviews

29 interviews

1.8

29 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Cashier Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Harris Teeter in July 2014.

Applied online in April. Got a phone interview mid-July. During the phone interview I was asked to come in for a 1:1 interview. 1:1 interview was nice, fairly casual, I believe the main point was to assess your ability to talk to customers without freezing up. I dressed casually, but not too formal. Immediately after the 1:1 interview, before I left, I was asked to take a drug test (just sit there for 5ish minutes with a swab on a stick in your mouth). Within a week, I was called and told my drug and background checks came back fine and was asked when I wanted to come in to fill out tax forms.

Interview Questions
  • All questions were fairly straightforward - Previous experience, Why do you want to work at Harris Teeter, etc   Answer Question
No negotiation, very flexible scheduling made up for it in my opinion.

Other Interview Reviews for Harris Teeter

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Harris Teeter in April 2014.

It was a easy interview nothing hard just simple questions as in your availability and why your interested in working for Harris teeter... I was hired on the spot and I love it there

Interview Questions
    I was able to negotiate my availability with them cause I have a son and still be able to get my 30 hrs

Cashier Interview

Called for in store interview, if acceptable, must have background check and drug screen. Interviewer stated that if all went well, than an offer would be made that I could accept or decline. Interviewer stated that they had other interviews and the would choose the best qualified candidate for the position.

Interview Questions
    • What is one of your weaknesses and how are you trying to improve upon that weakness?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cary, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

I interviewed online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Harris Teeter in June 2014.

After about four (long and worrisome) weeks since I submitted my online application, I was invited to a phone interview. During the phone interview, I got scheduled for a face to face interview. They had an interview fair at a larger Harris Teeter in the area (not at the store where I was planning on working). All the applicants were dressed up and the people I saw being interviewed looked 16-25 years old. When an interviewer was ready, I sat down at a table across from him. He made me feel very comfortable and asked me about myself and my work experience. I went into a room to get a drug test and when I was done, they let me go and told me that I should be contacted in the next two weeks by my store manager. It was easy! Good luck. So far Harris Teeter is great! I'm excited to send the rest of my summer break working here.

Interview Questions
    • They only asked me the two things above... It was harder to speak in general about myself because I had no guidelines on what to say. It was very lax.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cary, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Harris Teeter in March 2013.

1 initial interview, included: describing your self, your work experience, your motivation, why you have what it takes to work as a associate of harris teeter. Then you come back for a saliva drug test done at the store. (a sponge is placed in your mouth for about 5 minutes until it collects enough saliva. Then it is Fed-Ex'd to a testing place for review.)

Interview Questions
    There was none. It was based off of experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cornelius, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cornelius, NC

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Harris Teeter in December 2010.

Availability was a key factor. The manager for the department for which I applied said that sundays were required, though to be assured that it would not be every week. This held true. The interview process was very informal, included most of the usual interview questions, and also a phone call survey to test one's honesty. In this call, several questions of decreasing significance were being asked, such as "if you found money on the ground, would you keep it or attempt to find it's rightful owner?", for which being real and honest about one's answers was beneficial. Do not try to sound great here, but be honest. After being hired, there was, of course, a probationary period during which I had to prove myself capable for the position of cashier, but there was a lot of help available to me. A great place to work for a grocery store.

Interview Questions
    I was offered the highest amount that I put down on my application for pay sought. Easy and straight forward.

Cashier Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Harris Teeter in February 2014.

I submitted online application through Harris Teeter website, and the supervisor called me in 2 days to set the interview date.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked whether I am attending college or not, how many hours i can work ( I said 25-30 hrs a week, and it was perfect for them), things I know about Harris Teeter, what made me to apply for this job at Harris Teeter .......

It was my first interview so I didn't know what to say to the questions. I read some interview answers before I went to interview, and it helped me a lot. Just google them :D Try to wear something formal but pretty. You don't have to suit up but anyway...
        Answer Question

They offered me $7.50/hr, but I needed a lot more, so I quitted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Harris Teeter in October 2012.

Applied online, got a call 2 days later scheduled interview, did drug test and was hired upon passing the test.

Interview Questions
    Nothing, you start at 7.50 an hr.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fulton, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fulton, MD

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Harris Teeter.

I do not remember exactly the questions but research a little about how the company got started as that seems to be important to some interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. Dress properly (business casual is good enough)   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Harris Teeter in May 2013.

I applied, went in and spoke to the co-manager, and he told me he'd call me. (I didn't think he would though because I never get called!) I got a call a week and a half later.
    The interview was very laid back. It was my first interview, and it didn't feel like one; more like small talk. After I told him about myself he basically jumped right in and told me about harris teeter store policies and training, etc. I knew I got the job at that moment.
    This is my first job.

Interview Questions
    • Literally asked two questions:
      Tell me about yourself.
      Why do you want to work at harris teeter?
        View Answer
    Pay wasn't discussed

Worked for Harris Teeter? Contribute to the Community!