Harris Teeter

Average Difficulty
26 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Cary, NC

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Harris Teeter in June 2014.

Interview Details – After about four (long and worrisome) weeks since I submitted my online application, I was invited to a phone interview. During the phone interview, I got scheduled for a face to face interview. They had an interview fair at a larger Harris Teeter in the area (not at the store where I was planning on working). All the applicants were dressed up and the people I saw being interviewed looked 16-25 years old. When an interviewer was ready, I sat down at a table across from him. He made me feel very comfortable and asked me about myself and my work experience. I went into a room to get a drug test and when I was done, they let me go and told me that I should be contacted in the next two weeks by my store manager. It was easy! Good luck. So far Harris Teeter is great! I'm excited to send the rest of my summer break working here.

Interview Question – They only asked me the two things above... It was harder to speak in general about myself because I had no guidelines on what to say. It was very lax.   Answer Question

Cary, NC

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Harris Teeter in March 2013.

Interview Details – 1 initial interview, included: describing your self, your work experience, your motivation, why you have what it takes to work as a associate of harris teeter. Then you come back for a saliva drug test done at the store. (a sponge is placed in your mouth for about 5 minutes until it collects enough saliva. Then it is Fed-Ex'd to a testing place for review.)

Interview Question – "Why do you want to work here?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was none. It was based off of experience.

Cornelius, NC

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Harris Teeter in December 2010.

Interview Details – Availability was a key factor. The manager for the department for which I applied said that sundays were required, though to be assured that it would not be every week. This held true. The interview process was very informal, included most of the usual interview questions, and also a phone call survey to test one's honesty. In this call, several questions of decreasing significance were being asked, such as "if you found money on the ground, would you keep it or attempt to find it's rightful owner?", for which being real and honest about one's answers was beneficial. Do not try to sound great here, but be honest. After being hired, there was, of course, a probationary period during which I had to prove myself capable for the position of cashier, but there was a lot of help available to me. A great place to work for a grocery store.

Interview Question – So tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was offered the highest amount that I put down on my application for pay sought. Easy and straight forward.

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Harris Teeter in February 2014.

Interview Details – I submitted online application through Harris Teeter website, and the supervisor called me in 2 days to set the interview date.

Interview Question – I was asked whether I am attending college or not, how many hours i can work ( I said 25-30 hrs a week, and it was perfect for them), things I know about Harris Teeter, what made me to apply for this job at Harris Teeter .......

It was my first interview so I didn't know what to say to the questions. I read some interview answers before I went to interview, and it helped me a lot. Just google them :D Try to wear something formal but pretty. You don't have to suit up but anyway...
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – They offered me $7.50/hr, but I needed a lot more, so I quitted.

Very Easy Interview

Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Harris Teeter in October 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online, got a call 2 days later scheduled interview, did drug test and was hired upon passing the test.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult since this was my first job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nothing, you start at 7.50 an hr.

Fulton, MD

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Harris Teeter.

Interview Details – I do not remember exactly the questions but research a little about how the company got started as that seems to be important to some interviewers.

Interview Question – No difficult questions. Dress properly (business casual is good enough)   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Harris Teeter in May 2013.

Interview Details – I applied, went in and spoke to the co-manager, and he told me he'd call me. (I didn't think he would though because I never get called!) I got a call a week and a half later.
The interview was very laid back. It was my first interview, and it didn't feel like one; more like small talk. After I told him about myself he basically jumped right in and told me about harris teeter store policies and training, etc. I knew I got the job at that moment.
This is my first job.

Interview Question – Literally asked two questions:
Tell me about yourself.
Why do you want to work at harris teeter?
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – Pay wasn't discussed

Ashburn, VA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Harris Teeter in April 2009.

Interview Details – I applied but did not receive a reply for almost three weeks. They called me and asked me to come in for an interview. After the original interview (one on one with the customer service manager), I took a test on basic ethics and morals, etc. There was a drug test and a background check.

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Harris Teeter.

Interview Details – Applied online and then promptly walked in to the store and asked for the manager. I let her know that I applied and she said she would review it and took my name down. She later told me that me actually walking in to the store is what made her so interested in me. Called later for an interview, it was very easy. Took a drug test and was hired within a week.

Interview Question – Not a difficult interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Starting salary was above minimum wage

Clemmons, NC

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Harris Teeter in March 2010.

Interview Details – Applied and was called a few days later. Met with a manager and then was told to come back and watch a few videos.

Interview Question – After the videos, you are required to take a couple tests.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Harris Teeter

Worked for Harris Teeter? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Harris Teeter Cashier interview questions and advice. All 26 interview reviews posted anonymously by Harris Teeter employees and interview candidates.