Harris Teeter

Updated Feb 22, 2015

1.9

Co Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Harris Teeter.

You will first do a battery of questions online that will determine if you will fit the culture. It can take up to a few months before you will hear back. You may have to keep your application updated due to them taking applications. They will contact you when they have positions to fill. The first interview is with a recruiter that will qualify your experience. They will then set you up to meet with a district manager to to a face to face. If you are passed through to last interview it will be with the area president.

Interview Questions
    • What type of leadrship style do you have?
      How well can you adapt to change?
      What past experiences do you have that qualify you to lead?
      How do you feel about customer service?
      What would your past leaders say about you?
      How were your past numbers (shrink, sales,etc)
      How do n you handle confrontation?
      Expect a series of situational questions.

Answer Question

Harris Teeter Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rocky Mount, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rocky Mount, NC

I applied online – interviewed at Harris Teeter.

One interview, process in total took about 2-3 weeks for interview, drug test and background check. No over the top questions, just the basics. It was a pretty straight forward process, only real problem were the test after actually being hired, they're actually quite difficult but if you have a good memory you'll be fine. if u can in your interview ask about training and if it's okay to take notes while watching the videos

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever been in a difficult situation? how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    none

Barista Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Harris Teeter.

The interview process was fairly simple. No unexpected questions. "Why do you want to work here?" "What is you best/worst quality?" etc. The only issue I have is that I was guaranteed the job and when I called back the manager told me she over employed her store and didn't have enough room. To me that was a bit unprofessional. I turned down other positions for that job and she didn't let me know before hand.

Interview Questions
    • "You're very proficient at answering tough questions. Do you go to many interviews?"   Answer Question

Harris Teeter Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Harris Teeter.

It took three weeks all the process took 4 weeks. Applied on line then received confirmation email from Harris teeter human resource Telling me that they received my application and is being reviewed . Two weeks later they called me for face to face interview.

Produce Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Mill, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Mill, SC

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Harris Teeter in January 2015.

Received a phone call to set up an interview time. Went in the next and talked with the department manager. Was very brief and to the point wanted to know prior experience. Also took a drug test immediately after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • What was your prior produce experience?   View Answer

Office Assistant and Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Williamsburg, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Williamsburg, VA

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Harris Teeter in January 2015.

I applied through the Snag-a-job website which directed me to Harris Teeter's website to do the online application. I received a call from someone with Snag-a-job to set up an interview in the Williamsburg, VA store. When I arrived for my interview, I found that it was a mass interview process - management was holding interviews all day and bringing in a bunch of people. Recruiters and managers were taking turns performing a basic "getting to know you" interview - asking why you want to work for the company, a little about your previous work history, etc. We were then taken into an office where we had to do an oral drug test which would have to be sent off to be done. I was told that they would have to wait for the results to come back before they would bring people back for second, more personal interviews IF they choose too. The waiting time could be 1 to 2 weeks,

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any difficult questions. Just basic ones   Answer Question

Department Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Harris Teeter.

Fairly simple and to the point although took a long time. Interview questions were relevant and not too in depth. final interview is with district manager, still relevant and to the point. The hiring process is also pretty fundamental but they do feed you a lot of corporate BS about customer service "give them the pickle" and a lot of hoorah stuff.

simple

Assistant Customer Service Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Harris Teeter.

Still apart of process (will update upon completion). Applied online via Snag-a-job for position in Greenville, NC store in mid-late October 2014, received call from recruiter about a month later (which means for assistant manager postions and above, do not feel discouraged from lack of phone call right away).

Met with talent recruiter in Goldsboro, NC (meeting point was mid-way between our locations). She was very friendly. Interview took about 35-45 minutes, nice portion of which was spent on general conversation. She did have a list of interview questions. I know every interviewer does to use as a guideline, however, only two or three interview style questions were asked of me. Topics covered were:

Recent Employment History
    Experience/Example of working with a needy (her word, not mine) customer
    Experience/Example of great received customer service
    Assessment of Interview results and discussion of option (if hired) moving forward

Very simple and fairly easy. There were many other interview style questions she could have asked and that were on her list, however, as you can see she barely scratched the surface. While it's early, I do believe this is a good sign that through my demeanor and the way I answered what questions she did have and interacted with her, she found all the right things she was looking for.

This is my second grocery related interview and my 4th overall and each time I was either hired on the spot or indicated secured employment. Through my experiences, particularly with grocery stores and this interview, is that hammering in and displaying a passion for customer service is the most important thing they seek. It can get you the job right then and there and you not even know it, trust me. Harris Teeter especially (regardless of how some may feel about this) truly does seek to hire employees with exceptional customer service standards, as they feel this is something that can't be taught, but has to be in you.

So if you do not have this in you, my suggestion would be to research what customer service is, learn the different aspects, research interview questions, and practice answering each question in a way that brings forth some kind of customer service attribute to light. Also, understand that every interview is different, and that preparation is key. I have always gotten the job for every interview I've had. I say that not to boast, but to stress the importance and value in preparation. Without it, I wouldn't have had the wonderful opportunities I've had.

At this current point, I am awaiting contact from my recruiter so that I may continue forward and meet with my future District Manager. My previous work experience in grocery retail was in the customer service department as an assistant manager but from a much smaller store with FAR less volume. This was my recruiter's only concern, not due to her lack in faith of my capabilities, but to ensure I get placed in the best position to succeed. She herself came up with the remedy of me possibly becoming an assistant manager in a smaller department (Dairy/Frozen) so that I may be hired but I won't have to be loaded with so much right off the bat in the customer service department (which is CONSIDERABLY larger). I take this as a sign that I will eventually be hired (after all, if she didn't want to hire me, she wouldn't have suggested alternative assistant-manager positions) and this shows that if you present yourself well and, again, drive-home your passion for customer service, you'll give yourself more of an opportunity for employment.

Interview Questions
    • My questions were fairly simple. None were difficult at all and the most basic among interview questions. But I understand that this may not be a typical interview example.   Answer Question
    As noted, I am still in the process.

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Harris Teeter in December 2014.

I filled out an online application and received a call about 2 days later. The woman who called asked me to explain my role at previous jobs, then invited me to come in for an interview the upcoming Monday.(3 days later) The day of my interview I wore causal business clothing. (slacks and a nice top) When I got there I sat with 2 other interviewees. After waiting for my name to be called, I was finally greeted by one of the hiring managers. During the interview I was asked "Explain a time you went above and beyond for a customer?", "Define customer service", and "Why Harris Teeter?" We then went on to discuss my availability. I was then offered the job.I signed my job offer and background check forms, I also had to do a saliva drug test as well. (sitting there with a sponge under your tongue until the stick turns blue) I was told that I would receive a call back once everything came back. They called me about a week and a half later. I then started my online training(very long...but needed!) I originally applied for the overnight stock clerk position, but they thought being a cashier was a better fit for me, which I agree with.

There wasn't any negotiation, was offered $10.00

Customer Service Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Harris Teeter in December 2014.

I interviewed at Harris Teeter for the customer service clerk position and got the job on the spot. Interview was short and more like a casual conversation than an interview. I wasn't asked any particular questions by the manager , but I was very enthusiastic and volunteered a lot of information about myself and my work experience. He offered me the position, and said I would be trained as a cashier(paid $ 8.70 an hour) first and then moved to the customer service desk. I was given an oral drug test called quantisal which is a sponge that you hold in your mouth for several minutes. He said the results of the drug test and background check would be back in a week or so and then they would call me to start training.