Harris Teeter

Updated Dec 21, 2014
Updated Dec 21, 2014

1.9

Department Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Harris Teeter.

Fairly simple and to the point although took a long time. Interview questions were relevant and not too in depth. final interview is with district manager, still relevant and to the point. The hiring process is also pretty fundamental but they do feed you a lot of corporate BS about customer service "give them the pickle" and a lot of hoorah stuff.

simple

Assistant Customer Service Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Harris Teeter.

Still apart of process (will update upon completion). Applied online via Snag-a-job for position in Greenville, NC store in mid-late October 2014, received call from recruiter about a month later (which means for assistant manager postions and above, do not feel discouraged from lack of phone call right away).

Met with talent recruiter in Goldsboro, NC (meeting point was mid-way between our locations). She was very friendly. Interview took about 35-45 minutes, nice portion of which was spent on general conversation. She did have a list of interview questions. I know every interviewer does to use as a guideline, however, only two or three interview style questions were asked of me. Topics covered were:

Recent Employment History
    Experience/Example of working with a needy (her word, not mine) customer
    Experience/Example of great received customer service
    Assessment of Interview results and discussion of option (if hired) moving forward

Very simple and fairly easy. There were many other interview style questions she could have asked and that were on her list, however, as you can see she barely scratched the surface. While it's early, I do believe this is a good sign that through my demeanor and the way I answered what questions she did have and interacted with her, she found all the right things she was looking for.

This is my second grocery related interview and my 4th overall and each time I was either hired on the spot or indicated secured employment. Through my experiences, particularly with grocery stores and this interview, is that hammering in and displaying a passion for customer service is the most important thing they seek. It can get you the job right then and there and you not even know it, trust me. Harris Teeter especially (regardless of how some may feel about this) truly does seek to hire employees with exceptional customer service standards, as they feel this is something that can't be taught, but has to be in you.

So if you do not have this in you, my suggestion would be to research what customer service is, learn the different aspects, research interview questions, and practice answering each question in a way that brings forth some kind of customer service attribute to light. Also, understand that every interview is different, and that preparation is key. I have always gotten the job for every interview I've had. I say that not to boast, but to stress the importance and value in preparation. Without it, I wouldn't have had the wonderful opportunities I've had.

At this current point, I am awaiting contact from my recruiter so that I may continue forward and meet with my future District Manager. My previous work experience in grocery retail was in the customer service department as an assistant manager but from a much smaller store with FAR less volume. This was my recruiter's only concern, not due to her lack in faith of my capabilities, but to ensure I get placed in the best position to succeed. She herself came up with the remedy of me possibly becoming an assistant manager in a smaller department (Dairy/Frozen) so that I may be hired but I won't have to be loaded with so much right off the bat in the customer service department (which is CONSIDERABLY larger). I take this as a sign that I will eventually be hired (after all, if she didn't want to hire me, she wouldn't have suggested alternative assistant-manager positions) and this shows that if you present yourself well and, again, drive-home your passion for customer service, you'll give yourself more of an opportunity for employment.

Interview Questions
    • My questions were fairly simple. None were difficult at all and the most basic among interview questions. But I understand that this may not be a typical interview example.   Answer Question
    As noted, I am still in the process.

Customer Service Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Harris Teeter in December 2014.

I interviewed at Harris Teeter for the customer service clerk position and got the job on the spot. Interview was short and more like a casual conversation than an interview. I wasn't asked any particular questions by the manager , but I was very enthusiastic and volunteered a lot of information about myself and my work experience. He offered me the position, and said I would be trained as a cashier(paid $ 8.70 an hour) first and then moved to the customer service desk. I was given an oral drug test called quantisal which is a sponge that you hold in your mouth for several minutes. He said the results of the drug test and background check would be back in a week or so and then they would call me to start training.

Produce Clerk Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Harris Teeter.

I applied online, the store manager called me a few days later to set up an interview. The interview was easy, she mainly asked about my past employment, and also asked where do you see yourself in 5 years. She also made me do a drug test ( mouth swab). After that she told me the drug test results/background check will take a week.

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Harris Teeter.

easy - went in and was hired the day of. had to go thru a drug test. had to do a bunch of online trainings after that which were pretty tiresome.

Harris Teeter Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Harris Teeter in October 2014.

I started my application process online and then had to wait about 2 weeks for anyone to contact me. I was scheduled to have a phone interview but when the guy called me, he said he wanted me to come in for a face-to-face interview instead. The interview lasted about 2 minutes. I had prepared for the worst and was surprised that they didn't ask me...well, anything! They just asked what position I was applying for and then told me I was hired. I guess they are really desperate for employees at the moment. I had to take a drug test and then wait for the results to come back. They told me it would only take a week. It took 2 weeks. I started my onboarding and training. I am currently doing my hands-on training and can't believe how thorough the training is. I thought I was applying to an easy part time job and now I've been stuck doing this intense training program for over a week (I go in 5 days a week for at least 4 hours!!) It's been stressful, but I hope it's worth it. I do have to say the people I am working with and the people in charge of my interview(s) are absolutely amazing! They've truly made me feel like a part of the Harris Teeter family!

Interview Questions
    • Like I said...they didn't ask me anything apart from what job I was applying for and a little bit about where I'm from (I'm not originally from NC)   Answer Question

Fresh Foods Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Holly Springs, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Holly Springs, NC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Harris Teeter in October 2014.

Initially I applied for another position and declined because the pay rate was too low for my experience level. I had a great interview with the other store but it was during a job fair which for some is intimidating. I forgot I applied for other postions but didn't expect to get a call back for any so soon. A week later I got a call for another postions. I got a call sun and interviewed 3 hours later. Got a job offer this morning. The interview was very relaxed and quick.

No negotiating

Harris Teeter Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Harris Teeter.

The interview process was very simple. You go in a room with a group of selected individuals and you answer as series of questions. Some questions were serious, others weren't.

There wasn't any.

Pharmacist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Harris Teeter.

Applied online. I was contacted by a pharmacy recruiter 2 days later. I had an initial informal interview with the recruiter. She then set me up with the district manager for a 1:1 in person interview. The recruiter followed up with me a week later

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online – interviewed at Harris Teeter in September 2014.

They called to set interview for 3 days away in FoxChase King St location. Interview had about 7 questions. Then I was told she liked me and was I willing to take a drug test. I said yes. She got out a mouth-swab and begin to test. Said will call back in 4-5 days if I passed along with the criminal background check. I got a call 1 week later with an offer!

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want this job? Have you been in a situation where your co-workers where hostile and how did you handle it ?   View Answer
    Asked will I accept the rate of pay and the title of position and will I accept the hours they thought were best for me (ft/pt)