Harris Teeter

Updated Jan 28, 2015
Updated Jan 28, 2015

1.9

Customer Service Clerk Interview

The process took a weekinterviewed at Harris Teeter in April 2010.

Online application, very intense to say the least, was called in for an interview within two days.They were very interested in customer service, Then after the interview and tests they said they would call me about a drug tests.

Interview Questions

Recieved a better offer from my next interview.

Grocery/Stocking Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Bern, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Bern, NC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Harris Teeter in February 2010.

The online test was very tedious. It asked everything from simple checkout to your personal business philosophy. It is very obvious that this company takes customer service seriously. On the day of the actual interview, I was called to come in the afternoon. When i walked into the building the employees were very polite and kind. Felt like a good place to work. A couple minutes later I was escorted upstairs into an interview room. The interviewer asked about my customer service experience first thing. Then asked what my stocking rate was. He told me he was really looking for someone who could really put stock. Then he asked about my associations from within the company. After that he told me that they really didn't have a position open but he would run a background check and that he would keep in touch. He was talking on a cell phone at the time. Now I would like to make a note, that he kept talking on his personal phone during this interview and left twice to deal with work and personal "off work" issues.

Interview Questions
    • So you know one of our managers from another store?   View Answer

I was surprised that they didn't run a background check before the interview? He made me feel that I had the position, made me sign a paper, and sent me out the door? Felt blind sided?

Loader Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Harris Teeter in March 2010.

online application was fairly easy. waited weeks for a response. felt very at ease. don't know why i was not hired.

Baker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Holly Springs, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Holly Springs, NC

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Harris Teeter in November 2008.

First they introduced my to a manager that had a grasp of the human language,and moral fiber.
    after they snookered enough folks in to actually run the store "properly staffed" they started funneling in ever mothers,uncle's halfbrained road kill drop outs unwed sister's pet snake in.
    Then they dropped or kicked out (most walked out) anyone who knew the true value of customer relations.

Applied for Cake Decorator, Offered Third Shift Uscan Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Harris Teeter in June 2009.

I walked in and handed in my application to be a Cake Decorator to the CSM, and a few days later I got a phone call to come in for an interview. I had prepped for the interview and was ready with great answers about how customer service is my specialty, why I'm great at what I do, blah blah... well, I was blindsided with questions in the opposite direction: "Tell me about a time you couldn't satisfy a customer." "How would you deal with difficult customers?" After stumbling through the interview, he said with a sigh that they were hiring for cashiers, uscan cashiers, particularly ones who could work 3rd shift. They were flexible with my hours and hired me even though I was 5 months pregnant at the time! I thought that was an admirable thing to do- because after 3 months, I'd be out for at least that long, then who knows if I would have come back! This guy (my boss) ended up being a really nice guy who was very accomodating. Unfortunately talent gets moved around a lot, so I soon had a nw CSM who wasn't so great.

Interview was followed by a drug test and background check, totalling about a week to 10 days. Then I reported to work for computer training. Maybe 4 four hour days taking computer modlues and exams? Then I got to go to the floor to be trained properly.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you were unable to satisfy a customer.   Answer Question
    • Tell me how you would deal with someone who is angry.   Answer Question
    I was young and dumb. I put $8-12 on my application, and he offered $8, and I took it. I needed a job immediately, but I should have negotiated wages more agressively.

Meat Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Harris Teeter in August 2010.

I was interviewed by the hiring manager, he really focused on the negative aspects of the job I would be taking (cold environment, physically demanding, wet environment) to make sure I wouldn't have a problem with it. He also asked me why I wanted to work in the Meat Department.

I was then taken on a tour of the department by the head of the department, and he walked me through what would be expected of me if hired.

I was called back two days later to fill out information for a background check. After the background check came back, I had to take a drug test. After that came back, I was hired.

Stocker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warrenton, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warrenton, VA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Harris Teeter in December 2011.

Fairly simple

none They told me the wage I would be paid

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Harris Teeter in February 2012.

The hiring process was quick, just answer 5 questions then I have been asked to donate saliva for the drug test. Then 3 days later, they called me for orientation

No negotiation

Any Available Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Harris Teeter in November 2011.

You apply then wait,then get a phone call for an intwrview,get interviewed,wait,get called again for another interview while in the meantime there is a background check.get called when you pass/fail background check.If you pass background check,then you get called in for drug test,wait for results of that then FINALLY get called in to start paperwork..all in all about a week wasted before you actually start anything.

Interview Questions
    • What can you bring to the Harris Teeter family?   View Answer
    It was c ut and dry...here's what they offer,take it or leave it.I would telll others that only if you are desperate for a job like I was would I take it.

Customer Service Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Harris Teeter.

For Managers it seems the company cares about putting the right people in position to succeed

Pleasant