Harris Teeter Produce Clerk Interview Questions

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Produce Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Wake Forest, NC
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wake Forest, NC

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Harris Teeter.

Filled out profile on www.harristeeter.com and then called into store trying to catch up with store "Hiring Manager"; got store manager on second call and he asked if he could help knowing I was asking for the Hiring Manager. I said I was interested in applying with HT and he immediately started telling me he was going to fire current employee in the Produce Dept. Thought this was a little unprofessional as he really didn't know me at all. I went through a brief bio of my work history and he asked if I could come in for an interview asap. Went in next morning for supposed interview. Wasn't really an interview just a this is a part time job, there is no future for you at HT as it takes years to advance - you have a lot of management experience I don't need anyone coming in here highlighting whats wrong with our companies policies and procedures. My reply to this was, "if you don't pay me for my advice I won't give it!" Then he asks me to sign off on a criminal background check. Call back three days later and says you passed the background check can you come in for the drug test? Showed up next day and was given a drug test; saliva mouth swab. This was in office with door open and sitting in front of open door within full view of customers in check out line. Also three different employees at different times walked in the office to talk with Store Manager during procedure. (I later called the NC Dept of Labor Wage and Hour Division as thy administer investigations on violations of drug testing - this didn't meet minimum standard of first sentence of drug testing law by employers to "respect the dignity of the prospective employe being administered the drug test". It needs to be done in privacy with no other employees walking in to BS - nor should it be done in the doorway of an office in full view of customers!

Passed drug test manager called left message about making an offer. I called back and was told you need to come in and we can do the paperwork to get started with training and do a schedule. I say, "you mentioned a job offer in the message you left that usually includes salary, position title and hours expected." Was told, "I can start you at $8.50." My reply was, "that's a little lite." He immediately says, "I can go up to $9.00 an hour." I say, "I'll consider it and call you back tomorrow morning." Next morning I call back and say, "as Harris Teeter has an extensive application process including asking what one's salary expectations are and I put down $10.00 an hour and you're at $9.00 an hour." And I then shut up to see what the store manager's reaction would be, "he said ok and hung up."

Overall, I think I understand his position as this one store is probably the single lowest performing store in the district and the only thing he can do as a manager is watch his expenses but that doesn't change how you deal with people. A manager shouldn't talk about firing a current employee with someone on the phone especially if it's the first time you've ever talked with this person and you really don't know them.

Interview Questions
  • There were no questions asked at all. I was told my resume and experience looked great.   Answer Question

I'm worth more than this manager offered.

Worked for Harris Teeter? Contribute to the Community!