Harris Teeter

1.8

15 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Harris Teeter Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Harris Teeter in October 2014.

I started my application process online and then had to wait about 2 weeks for anyone to contact me. I was scheduled to have a phone interview but when the guy called me, he said he wanted me to come in for a face-to-face interview instead. The interview lasted about 2 minutes. I had prepared for the worst and was surprised that they didn't ask me...well, anything! They just asked what position I was applying for and then told me I was hired. I guess they are really desperate for employees at the moment. I had to take a drug test and then wait for the results to come back. They told me it would only take a week. It took 2 weeks. I started my onboarding and training. I am currently doing my hands-on training and can't believe how thorough the training is. I thought I was applying to an easy part time job and now I've been stuck doing this intense training program for over a week (I go in 5 days a week for at least 4 hours!!) It's been stressful, but I hope it's worth it. I do have to say the people I am working with and the people in charge of my interview(s) are absolutely amazing! They've truly made me feel like a part of the Harris Teeter family!

Interview Questions
    • Like I said...they didn't ask me anything apart from what job I was applying for and a little bit about where I'm from (I'm not originally from NC)   Answer Question

Fresh Foods Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Holly Springs, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Holly Springs, NC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Harris Teeter in October 2014.

Initially I applied for another position and declined because the pay rate was too low for my experience level. I had a great interview with the other store but it was during a job fair which for some is intimidating. I forgot I applied for other postions but didn't expect to get a call back for any so soon. A week later I got a call for another postions. I got a call sun and interviewed 3 hours later. Got a job offer this morning. The interview was very relaxed and quick.

No negotiating

Harris Teeter Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Harris Teeter in September 2014.

I applied online and was called in for an interview two days later. The interview was very relaxed, the questions were easy, but still dress formally. After a background check and a drug test, five days later I started my training.

Interview Questions
    If you have no previous job experience, you have little room to negotiate. Pay will most likely be above minimum wage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Harris Teeter in September 2014.

I applied to the position of Cashier at a new store being built in Cary, NC. After about 2 or 3 weeks, I received an email inviting me to a job fair to interview for the position. Attended the job fair about 2 weeks later and interviewed with another Harris Teeter store manager. The interview was fairly short, I must say. The bulk of the interview was just talking about what would be happening in the next couple of months with the new store. After the interview, I took a drug test and signed for a background check, both of which would take about a week to go through.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions at all. Since this is my first job, most of the questions were about my availability, extracurricular activities, and just school in general   Answer Question

Vendor Receiver/Scan Coordinator Backup Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Harris Teeter.

I applied online in 2007. I had no retail experience. A few days later they called me in for a interview. The interview questions were basic questions to get a feel for what your character and personalities are like. After the person to person interview with the CO-Manager I was given a online test of 25 or so multiple choice questions. These questions are aim to see if you are a fit for Harris Teeter. I remember one of the questions was something in the line of "if you saw a co-worker stealing, would you report them". The obvious answer is yes.

Interview Questions
    I needed a job, so I took whatever was offered.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Harris Teeter in June 2014.

After about four (long and worrisome) weeks since I submitted my online application, I was invited to a phone interview. During the phone interview, I got scheduled for a face to face interview. They had an interview fair at a larger Harris Teeter in the area (not at the store where I was planning on working). All the applicants were dressed up and the people I saw being interviewed looked 16-25 years old. When an interviewer was ready, I sat down at a table across from him. He made me feel very comfortable and asked me about myself and my work experience. I went into a room to get a drug test and when I was done, they let me go and told me that I should be contacted in the next two weeks by my store manager. It was easy! Good luck. So far Harris Teeter is great! I'm excited to send the rest of my summer break working here.

Interview Questions
    • They only asked me the two things above... It was harder to speak in general about myself because I had no guidelines on what to say. It was very lax.   Answer Question

Fresh Foods Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Harris Teeter in February 2014.

Interview, drug test job. They actually take a couple of weeks and about twenty online tests to ascertain whether you have what it takes to be able to impale a raw chicken on a skewer repeatedly, so that the rotisserie chickens can spin around at high heat to sate the ravenous appetities of local college patrons.

Take it or leave it

Fresh Foods Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Harris Teeter.

Hiring and Interviewing for management is handled by the HR department, you have an initial interview and then meet with a district manager or ops manager. This is outside of the store setting so it is hard to get a feel of how your store manager or facility will feel. Interview process is straight forward, meeting with several people, district manager, department specialist, and HR.

Interview Questions
    • Make sure you know your strengths and weaknesses and how to handle difficult situations between associates and management.   Answer Question
    Depending on experience Harris Teeter is very competitive, but will try and get you on the low end if possible.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Harris Teeter in March 2013.

1 initial interview, included: describing your self, your work experience, your motivation, why you have what it takes to work as a associate of harris teeter. Then you come back for a saliva drug test done at the store. (a sponge is placed in your mouth for about 5 minutes until it collects enough saliva. Then it is Fed-Ex'd to a testing place for review.)

Interview Questions
    There was none. It was based off of experience.

Produce Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wake Forest, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wake Forest, NC

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Harris Teeter.

Filled out profile on www.harristeeter.com and then called into store trying to catch up with store "Hiring Manager"; got store manager on second call and he asked if he could help knowing I was asking for the Hiring Manager. I said I was interested in applying with HT and he immediately started telling me he was going to fire current employee in the Produce Dept. Thought this was a little unprofessional as he really didn't know me at all. I went through a brief bio of my work history and he asked if I could come in for an interview asap. Went in next morning for supposed interview. Wasn't really an interview just a this is a part time job, there is no future for you at HT as it takes years to advance - you have a lot of management experience I don't need anyone coming in here highlighting whats wrong with our companies policies and procedures. My reply to this was, "if you don't pay me for my advice I won't give it!" Then he asks me to sign off on a criminal background check. Call back three days later and says you passed the background check can you come in for the drug test? Showed up next day and was given a drug test; saliva mouth swab. This was in office with door open and sitting in front of open door within full view of customers in check out line. Also three different employees at different times walked in the office to talk with Store Manager during procedure. (I later called the NC Dept of Labor Wage and Hour Division as thy administer investigations on violations of drug testing - this didn't meet minimum standard of first sentence of drug testing law by employers to "respect the dignity of the prospective employe being administered the drug test". It needs to be done in privacy with no other employees walking in to BS - nor should it be done in the doorway of an office in full view of customers!

Passed drug test manager called left message about making an offer. I called back and was told you need to come in and we can do the paperwork to get started with training and do a schedule. I say, "you mentioned a job offer in the message you left that usually includes salary, position title and hours expected." Was told, "I can start you at $8.50." My reply was, "that's a little lite." He immediately says, "I can go up to $9.00 an hour." I say, "I'll consider it and call you back tomorrow morning." Next morning I call back and say, "as Harris Teeter has an extensive application process including asking what one's salary expectations are and I put down $10.00 an hour and you're at $9.00 an hour." And I then shut up to see what the store manager's reaction would be, "he said ok and hung up."

Overall, I think I understand his position as this one store is probably the single lowest performing store in the district and the only thing he can do as a manager is watch his expenses but that doesn't change how you deal with people. A manager shouldn't talk about firing a current employee with someone on the phone especially if it's the first time you've ever talked with this person and you really don't know them.

Interview Questions
    • There were no questions asked at all. I was told my resume and experience looked great.   Answer Question

I'm worth more than this manager offered.