Harris Williams

Average Difficulty
15 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Harris Williams in January 2014.

Interview Details – There was one interview on campus for the Summer Bootcamp position. The interviewers were all really nice and comforting but their expectations were high. I wasn't really sure what to expect but they created a relaxed atmosphere. Typical questions like why Harris Williams and why you are interested in the middle market.

Interview Question – Everything was pretty straightforward and expected.   Answer Question

Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Harris Williams in October 2013.

Interview Details – Contact through information session and social hour events organized by on campus recruiting. Applied through University's career center after events and gained on campus interview a week later. Communication was made mainly through e-mail from current IBA in addition to corporate recruiter in company headquarters. All questions answered within 24 hours. Friendly and energetic individuals. Be prepared to answer technicals at any time.

Interview Question – Behavioral questions mainly for cultural fit. They shared past experiences as well. Typical technical questions about financial statements, walk me through a DCF, why would a company purchase a competitor in a market they don't have a presence in.   View Answer

Interviewed at Harris Williams

Interview Details – They had an information session on campus followed by a social later in the night. Those who networked successfully were invited to first-round interviews a week later. Successful candidates had a second-round phone interview for their preferred office location. If that went well, they flew you out to your respective office for 30-minute interviews with most of the MDs, VPs, and associates. We also had lunch with the analysts.

Interview Question – They gave you an hour to complete a discounted cash flow analysis on Excel. You needed to fill in missing spaces on the financial statements, so a decent knowledge of accounting was necessary. Otherwise, it was pretty basic.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate
San Francisco, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Harris Williams in October 2011.

Interview Details – The associate interviews for MBA recruits begins with an initial on campus 1:1 interview with an associate (usually an alumni). Basic finance and accounting questions that you get for banking interviews. 2nd round occurs onsite with several rounds of interviews with mostly associates and VPs. Again, basic accounting and finance questions with some behavioral.

Interview Question – not that difficult but: two companies have the exact same EBITDA multiples but have differing PE multiples. Why might this be the case   View Answer

Richmond, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Harris Williams in September 2011.

Interview Details – I went to their info session and applied with my resume via my university's career site. I received an invitation to interview on campus. The night before there was a pre-interview reception at a local restaurant which I attended. The interview was mostly fit questions but had a few easy technical questions, mostly about accounting and about mergers and acquisitions. The culture was very laid back during the recruitment process and I genuinely enjoyed talking to all the employees I met. The only downside is that the firm seemed very set on recruiting southerners so if you do not come from that background it could be tough to land an offer.

Interview Question – A high end headphone company approaches your firm wishing to sell itself. What other companies would you approach to buy?   View Answer

Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Harris Williams in August 2011.

Interview Details – Consisted of two initial phone interviews, one was a recruiter screen and another with an Analyst. After those two interviews I was invited to interview in the office where the opening was.

Office interviews consisted of 1:1 and 2:1. They were really focused on fit, but there were a few technical questions as well. Ultimately did not receive an offer.

Interview Question – This role involves a lot of uncreative work, do you think you could handle that?   Answer Question

Business Development Analyst Interview

Business Development Analyst
Cleveland, OH

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Harris Williams in December 2010.

Interview Details – The first portion is a phone screen with a member of recruiting team from HR. Just basic questions here. The next stage was a phone interview with a VP from another office. Pretty basic questions no technical mostly interested in why harris Williams, Why Middle Market, and Why Business Development. The final stage was an in person interview with an associate and MD. The interview was very casual. It was pretty much just a discussion of why I want the job and what the job entails. There were really no "standard" interview questions. No technical or fit questions just a very casual discussion. I didn't get the offer they allegedly went with someone who had prior experience in Corp Development. I think the real reason is the MD and I didn't really connect.

Interview Question – Why Harris Williams?   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Harris Williams in June 2010.

Interview Details – I first had a phone interview with an analyst. Very straight forward. Asked me about my resume and my internship experiences. He then he asked me some accounting questions. Then I got invited for dinner and a final round interview in Boston, MA. It was basically very similar to the phone interview, but I had six 30 min interview with questions ranging from accounting, to fit, to a mini case.

Interview Question – Your client owns a parking meter company in Boston. What kind of companies would be interested in the client?   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Harris Williams in September 2009.

Interview Details – We basically just went over my resume. We spoke about the different areas on my resume and the interviewer asked for past exam scores and course grades. There were NO technical questions in the first round. The interviewer left time for me to ask questions about the firm. It only lasted about 40 minutes. It was very relaxed as well.

Interview Question – What kind of leader are you?   View Answer

Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Harris Williams.

Interview Details – Interview process was overall pretty positive. The cocktail reception the night before the interview lightened the mood the next day. Interviewers were very friendly, and made no effort to intimidate. Asked basic questions about valuation. Interviewees should be able to explain multiples, trading comps, and transaction comps. Should also know DCFs and CAPM inside and out.

Interview Question – Interviewers created a hypothetical scenario where a client was looking to sell its self. Asked what sort of companies should be looked at to acquire the company. Interviewees should be able to cite examples of vertical and horizontal integration as well as one "outside of the box" example.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Harris Williams

Worked for Harris Williams? Contribute to the Community!