Harris Williams & Co. Interview Questions

2.9

Interviews for Top Jobs at Harris Williams & Co.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Harris Williams & Co. (Raleigh, NC).

Interview

It started through campus recruiting. The people at their information session were very personable and the atmosphere was very laid-back. I submitted my resume and cover letter online and received an on-campus interview within a week.

Interview Questions

• They asked me how I would sell (and value) an apple tree and what that thought process would look like.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Harris Williams & Co. (Richmond, VA) in January 2014.

Interview

There was one interview on campus for the Summer Bootcamp position. The interviewers were all really nice and comforting but their expectations were high. I wasn't really sure what to expect but they created a relaxed atmosphere. Typical questions like why Harris Williams and why you are interested in the middle market.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Harris Williams & Co. (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2013.

Interview

Contact through information session and social hour events organized by on campus recruiting. Applied through University's career center after events and gained on campus interview a week later. Communication was made mainly through e-mail from current IBA in addition to corporate recruiter in company headquarters. All questions answered within 24 hours. Friendly and energetic individuals. Be prepared to answer technicals at any time.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions mainly for cultural fit. They shared past experiences as well. Typical technical questions about financial statements, walk me through a DCF, why would a company purchase a competitor in a market they don't have a presence in.   1 Answer

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Interview

They had an information session on campus followed by a social later in the night. Those who networked successfully were invited to first-round interviews a week later. Successful candidates had a second-round phone interview for their preferred office location. If that went well, they flew you out to your respective office for 30-minute interviews with most of the MDs, VPs, and associates. We also had lunch with the analysts.

Interview Questions

• They gave you an hour to complete a discounted cash flow analysis on Excel. You needed to fill in missing spaces on the financial statements, so a decent knowledge of accounting was necessary. Otherwise, it was pretty basic.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Harris Williams & Co. in January 2012.

Interview

Applied to through campus recruiting. Got selected, and interviewed at my university. Pretty straightforward investment banking interview. Basic questions included: "Walk me thorough your resume", and "How would you value a company". They usually respond to candidates very quickly. Found out later that week that I was not selected for a superday, but did receive some great feedback.

Interview Questions

• What buyers would you sell a pen manufacturing company to?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Harris Williams & Co. (San Francisco, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

The associate interviews for MBA recruits begins with an initial on campus 1:1 interview with an associate (usually an alumni). Basic finance and accounting questions that you get for banking interviews. 2nd round occurs onsite with several rounds of interviews with mostly associates and VPs. Again, basic accounting and finance questions with some behavioral.

Interview Questions

• not that difficult but: two companies have the exact same EBITDA multiples but have differing PE multiples. Why might this be the case   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Harris Williams & Co. (Richmond, VA) in September 2011.

Interview

I went to their info session and applied with my resume via my university's career site. I received an invitation to interview on campus. The night before there was a pre-interview reception at a local restaurant which I attended. The interview was mostly fit questions but had a few easy technical questions, mostly about accounting and about mergers and acquisitions. The culture was very laid back during the recruitment process and I genuinely enjoyed talking to all the employees I met. The only downside is that the firm seemed very set on recruiting southerners so if you do not come from that background it could be tough to land an offer.

Interview Questions

• A high end headphone company approaches your firm wishing to sell itself. What other companies would you approach to buy?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Harris Williams & Co. (Boston, MA) in August 2011.

Interview

Consisted of two initial phone interviews, one was a recruiter screen and another with an Analyst. After those two interviews I was invited to interview in the office where the opening was. Office interviews consisted of 1:1 and 2:1. They were really focused on fit, but there were a few technical questions as well. Ultimately did not receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• This role involves a lot of uncreative work, do you think you could handle that?   Answer Question

Business Development Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Harris Williams & Co. (Cleveland, OH) in December 2010.

Interview

The first portion is a phone screen with a member of recruiting team from HR. Just basic questions here. The next stage was a phone interview with a VP from another office. Pretty basic questions no technical mostly interested in why harris Williams, Why Middle Market, and Why Business Development. The final stage was an in person interview with an associate and MD. The interview was very casual. It was pretty much just a discussion of why I want the job and what the job entails. There were really no "standard" interview questions. No technical or fit questions just a very casual discussion. I didn't get the offer they allegedly went with someone who had prior experience in Corp Development. I think the real reason is the MD and I didn't really connect.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Harris Williams & Co. (Boston, MA) in June 2010.

Interview

I first had a phone interview with an analyst. Very straight forward. Asked me about my resume and my internship experiences. He then he asked me some accounting questions. Then I got invited for dinner and a final round interview in Boston, MA. It was basically very similar to the phone interview, but I had six 30 min interview with questions ranging from accounting, to fit, to a mini case.

Interview Questions

• Your client owns a parking meter company in Boston. What kind of companies would be interested in the client?   Answer Question