Harrods Interview Questions

Updated Oct 19, 2014

2.4

Corporate Services Accounts Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knightsbridge, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Harrods.

I applied online for the role of Assistant Relationship Manager. After two or three days, I received an email stating I was 'invited' to apply for Harrods temporary administration opportunities via a video interview. I guess they thought I wasn't suitable to the role for which I originally applied.

The video interview was pretty easy- A practice question, followed by 4 questions and 30 seconds to prepare for each question before responding. I went over the time limit on the last question. I did the video interview, then received a phone call a couple days later from a woman in HR saying that my video interview was very good and would I be interested in interviewing for the job of Accounts Assistant in Corporate services. I said yes.

Later in the week, I had a lengthy interview with one of the Sales Managers. He was pleasant, and I thought it went well, but wasn't sure if I did well enough to get the job. I found it at the end of the next week that I did not in fact get the job. No feedback was given.

Interview Questions
    • If offered a different role within Harrods in the future, would you consider changing roles?   View Answer

Temporary Administration Opportunities Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Harrods in October 2014.

The process began with an online application in the company'e website.
    Next day I got an e-mail being invited to send a video interview.
    In the video interview they asked questions about your availability and examples of a moment where you have to reorganised your priorities for the day.
    After I sent the video interview I was asked to complete another round of questions, mostly about the availably and the permit to work in the UK.
    Two days later I got an email saying that for this occasion I was unsuccessful.

Interview Questions
    • Example of when would you have to reorganised your priorities   View Answer

Summer Sale Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Harrods in June 2014.

Telephone interview was very simple and straightforward - asking about relevant experience, why I wanted to work in luxury retail, and if I was interested in working in womenswear. Straight after the interview I got asked to come in for a group interview, which was a week later. The interview took place in their offices in Hammersmith. They ask you to come in full Harrods uniform, so definitely adhere to their style guide which they provide via email. Those I ended up seeing around Harrods from the interview were all the most smartly dressed people - I don't think anyone who wasn't in full uniform got through. They first of all ask you to one-by-one stand up at the front and answer 1) If you had £1000 at Harrods what would you spend it on? 2) Highlight of last year 3) How would you sell a fridge to an eskimo? 4) How would your best friend describe you? After that the group split in two and you had to plan a party on a budget, you can ask the interviewer several questions before you all decide as a group. There's very little opportunity to stand out and little to no opportunity to talk about your relevant experience, so make sure you look confident, but also a "team player" in the group exercise. I heard back two weeks later with an offer and started a week later.

Interview Questions
    • 1) How would you sell a fridge to an eskimo? 2) If you had £1000 at Harrods what would you spend it on?   View Answer
    No room for negotiation with hours/department, since initial phone interview I was to be placed in womenswear, and didn't have a choice over part-time/full-time hours (was given part-time).

Temporary Sales Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knightsbridge, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Harrods in June 2014.

Applied online, then contacted via phone by a recruitment agency asking some basic questions about my availability etc offered me a telephone interview a few days later.
    Again basically a repeat of the first telephone conversation just slightly longer.
    Then invited to an assessment centre and this is where is all went down hill!
    Very poor experience.
    I was first of all sent to the wrong place. They told me to go to their offices in Hammersmith but when I arrived the reception had no clue why I was there and went to find out. A woman came down and spoke to me, was incredibly rude and hostile, basically telling me I was wrong, I showed her the emails to prove I was indeed right, she shuffled off. I was left in reception for 20 minutes before I received a telephone call from the recruitment lady she explained I had been sent the wrong email and should have been at the store in Knightsbridge... She said there was another assessment centre at 11 I could attend. It was already 10.45. She then said there was another at 12 and booked me in before hanging up abruptly without apologising.
    I then travelled to Knightsbridge for the assessment centre, after 10 minutes I realised that the assessment centre wasn't even for the job I had applied for!!! And I had obviously just been sent to it to save themselves. The woman doing the interview had no idea who I was and after I never received an apology or an email saying whether or not I had got the job. My bet is I was simply put down as a no show.
    The actual assessment centre was poor, and as others have stated offered little opportunity for people to express individuality. The woman holding the interview was horrific at best, and couldn't have been more disinterested if she tried. Appalling experience.

Interview Questions
    • What would you buy if you were given £1,000 to spend in Harrods.   Answer Question
    • You have £500 to plan a garden party, choose from the list the appropriate things to buy   Answer Question
    • How would you self an fridge to an Eskimo?   Answer Question

Temporary Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Harrods in May 2014.

A 5 minute telephone interview with some pretty basic questions about why you want to work for Harrods, what experience you have and a time when you have built up rapport with a customer. The assessment day was an hour long and consisted of a presentation, questions and a group task about planning a party. The individual questions were:
    1) if you had £1000 gift voucher for Harrods, what would you spend it on?
    2) how would your best friend describe you?
    3) how would you sell a fridge to an eskimo?
    4) the highlight of the last 12 months for you
    I was quite disappointed with the process overall. They highlighted the fact that they had 7000 applicants for only 150 places yet the phone interview was relatively easy and from what I gathered, they weren't at all selective about who they invited to the assessment centre.
    The assessment centre again, was quite easy and didn't really give anyone a chance to really stand out or differentiate themselves.
    I received an email two days later saying I had passed the assessment centre but was 'on hold' whilst they find a suitable department to match my skill set. I emailed them to ask what this meant exactly and the likeliness of being selected but of course, they haven't replied and after doing some research of my own, have found that they tend to simply leave applicants hanging at this stage. This in my opinion, is completely unprofessional on their behalves and they'd probably save a lot of time and money if they were selective about candidates to begin with.

Interview Questions
    • how would you sell a fridge to an eskimo?   View Answer

Harrods Temporary Summer Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Harrods in April 2014.

I applied online for this Harrods interview where I filled out an online application. Two days later I had an email saying that I'm invited for a Harrods Telephone interview where I booked a slot online. The day of the interview: She called about 5 minutes later than the actual time I booked and asked simple questions about me and how long I could work for (Remember to be bubbly) and then she asked these two main questions: Why do you want to work for Harrods? What experience have you had creating rapports with customers? and that was it! Straight after I got an email saying that I'm invited for a Assessment Centre where I booked my slot online and I was super Happy! Go to the Assessment smartly dressed (shown in the Harrods Dress Code style guide that they send via email) & make sure your face is perfect to lol! It was a Group interview and she informed us all about Harrods and what the job entails. She then did a IceBreaker where all of us had to answer the questions from the board which was: What is your highlight of the last 12 months? What would your bestfriend describe you as? If you had £1,000 gift voucher from Harrods, What would you buy? How would you sell a fridge to an Eskimo? (Be super confident) Then a group task which was based on a woman called Sophie and what items you would buy with her budget of £500 then we had to discuss as a group. It was relatively easy and I enjoyed it!
    I then got an email saying I've got the job but I'm on hold till they get back to me to inform me of what department I will be working in!

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell a fridge to an Eskimo?   View Answer

Transaction Assistant By Appointment/Personal Shopping Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Harrods in March 2014.

Started with an online application which is very quick, straightforward and easy. Was emailed 2 days later with an invite for a video interview which I completed using an iPhone app (laptop broken at the time!). Questions were 1. Why have applied for the position 2. What past or current experiences do I feel would relate to the role 3. Have I ever gone above and beyond to deliver good customer service 4. Describe a situation where I have witnessed or been a part of some issue / conflict within a team and how I resolved it.

A week went by after I sent the video interview before I got a call from a member of the recruitment team. She highlighted specific skills and competences required by the job and asked me for examples of various things such as my communication, experience of dealing with difficult customers, till systems and handling large amounts of money. At the end of the conversation (about 10minutes long call) we scheduled an interview with the line manager two days from the date of the call.

The interview which was supposed to last about half an hour, was over in just about 20 minutes. There were two interviewees and one of them - the actual line manager seemed pretty distracted throughout asking me only 3 questions then speaking at the end to tell me a bit about the organisation. The questions were the same as usual and specifically getting me to do most of the talking. Examples are: 3 things you / your manager would say about you, what are your future plans, when have you gone above and beyond for your team members, when you start a new job how do you break the ice.

I received a call two days after the interview from the same woman from recruitment asking me how I felt the interview went and letting me know that I was well received and had been given a job offer. She also let me know the salary (21k) and that it was full time, and finally we set a start date :)

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you have had an issue with someone - or they you - and how you delay with it   View Answer
    No negotiation salary on offer was fixed and I accepted

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Harrods in March 2014.

The hiring process is pretty quick for harrods. I feel the process is very long though and involves a lot of interviews and time. I had my interview date changed when I'd already arranged cover at my current job, and couldn't change it back because it would look suspicious at my current role. I couldn't make it anyway because of a last minute non-work related issue, and wasn't given a rescheduled interview or contacted back when told I would be.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult customer you have dealt with   View Answer

Press Office Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Harrods in December 2013.

I applied via linked in and heard back from the recruiter the very same day.

I was called in for an initial interview with a member of HR and the PR Manager. This initial round was very straight forward, primarily to do with prior experience and the usual interview competency based questions.

I then had a final round interview which was very challenging with a member of Senior management and two managers.

Intensive questioning and debate, expected very detailed answers.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Harrods in December 2013.

The process started through sumbission of CV and a covering letter online.

The next step was a phone interview, asking me my background like past work experience etc. Then some typical interview quesitons, like when were you given responsibility and why Harrods.

Assessment centre was the third step. This consisted of standing up in front of the room and answering a variety of questions. Best acheivement of my last 12 months, if you were given an Harrods gift vouncher how would you spend it. Selling a fridge to an eskimo.