Harrods

Getting the Interview

7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Harrods in December 2013.

Interview Details – The process started through sumbission of CV and a covering letter online.

The next step was a phone interview, asking me my background like past work experience etc. Then some typical interview quesitons, like when were you given responsibility and why Harrods.

Assessment centre was the third step. This consisted of standing up in front of the room and answering a variety of questions. Best acheivement of my last 12 months, if you were given an Harrods gift vouncher how would you spend it. Selling a fridge to an eskimo.

Interview Question – Selling a fridge to a eskimo   View Answer

Knightsbridge, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Harrods in July 2011.

Interview Details – After sending my application - within a week, I received a call to attend an interview the following week. I wore a simple fitted white blouse with black trousers and a slight heel - advice that dressing smart was a must. The interviewer was very friendly and fortunately did not ask any rigorous questions however I did fail one question miserably. A few days later, I received another call to attend a seperate interview where I shall meet the manager of the department I work at - thankfully, the manager completely forgot about the interview and so the assistant manager then showed me around the interview and informed me that I start on Monday. I do not believe this is a usual occurence however I'd rather wait fifteen minutes to be told I start on Monday then have to nervously sit through another interview.

Interview Question – Give me a time where you went far beyond what is necessary to satisfy a customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Harrods.

Interview Details – First through the website of Harrods Careers, their recruitment process is very efficient. Will send you invitation for video interview which replace the old phone interview, quick and easy process. Then will get a phone call to invite you for an assessment centre visit where you have a face to face interview.

Interview Question – questions were quite predictable, such as why you would like to work at Harrods, what is the most difficult situation you have encountered with a customer etc...   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Harrods in March 2011.

Interview Details – It all started off with me applying online, as that appeared to be the only way to apply to work at Harrods. I got an email within a few days to have a phone interview, which I had passed, and then was required for an in person interview with an HR representative. I passed through that as well and had one final interview with the actual manager of the department. It was all done within 1.5 weeks or so which is good, because some companies take much longer.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult, basic selling questions and asking about times you were in a difficult situation with a customer   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, took what I was offered

London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Harrods in September 2011.

Interview Details – I've been introduced by a friend, got a 1:1 interview with the manager and the next day had a phone interview.

Interview Question – Didn't have any difficult question, just talked about my previous experiences and my personal goals.   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Harrods in October 2011.

Interview Details – Applied Online. Got invitation to phone interview. After successful phone interview got invited to Assessment Centre. After successful Assessment Centre got a phone call inviting to 1:1 Line Manager Interview.

Assessment Centre consists of a role play exercise. You read a passage about a hypothetical wife that wants to spend 500 pounds for an anniversary gift for her husband. You then talk to one of the HR reps and ask questions to get an overall feel for the wife and husband. Then you choose items off a list that would be suitable for her. You then must describe the item to the group and come out with a common group list. The focus here is on communication skills and personality more than what you choose.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Harrods?   View Answer
  • What is exceptional customer service to you?   Answer Question
  • Assessment Centre role playing exercise   Answer Question
  • 1:1 Line Manager interview you get a SWOT Analysis Exercise where you need to go to the department you have applied for and fill in what is working well what you would change etc. and then discuss it with the Line Manager.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Harrods in November 2009.

Interview Details – Interview mainly test your sales skills and your personality.
I.e. how you interact with others.
One part of the interview involves giving you a card with a product picture on it and that you have to "role play" with another candidate and show how you would interact with customers, deal with issues and make a sale.

Interview Question – What do you consider as good customer services   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Harrods? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Harrods Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by Harrods employees and interview candidates.