Harvard Management Company

7 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Investment Analyst Interview

Investment Analyst

I applied online and interviewed at Harvard Management Company.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview. Mostly fit oriented questions about my background and how I could add value to the team. Asked me to run through my background as well as my recent experience and how I thought this would transfer well to the role. The second round is a full day of one on one interviews on site. More fit questions and overview of my skills.

Interview Question – No challenging questions. Really just fit and background questions.   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Harvard Management Company in November 2013.

Interview Details – After submitting my resume, I was invited to their office for a half-day onsite interview. The process consisted of 4-5 consecutive half-hour 1-on-1 interviews. The interviews were mainly about my resume and about my fit with the company. Some of them also asked technical questions about investing and quantitative tools. In general, all of them are very kind and the conversations were encouraging.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected actually. Typical investment-firm questions.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Harvard Management Company.

Interview Details – Found the position via a recruiter which I have worked with for a long time. Phone screen starts the process. Software foundation questions are given - should know basics, and obviously need to be a good communicator.
After passing the phone screen, I was scheduled for an interview. I spend 20 minutes with an HR associate. Usually this is a senior level HR associate who just determines you're not insane, or creepy or crazy. At this point - you've had to discuss the job, and interview with a recruiter, a phone screener, and an HR associate. Now you're ready for the real thing.

At this point - any number of developers, managers, executives can and will interview you. Usually it is peers, or your direct manager (the person to whom you will report) will interview you. This person will probably choose some of your future peers, as well as his executive level manager to interview you. Finally you will be interviewed by the head of IT - a senior level executive. Usually these are the easiest, but this one was a high pressure offensive attack.

Do not waste your time or theirs if you're not qualified for the job. You must bring substantial work ethic and competence to this work place. If you don't, you won't last long if you are even hired.

If after this day of interviews (1x HR, 4x Peers/Managers, 1x Sr. Executive), you may get a call back for a second day of interviews.

The second day of interviews is simple. They may have determined they are on the 'wish to hire' side of the fence. You're basically in the clear. You will meet with secondary level associates - people you'd be working with (not for) and usually people outside your expertise. They won't know your domain knowledge - but they are trying to decide if they want to work with you. Again - it should go without saying - but be a hard worker, and show interest, and you should be all set at this point.

You'll leave this 2nd interview day not knowing anything. You'll then get a call at some point that they have made an offer.

Interview Question – Senior Level Executive's rapid fire question style. He/she will destroy you if you're not prepared, and you will be left feeling embarrassed. Luckily for me, I was not embarrassed, but I could tell this would certainly be the case for others who wouldn't be so lucky.
Again, if you're qualified, then the once you display your talents, and competence, all you have to do is have a good attitude, and show that you have good work ethics - but why wouldn't you have a good attitude and good work ethics. This day and age, I feel I must write this, even though it should go without saying.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Dealt entirely with HR associate as the negotiator. Very simple - accept their offer as this is a great company with top notch benefits.

Analyst Interview

Analyst

Interviewed at Harvard Management Company

Interview Details – 2 hour, rotating interview with multiple people from team

Intern Interview

Intern
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Harvard Management Company in February 2012.

Interview Details – After submitting my resume, I was called to schedule and interview. The process consisted of five consecutive half-hour 2-on-1 interviews at their main offices. The interviews were mainly about my resume and about my fit with the company. It didn't seem that they were trying to trick me or withhold information. I do think that it helped that I had a specific area of the company in mind and that I stated a preference and explained my preference during the interview.

Interview Question – One question was asked about the effects of currency fluctuations. Just work through it slowly and out loud.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No real negotiation.

Applications Developer Interview

Applications Developer
Boston, MA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Harvard Management Company in June 2011.

Interview Details – After the staffing agency set up an appointment, the process began with a series of 3 1:1 interviews. This group's questions were geared towards technical skills and personality traits. The technical questions were mostly standard interviewing questions for software engineers and a few more conceptual questions. The interviewers were generally friendly, with the exception of sneering remarks here and there. The second round of interviews were also 3 1:1 interviews, but with more senior employees and perhaps even management level employees. One member from this group was a particularly tough interviewer, spearheading questions at the interviewee at every turn. The others were very pleasant, as if I were just having a chat with them.

Interview Questions

• What is polymorphism? Describe.   Answer Question
  • If you overheard other employees complaining that you were working too quickly and outshining them, what would you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not particularly negotiable, since they offered a bonus. Most definitely want to make sure all your references are ready to take calls, otherwise may have your offer rejected. I had accepted the offer; didn't hear much from them for a month or so, only to have my offer revoked the day before the start date.

Senior Associate, Quantitative Risk Analytics Interview

Senior Associate, Quantitative Risk Analytics

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Harvard Management Company.

Interview Details – I have applied through an employee referral and the process took about 3 days until I was contacted by a recruiter, a phone interview with hiring manager was then set up. A phone interview took about 30-45 min and consisted of general background questions and a couple of statistics questions. Four days later I went for one on one in-person interviews with a team.I got a lot of technical questions.

Interview Question – What is a copula method?   Answer Question

Worked for Harvard Management Company? Contribute to the Community!