Harvard Medical School Interview Questions

Updated Jul 14, 2015

2.6

Senior Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Harvard Medical School (San Diego, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Started with telephonic screening by the Human Resource manager and followed by a telephonic interview (30 mins) by the Hiring Manager. The Hiring manager at the end of the interview expressed her wish to call me for a face-to-face interview at their site. Full day interview for face-to-face one: my day started with a 45 min presentation followed by one on one with the interview panel. This was followed by a dinner with a selected group of people.

Interview Questions

• How have you encountered a negative situation in your workplace?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Harvard Medical School (Boston, MA) in September 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by the HR recruiter for the position about four weeks after submitting my application. It was very straightforward, though I didn't find the recruiter to be particularly friendly. I wasn't wild about the position, as it was similar to the position I already hold in a different department, though this one was one pay grade higher. I was contacted a few weeks later from the hiring manager directly, asking for times where I could schedule an interview, as well as several background documents, such as a writing sample, transcripts, and references. I had already determined that if given an offer I would not leave my current position for this job, so took my time in responding. I also indicated that through my previous experience with the Harvard hiring process, references were not to be checked until the very end, and expressed concern over this (I was not worried about a negative review - my references are incredibly busy people and I don't want them to be pestered unless it is the final formality before receiving an offer I would accept). I didn't hear anything for several weeks - which bypassed the time period the manager had wanted to schedule an interview, and during that time phone screened and interviewed for various other positions. I didn't bother following up. finally the manager contacted me, letting me know that they had approved and finalized another candidate, and that I would be receiving a formal rejection letter through HMS. I thought this was actually very considerate to inform me instead of leaving me hanging, though it was rather strange that they wouldn't even go to the trouble of following through with their interview offer.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Harvard Medical School (Boston, MA).

Interview

First screened by HR. Interview is very basic but includes computer skills testing. The tests are flawed and - frustratingly - do not show accurate results. Don't judge HMS by their HR. I found them to be quite stern - very different from the friendly, collegial employees who make up the majority of HMS. Second interviews are with the direct hiring manager. Any further interviews depend on the size of the department and how many people you will work for/with.

Interview Questions

• Very general questions from HR. Pretty standard questions from hiring manager; i.e., like those you would see on a sample interview practice worksheet at a career center.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to request a parking pass for the garage since I did not live near public transportation and had to drive. HMS has very limited parking so this was a very important part of the offer package. I paid for my pass, but at a great rate.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Harvard Medical School.

Interview

It really depends the principal investigator.

Ok Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Harvard Medical School.

Interview

give presentation, talk with members in the lab

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Harvard Medical School (Boston, MA) in June 2013.

Interview

tough but manageable. have to prepare in advance. overall a good experience and learning curve. sometimes can be nerve-wracking. some were really nice and friendly and tried to be relaxing..others were not

Bioinformatics Swe Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Harvard Medical School (Boston, MA).

Interview

easy

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Harvard Medical School (Boston, MA) in October 2012.

Interview

Applied through typical process (online, Harvard website). Applied in September; got called in for interview in October. Interviewed by two people, independently of one another. Standard interview/typical questions--"tell me about yourself/your career from college to most recent," "what are you looking for in this position/in your career development," how would you describe the other interviewer?" Received a call back within a week. Overall impressed with professionalism and politeness of the interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Why are you applying for this position when you are overqualified?   1 Answer

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Harvard Medical School (Boston, MA) in April 2011.

Interview

In the morning, (at 9 am) meeting with PI for 1 hour, presentation for 1 hour, meeting with individuals for 20-30 min per each in the group, lunch with PI and group members for 1 hour, more meeting with the rest of group members, final meeting with PI

Interview Questions

• why do you want to join? what project do you want?   1 Answer

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Harvard Medical School (Boston, MA) in December 2010.

Interview

Very stringent - multiple interviews with multiple levels of people, even for bottom rung positions. Only ~ 3% of applicants get a job.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with difficult people? (The question should be how do you deal with entitled people who treat you like crap?)   1 Answer

Negotiation

Minimal. It's very difficult to negotiate salary, b/c they're based on a union structure and internal equity.