Harvard University

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

Staff Assistant Interview

Cambridge, MA

I applied online and interviewed at Harvard University.

Interview Details – It is not easy to get a job at Harvard. It is especially not easy when the only individuals getting hired are ones who have family and friends who can help get them the job. That's how you get hired at Harvard...through connections.

Interview Question – Having to deal with obnoxious, arrogant people.   Answer Question

Communications Specialist Interview

Cambridge, MA

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Harvard University in November 2013.

Interview Details – A Harvard Law School program director found me via LinkedIn.com and interviewed me by phone. I was told they would like to interview me in person the following week, so I booked a flight. Days passed and they did not schedule the interview nor did they reply to my email and phone call following up on a date. So I cancelled the flight. When I notified them of that, the director finally replied. He seemed surprised and scheduled an interview for the following week. I booked a flight, traveled there, and spent four hours interviewing first with the human resources department, then with four members of the staff of this program. All went well. I could see they did not need a full-time person for this role and that systems could be set up so the existing staff members could perform the tasks they needed.
I followed up with a note summarizing what I could do for them, emailing this just to the director. No word. After six weeks, I assumed I didn't get the job but wanted to be certain. I emailed the director again and then emailed the human resources department. No reply. I emailed again in 10 days. No reply.
I suspect no one was hired for this job, based on what I see on the website. I was asked to invest a flight and more than a day to interview for this job. I don't expect a job offer, but I do expect a reply---even a form letter email telling me I didn't get the job. This was a costly way to see how disorganized and inconsiderate this center at the Harvard Law School is.

Interview Question – No difficult questions   Answer Question

Department Assistant Interview

Cambridge, MA

I applied online - interviewed at Harvard University in February 2010.

Interview Details – I had an in person interview, which took about an hour. I was them invited to return for a second interview, with more of the department staff present. The second interview was conducted as a group, rather than one-on-one. All in all, the process took about 3 weeks, though that first call did take an extra few weeks to get! It was a pretty standard process, and well-organized. I lost the job to someone internal, but they were clear that it was not due to lacking qualifications or not interviewing well, which was helpful.

Interview Question – None that I can think of.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Undergraduate Research Assistant Interview

Cambridge, MA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Harvard University in December 2013.

Interview Details – Hiring involved submitting of CV on intranet of school (crimson careers), and if interests match then professor sends you an invitation for interview. I think most of those who receive the invitation end up receiving an offer and accepting the job. The interview is very basic, it is just a gauge of the interest of the research assistant and also to see if the student has basic skills for the jobs.

Interview Question – Do you know how to use STATA?   Answer Question

Staff Assistant I Interview

Cambridge, MA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Harvard University.

Interview Details – Applied online - was called in for an interview. Was called back for a second interview where I meet with 2 VP's. Got an offer later that day. Initial interview was great - very willing to answer questions and make sure I was comfortable with and actually interested in the position.

Interview Question – nothing - just ordinary interview questions   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Cambridge, MA

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Harvard University in June 2010.

Interview Details – I contacted with the professor, submit a research proposal, got a call from him (a kind of informal interview), and got the position

Interview Question – just casual talk   Answer Question

Research Assistant I Interview

Research Assistant I
Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Harvard University.

Interview Details – Recruiter set me up with interview. Interview was quick. Took tour of lab and introduced me to other employees in lab that I would be working with and explained study that I would be helping.

Interview Question – What scientific background do you have that relates to cardiovascular disease or scientific techniques that would help improve the lab?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Harvard University in January 2011.

Interview Details – Reference letter and a phone call interview may be all you need to do;
but when you join the lab, you will be asked to do a presentation about your previous work.

Interview Question – Basically if you have a few good papers, you will get the offer.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation on salary because Harvard University is never lack of good postdocs, so you just accept it.

PhD Student Interview

PhD Student
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 3+ months - interviewed at Harvard University in December 2012.

Interview Details – Application through the departments. Of course you will need the GRE and good academic preparation from your undergraduate school. Letters of recommendation and some experience in research will take you far. Once submitted, each department will review the applicants and they are invited for interviews.

Interview Question – Tell me more about your previous research   Answer Question

Research Scientist Interview

Research Scientist
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Harvard University.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted a week later to schedule a phone interview. The 30-minute interview was with an HR rep, who informed me that if I was to move on in the process I would begin speaking with the actual managers. I was told to expect a response within 2 weeks, but never heard anything back until I sent an email inquiry, after which I was told I would not be moving forward in the process.

I sensed that the interviewer was not given sufficient information about the position and desired qualifications, leading to a disconnect between HR and the team's management.

Interview Question – None unexpected questions   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Harvard University

Worked for Harvard University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Harvard University interview questions and advice in Boston, MA. All 52 interview reviews posted anonymously by Harvard University employees and interview candidates.