Harvard University Director Interview Questions

Updated Jul 31, 2015

3.8

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

There were many steps to the interview process. 1st was phone interview with HR, 2nd was a phone interview with hiring manager, 3rd interview was an all day interview meeting many many individuals in 30 minute intervals (Very exhausting) followed by a 4th phone interview. The interview was all hypothetical questions and I did not feel they focused on my qualifications. HU has a reputation for continually reviewing new candidates even when they have very good candidates in front of them. In my case it was looking like an offer was coming until HR decided to let one more candidate come through. The interview process is long for these senior jobs. I wasn't sure I would accept it as even though the pay scale was within my range they did not want to offer what I was currently making. It would have been a tough decision on my part as I did like the job role and I do feel the school offers a great opportunity. I just feel I was strung along

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Harvard University

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in June 2011.

Interview

The individuals I met with at Harvard were pleasant enough, and in fact asked good questions, were fair and made the interview mostly enjoyable, not that I was expecting that. I met with 3 individuals for approx. 30 min each. The last interviewer was the person I would work most closely with, if I were to be offered a position. It became clear, that though this was a new position, the 3rd interviewer was passing off all the activities she did not like to the new position. Though I was warned at the beginning of the 3rd interview that I would be given a "quiz" to test my accounting skills, I certainly wasn't looking forward to this and it affected the quality of my interview. So, at the end I was given the quiz which was supposed to take 10 min. It ended up taking more than 20 min. Here is my problem: I was interviewing for a Director of Finance position, that surely had some accounting skills related to it but were not referred to in the job description. In fact, I was surprised that Harvard had the gall to pull this shenanigan for a Director level position. Nonetheless, I bombed this "quiz" and wasn't offered a follow up interview. While, I would apply for future positions at Harvard, I am glad that this particular position didn't work out considering the quality of the interview at the end, and their "screening" process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in January 2010.

Interview

Incredibly thorough process. I was the top candidate from the beginning, but they still called all four references and talked to them for an hour a piece, and gave me a two hour group interview. It wa a bit overwhelming, but it was definitely fair, given the rigor. I was not an inside candidate or connected to anyone at Harvard.

Interview Questions

• There were no real unexpected questions. Just all of the standard ones, in my opinion.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Cordial, Flexible. They gave me a 3k bonus to compensate for a lower salary than I was hoping for.

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Harvard University in March 2012.

Interview

ok