Harvard University

Updated Nov 10, 2014
Updated Nov 10, 2014

2.8

Media Technician Interview

To start with I responded to a craigslist ad. I was then brought in a few weeks later to interview. There was a single interview where they asked availability questions and quickly reviewed my past work history. They also had a quiz with some basic questions regarding AV setups. Study up on connection types, and simple av setups. You will need to be familiar with crestron systems, wireless microphones, and event videography.

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't expecting the quiz but I understand that its a helpful screening tool.   Answer Question
    I asked for the highest hourly posted in the ad and was given it. Never received a raise after that.

Intern In Molecular Biology Laboratory Interview

Interviewed by future supervisor. Pretty straightforward, he made sure I was familiar with molecular biology concepts but nothing too hard. Questions like: "Are you familiar with PCR?" Asked about my previous experience in labs. He asked a lot about my plans for the future after college, be prepared to give some sort of answer even if you don't know for certain yet.

Interview Questions
    • What do you plan to be doing in a few years   View Answer

Post Doc Interview

I contacted my current employer via email and she responded very quickly. It was all about having the right skills that she was looking for. Find skills that are sell able.

Interview Questions
    • Everything was pretty much what I expected. They were trying to determine if I was right, well selling the school at the same time.   Answer Question
    The salary is set by the NIH.

Admissions Officer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Harvard University.

Job posting on Harvard Jobs website, tend to prefer people with background in either Admissions or Harvard University

Multiple Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Harvard University.

Applying online is very easy. Phone screening by HR, followed by one or multiple interviews (depending on school and department) with hiring team. Study Behavioral Interviewing as it is the preferred format of interviewing at Harvard. I found the most helpful thing in getting jobs at HU was displaying passion for the position. HU relies on having people who are VERY dedicated.

Once you are in, you are in. Transferring is very simple and it is easier to get an interview if you are a current employee. If you are a member of the union, they can assist in getting you interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Anything starting with "Tell me about a time..." Luckily I had studied some talking points because for every job I have held at HU, these have been the types of questions asked.   View Answer
    Not a lot of negotiation. If you have other offers, you can get them to pay you more. A lower percentage of people get hired at HU than get accepted to go to school there, so unless they LOVE you, you do not have a lot of leverage.

Senior Analyst Interview

Informational interview, then position created

No negotiation, standard salary

Network Engineer Interview

I went in to the building and then checked into the desk. Then after that I went through the door and went into the office. He asked questions about networking.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Harvard University.

Applied online, there was no interview process.

Interview Questions
    • There was no interview. Job was offered based on application.   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Harvard University.

The interview was simple for my department. you just do a skype interview. The professor was very friendly and they just wanted to get to know you better. He asked you questions about your research experiences, why you want to become a PhD student, and why the discipline you've chosen.

No Negotiation Phase

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Harvard University.

Contacted research group by email. Set up a Skype interview after which requested to come on-site for interview. Gave a seminar on-site and interviewed with group members individually. Long day with meeting a lot of people. Standard academic interview. Nothing special.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked to propose ideas for projects. Not unusual in academia. Had to give them some thought.   View Answer
    No negotiation.