Harvard University Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 7, 2014
118 interviews

2.8

Project Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Harvard University in July 2014.

Had an initial phone call to schedule a conference call with 2 other people at the organization. The conference call interview was my first. The lag was a bit distracting, as well as the audio quality. The interview was somewhat formulaic. They were a little resistant to divulging many details about the position. Probably because they knew already I wasn't a good fit.

Interview Questions
    • "How would you design an educational experiment with an intervention? What if you couldn't randomize?"

"What does the racial achievement gap in our education system look like and mean to you?"
        Answer Question

Coordinator Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Harvard University.

So I interviewed for 2 different Coordinator positions. I did not get the first one, but then I got the 2nd position years down the line. Be prepared to possibly be interviewed by people do not necessarily know how to interview. In order to try to see if someone is a good "fit" for the org, it is not uncommon to have the entire dept. in a meeting room with an applicant to just basically meet you and not even really engage/interact with you.

Interview Questions
    • Standard ones seem to apply, your greatest weakness, experiential ones.   Answer Question

Staff Assistant III Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Harvard University in November 2013.

I was recommended by a friend of a friend for a staff opening in the alumni department. I submitted my application and got in touch with said fof, who then went to HR, and let them know I had submitted. I had a 30 minute phone interview with a recruiter, which was pleasant but I could tell I wasn't going to get the position because she had asked if she could keep me in mind for other roles in the future.

Associate Director, Strategic Marketing and Communications, FAS Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Harvard University in April 2014.

After being refered to the HR person through an informational interview in another department, I was contacted for a telephone interview. We spoke for 25 minutes. I was not selected to move ahead.

Interview Questions
    • What is it about this position that you are most looking forward to.   Answer Question

Program Coordinator Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Harvard University in February 2014.

I had two interviews, one with HR and one with the group. The HR interview was very basic, asking if I had questions about the benefits of working at Harvard, briefly talked about my resume. The actual job interview was with a panel of 3 people.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of questions about my career path and justifying my previous positions. A few behavioral/hypothetical scenarios, how would I react etc.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Harvard University.

One phone interview with the PI. on-site campus visit and gave a 1 hr presentation. During phone interview with PI, we talked about my interests and possible projects which I can work. He also sent me few research papers so I could study them.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were from my previous work; so, I didn't have difficulty answering them.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Harvard University in February 2013.

This depends on the group you will work and your PI. I had no big issues. The interview was more a chat than an interview, since I brought my own fellowship.

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Harvard University.

The interview was simple for my department. you just do a skype interview. The professor was very friendly and they just wanted to get to know you better. He asked you questions about your research experiences, why you want to become a PhD student, and why the discipline you've chosen.

No Negotiation Phase

Assistant to the Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Harvard University.

I interviewed with the Office Manager and another person to whom I would not be reporting (why?), before interviewing with the Director, who would be my supervisor. During my employment, I found that there were not clear lines of authority, which led to various problems throughout the department, such as jockeying for favor and intense politicking.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about my religion, which I thought was highly unprofessional and inappropriate.   Answer Question
    The salary and conditions weren't negotiable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Harvard University in June 2013.

It was one day entire day interview process.

First, you will usually have a meeting with PI. Then, you will start to meet with other people in the lab.
    They will have a crew of people to have a lunch to talk with you as well.
    Then, you will give a presentation about your research. After that, you will meet more people.

It is a set format, but vacation time was flexible.

Worked for Harvard University? Contribute to the Community!