Harvard University Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014
Updated Oct 16, 2014

2.8

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Harvard University in April 2013.

The interview included a Skype session at first, then a lab visit including a presentation followed with Q&A, a tour of the lab spaces as well as the Harvard shared facilities (the Center for Nanoscale Systems).

Multimedia Tech Interview

Responded to an ad on Craigslist. Received a phone call about a week later asking when I could come in for an interview. I met my future supervisor at the main office in Harvard and we discussed aspects of the job that were particular to Harvard (the class nature, how audio systems are integrated into classrooms, the resources we have for rooms, speaker systems). We talked extensively about our pasts; my boss very much appreciated that I came from an A/V background. After the discussion we shook hands and she let me know I would receive an email in a week letting me know if I had the job. I got that email two days later, and I got the job.

Interview Questions
    • Explain (in detail) your past experience and how you would fit in with Harvard and the community here.   Answer Question

University Development Strategy Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Harvard University in February 2014.

There were three stages of interviews for this department: a phone screen, a first round interview, and a final round interview. Each stage consisted of an interview with two people on the Development Strategy Team.

Interview Questions
    • Why development, and why Harvard for that field specifically?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow (Law School) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Harvard University in July 2014.

Not sure if they even knew what their process was. Applied online and was contacted for a phone interview with the department the next week. Then contacted for an HR overview the following week (strangely out of order). Told I would hear either way (schedule in person or reject) within 1wk after HR interview... And then got an automated message after 9 weeks had passed rejecting me. Well, thanks, I had kind of figured that out by then! Just seemed really disorganized and rushed, HR was friendly but department definitely was not. Left me wondering why they contacted me to begin with-they clearly weren't interested in hiring me.

Interview Questions
    • Detailed questions on writing sample I sent in, were they checking whether I plagiarized it?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Harvard University in July 2014.

Had an initial phone call to schedule a conference call with 2 other people at the organization. The conference call interview was my first. The lag was a bit distracting, as well as the audio quality. The interview was somewhat formulaic. They were a little resistant to divulging many details about the position. Probably because they knew already I wasn't a good fit.

Interview Questions
    • "How would you design an educational experiment with an intervention? What if you couldn't randomize?"

"What does the racial achievement gap in our education system look like and mean to you?"
        Answer Question

Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Harvard University.

So I interviewed for 2 different Coordinator positions. I did not get the first one, but then I got the 2nd position years down the line. Be prepared to possibly be interviewed by people do not necessarily know how to interview. In order to try to see if someone is a good "fit" for the org, it is not uncommon to have the entire dept. in a meeting room with an applicant to just basically meet you and not even really engage/interact with you.

Interview Questions
    • Standard ones seem to apply, your greatest weakness, experiential ones.   Answer Question

Staff Assistant III Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Harvard University in November 2013.

I was recommended by a friend of a friend for a staff opening in the alumni department. I submitted my application and got in touch with said fof, who then went to HR, and let them know I had submitted. I had a 30 minute phone interview with a recruiter, which was pleasant but I could tell I wasn't going to get the position because she had asked if she could keep me in mind for other roles in the future.

Associate Director, Strategic Marketing and Communications, FAS Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Harvard University in April 2014.

After being refered to the HR person through an informational interview in another department, I was contacted for a telephone interview. We spoke for 25 minutes. I was not selected to move ahead.

Interview Questions
    • What is it about this position that you are most looking forward to.   Answer Question

Program Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Harvard University in February 2014.

I had two interviews, one with HR and one with the group. The HR interview was very basic, asking if I had questions about the benefits of working at Harvard, briefly talked about my resume. The actual job interview was with a panel of 3 people.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of questions about my career path and justifying my previous positions. A few behavioral/hypothetical scenarios, how would I react etc.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Harvard University.

One phone interview with the PI. on-site campus visit and gave a 1 hr presentation. During phone interview with PI, we talked about my interests and possible projects which I can work. He also sent me few research papers so I could study them.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were from my previous work; so, I didn't have difficulty answering them.   Answer Question