Harvard University

Updated Nov 10, 2014
Updated Nov 10, 2014

2.8

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Harvard University.

Contacted research group by email. Set up a Skype interview after which requested to come on-site for interview. Gave a seminar on-site and interviewed with group members individually. Long day with meeting a lot of people. Standard academic interview. Nothing special.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked to propose ideas for projects. Not unusual in academia. Had to give them some thought.   View Answer
    No negotiation.

Human Resources Professional Interview

Went throught 6 interviews. One on One and group interviews.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Mailed the application to the professor, got a call from people in the lab and scheduled an on-site interview. Meet the whole group and gave a presentation about PhD work.

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Harvard University in April 2014.

I applied online back in February and 3 weeks later got a call to arrange a 30 minute preliminary phone interview. The phone interview only lasted 8 minutes and the interviewer asked very generic questions (Why do you want to leave your job, can you work overtime, can you do this related to the job), so I thought I'd be done after that. However, I got a call 4 days later to set up an hour long interview with three directors the following week on Skype due to my distance from Cambridge. This next interview was difficult. It involved a lot of scenario-based questions related to customer service, management and authority and inquiring about my motivation for the job.

I didn't hear back for three weeks after the interview, so I sent a message asking for an update. Another week passed and they emailed back wanting to schedule another interview with another director. This was very similar to the second interview with a lot of scenario-based questions and giving examples of my previous work experience. At this time they requested references and a background check, and another interview with the HR director a week later. Two days after the HR interview, I was called with an offer.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, but they offered me much more than the minimum for the position, so there was no need to negotiate.

Associate Director, Strategic Marketing and Communications, FAS Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Harvard University in April 2014.

After being refered to the HR person through an informational interview in another department, I was contacted for a telephone interview. We spoke for 25 minutes. I was not selected to move ahead.

Interview Questions
    • What is it about this position that you are most looking forward to.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Harvard University.

Applied online, there was no interview process.

Interview Questions
    • There was no interview. Job was offered based on application.   Answer Question

Upper Level Mathematics Course Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Harvard University.

Hiring is different depending on which course you are a course assistant for- in my case, I had taken the course I taught for my freshman year and was recommended to be a CA by the professor. In general you send your application to Oliver Knill within the department and selections are made from there. Typically there are no interviews required, and previous teaching experience is not a prerequisite.

Interview Questions
    • Prove for the following set of conditions that there is a subsequence f_k(x) that converges to a continuous function f(x):

1. f_k(x) is an infinite sequence of functions from the interval [0,1] to the set of real numbers.
      2. The sequence is uniformly bounded, i.e. there exists some R<infty s.t. |f_k(x)|<R for all x,k.
      3. The sequence is equicontinuous at every x.

View Answer

Director of Financial Operations Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Harvard University.

Harvard is very decentralized and each school/tub has its own interview process so my experiences interviewing for positions at Harvard were quite different. I will say neither position used a panel or behavioral interview process. I interviewed with individuals and different times with no standardized format to the questions.

Interview Questions
    • Can you come back for a 4th round of interviews?   View Answer
    It was very straightforward as most offices have a budget that they will usually offer the max on that budget for the best candidate and Harvard does not have specific benefits that all employees don't already receive as a apart of their benefit package that hiring managers can offer, unless you are a dean or VP.

Staff Assistant I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Harvard University.

Applied online - was called in for an interview. Was called back for a second interview where I meet with 2 VP's. Got an offer later that day. Initial interview was great - very willing to answer questions and make sure I was comfortable with and actually interested in the position.

Research Assistant I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Harvard University.

Recruiter set me up with interview. Interview was quick. Took tour of lab and introduced me to other employees in lab that I would be working with and explained study that I would be helping.

Interview Questions
    • What scientific background do you have that relates to cardiovascular disease or scientific techniques that would help improve the lab?   Answer Question