Harvard University

Updated Nov 10, 2014
Updated Nov 10, 2014

2.8

Researcher Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Harvard University.

Applied online.
    On the day of the interview, met several people for 30min or so throughout the day.
    Had a follow up interview with couple of other people on another day.
    Interview questions were mostly prior work experience related and approaches to solving current problems, there were some behavioral type questions, but not a lot.
    The whole process was completed within few weeks.

Interview Questions
    Be aware of the grade scales for the advertised positions when discussing salaries. Also good to discuss and find out career growth and development paths prior to expecting offer.

University Development Strategy Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Harvard University in February 2014.

There were three stages of interviews for this department: a phone screen, a first round interview, and a final round interview. Each stage consisted of an interview with two people on the Development Strategy Team.

Interview Questions
    • Why development, and why Harvard for that field specifically?   Answer Question

Program Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Harvard University in February 2014.

I had two interviews, one with HR and one with the group. The HR interview was very basic, asking if I had questions about the benefits of working at Harvard, briefly talked about my resume. The actual job interview was with a panel of 3 people.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of questions about my career path and justifying my previous positions. A few behavioral/hypothetical scenarios, how would I react etc.   Answer Question

Network Engineer Interview

I went in to the building and then checked into the desk. Then after that I went through the door and went into the office. He asked questions about networking.

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Harvard University.

I applied online and was contacted a week later to schedule a phone interview. The 30-minute interview was with an HR rep, who informed me that if I was to move on in the process I would begin speaking with the actual managers. I was told to expect a response within 2 weeks, but never heard anything back until I sent an email inquiry, after which I was told I would not be moving forward in the process.

I sensed that the interviewer was not given sufficient information about the position and desired qualifications, leading to a disconnect between HR and the team's management.

Researcher Interview

took 4 weeks. interview was easy. not selected likely because of fit issue.

Undergraduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Harvard University in December 2013.

Hiring involved submitting of CV on intranet of school (crimson careers), and if interests match then professor sends you an invitation for interview. I think most of those who receive the invitation end up receiving an offer and accepting the job. The interview is very basic, it is just a gauge of the interest of the research assistant and also to see if the student has basic skills for the jobs.

Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Harvard University in November 2013.

A Harvard Law School program director found me via LinkedIn.com and interviewed me by phone. I was told they would like to interview me in person the following week, so I booked a flight. Days passed and they did not schedule the interview nor did they reply to my email and phone call following up on a date. So I cancelled the flight. When I notified them of that, the director finally replied. He seemed surprised and scheduled an interview for the following week. I booked a flight, traveled there, and spent four hours interviewing first with the human resources department, then with four members of the staff of this program. All went well. I could see they did not need a full-time person for this role and that systems could be set up so the existing staff members could perform the tasks they needed.
    I followed up with a note summarizing what I could do for them, emailing this just to the director. No word. After six weeks, I assumed I didn't get the job but wanted to be certain. I emailed the director again and then emailed the human resources department. No reply. I emailed again in 10 days. No reply.
    I suspect no one was hired for this job, based on what I see on the website. I was asked to invest a flight and more than a day to interview for this job. I don't expect a job offer, but I do expect a reply---even a form letter email telling me I didn't get the job. This was a costly way to see how disorganized and inconsiderate this center at the Harvard Law School is.

Staff Assistant II Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Harvard University in November 2013.

Within a week or so of applying, I received an email with more information about the position. After responding to the email that still expressed my interest, I received a response saying that the office would review applications and get back to me if I was selected for an interview. Within a week, I received another email scheduling a call with the office head, which took place a little more than a week later. This call was mostly informational with a little bit of interview questions, but not really a full out interview. The next week, I received another email for a full phone interview. After that phase, I received an email that the office wanted to have a group interview with the other members of the team. Since I am not from the area and have no connections to the university, we arranged a Skype meeting.

Following the interviews, a little more than a week later, I was called again by the department's director to speak more about the position and requirements. My references were also requested at this time. The next week, I was informed that I was selected for the final round of interviews and given sample assignments to complete and turn in over email. During this time, the director also checked my references. After turning in the sample assignments and waiting another week, I was offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • Having about a week to complete various sample assignments that are actual requirements of the job.   Answer Question

Campus Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Harvard University.

Applied late spring. Got a Initial phone interview a little over a month later, and then set a time for a face to face with two rounds of supervisor interviews. A lot of questions about how to handle hypothetical difficult situations. And how you have handled difficult situations in the past. A lot of character questions and will probe for the basis of your motivation for the job.