Harvard University Interview Questions

2.8

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Harvard University.

I applied online and was contacted a week later to schedule a phone interview. The 30-minute interview was with an HR rep, who informed me that if I was to move on in the process I would begin speaking with the actual managers. I was told to expect a response within 2 weeks, but never heard anything back until I sent an email inquiry, after which I was told I would not be moving forward in the process.

I sensed that the interviewer was not given sufficient information about the position and desired qualifications, leading to a disconnect between HR and the team's management.

Researcher Interview

took 4 weeks. interview was easy. not selected likely because of fit issue.

Undergraduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Harvard University in December 2013.

Hiring involved submitting of CV on intranet of school (crimson careers), and if interests match then professor sends you an invitation for interview. I think most of those who receive the invitation end up receiving an offer and accepting the job. The interview is very basic, it is just a gauge of the interest of the research assistant and also to see if the student has basic skills for the jobs.

Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Harvard University in November 2013.

A Harvard Law School program director found me via LinkedIn.com and interviewed me by phone. I was told they would like to interview me in person the following week, so I booked a flight. Days passed and they did not schedule the interview nor did they reply to my email and phone call following up on a date. So I cancelled the flight. When I notified them of that, the director finally replied. He seemed surprised and scheduled an interview for the following week. I booked a flight, traveled there, and spent four hours interviewing first with the human resources department, then with four members of the staff of this program. All went well. I could see they did not need a full-time person for this role and that systems could be set up so the existing staff members could perform the tasks they needed.
    I followed up with a note summarizing what I could do for them, emailing this just to the director. No word. After six weeks, I assumed I didn't get the job but wanted to be certain. I emailed the director again and then emailed the human resources department. No reply. I emailed again in 10 days. No reply.
    I suspect no one was hired for this job, based on what I see on the website. I was asked to invest a flight and more than a day to interview for this job. I don't expect a job offer, but I do expect a reply---even a form letter email telling me I didn't get the job. This was a costly way to see how disorganized and inconsiderate this center at the Harvard Law School is.

Staff Assistant II Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Harvard University in November 2013.

Within a week or so of applying, I received an email with more information about the position. After responding to the email that still expressed my interest, I received a response saying that the office would review applications and get back to me if I was selected for an interview. Within a week, I received another email scheduling a call with the office head, which took place a little more than a week later. This call was mostly informational with a little bit of interview questions, but not really a full out interview. The next week, I received another email for a full phone interview. After that phase, I received an email that the office wanted to have a group interview with the other members of the team. Since I am not from the area and have no connections to the university, we arranged a Skype meeting.

Following the interviews, a little more than a week later, I was called again by the department's director to speak more about the position and requirements. My references were also requested at this time. The next week, I was informed that I was selected for the final round of interviews and given sample assignments to complete and turn in over email. During this time, the director also checked my references. After turning in the sample assignments and waiting another week, I was offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • Having about a week to complete various sample assignments that are actual requirements of the job.   Answer Question

Campus Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Harvard University.

Applied late spring. Got a Initial phone interview a little over a month later, and then set a time for a face to face with two rounds of supervisor interviews. A lot of questions about how to handle hypothetical difficult situations. And how you have handled difficult situations in the past. A lot of character questions and will probe for the basis of your motivation for the job.

Staff Assistant III Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Harvard University in November 2013.

I was recommended by a friend of a friend for a staff opening in the alumni department. I submitted my application and got in touch with said fof, who then went to HR, and let them know I had submitted. I had a 30 minute phone interview with a recruiter, which was pleasant but I could tell I wasn't going to get the position because she had asked if she could keep me in mind for other roles in the future.

Human Resources Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Harvard University.

The process was straight forward. Everybody was very friendly,

Interview Questions
    • Why should we hire an outsider and not someone within?   View Answer

Teaching Fellow Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Harvard University in September 2013.

A course was short-staffed after a large influx of students wanting to take the class. They reached out through their current TF's and I was contacted since I had graduated and was in the area. I was brought in immediately with little prior communication. The world of academia is simply a far more casual place than other sectors.
    After meeting with the head of the course, she asked me several questions, but mostly about my commitments during the semester (of which I had none). Shortly after she let me know she'd love to have me aboard.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were fairly straightforward, and the resume matters more. But the most encompassing question was, "what do you plan to do to increase student participation?"   Answer Question

Financial Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I had to interview with 5 managers for my current position. A lot of behavioral questions. I also, had to take a math test, an excel test, and a writing test. I am not sure if this is required in most other departments though.

Interview Questions
    I negotiated for my salary. They seemed to be reluctant in the beginning, but after a few calls we decided on a number. Obviously there is a range that they have, so you have to be prepared to explain why you think you are worth so that you can negotiate your salary as high as possible. Have some concrete facts about the industry, and a similar position. It's very helpful.