Harvard University

Relevance Date Difficulty

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Cambridge, MA

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Harvard University in June 2010.

Interview Details – I contacted with the professor, submit a research proposal, got a call from him (a kind of informal interview), and got the position

Interview Question – just casual talk   Answer Question

Research Assistant I Interview

Research Assistant I
Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Harvard University.

Interview Details – Recruiter set me up with interview. Interview was quick. Took tour of lab and introduced me to other employees in lab that I would be working with and explained study that I would be helping.

Interview Question – What scientific background do you have that relates to cardiovascular disease or scientific techniques that would help improve the lab?   Answer Question

Researcher Interview

Researcher

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Harvard University.

Interview Details – Applied online.
On the day of the interview, met several people for 30min or so throughout the day.
Had a follow up interview with couple of other people on another day.
Interview questions were mostly prior work experience related and approaches to solving current problems, there were some behavioral type questions, but not a lot.
The whole process was completed within few weeks.

Interview Question – None that were not expected for the applied position   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Be aware of the grade scales for the advertised positions when discussing salaries. Also good to discuss and find out career growth and development paths prior to expecting offer.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Harvard University in January 2011.

Interview Details – Reference letter and a phone call interview may be all you need to do;
but when you join the lab, you will be asked to do a presentation about your previous work.

Interview Question – Basically if you have a few good papers, you will get the offer.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation on salary because Harvard University is never lack of good postdocs, so you just accept it.

PhD Student Interview

PhD Student
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 3+ months - interviewed at Harvard University in December 2012.

Interview Details – Application through the departments. Of course you will need the GRE and good academic preparation from your undergraduate school. Letters of recommendation and some experience in research will take you far. Once submitted, each department will review the applicants and they are invited for interviews.

Interview Question – Tell me more about your previous research   Answer Question

Network Engineer Interview

Network Engineer

Interviewed at Harvard University

Interview Details – I went in to the building and then checked into the desk. Then after that I went through the door and went into the office. He asked questions about networking.

Interview Question – What is the OSI model?   Answer Question

Research Scientist Interview

Research Scientist
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Harvard University.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted a week later to schedule a phone interview. The 30-minute interview was with an HR rep, who informed me that if I was to move on in the process I would begin speaking with the actual managers. I was told to expect a response within 2 weeks, but never heard anything back until I sent an email inquiry, after which I was told I would not be moving forward in the process.

I sensed that the interviewer was not given sufficient information about the position and desired qualifications, leading to a disconnect between HR and the team's management.

Interview Question – None unexpected questions   Answer Question

Researcher Interview

Researcher

Interviewed at Harvard University

Interview Details – took 4 weeks. interview was easy. not selected likely because of fit issue.

Staff Assistant II Interview

Staff Assistant II
Cambridge, MA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Harvard University in July 2013.

Interview Details – Extremely rigorous interview process; six separate ones at different levels before offer made.

Interview Question – How long do you see yourself remaining in this position?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, but they offered the minimum of what I had determined I would accept, so negotiation was not necessary.

Program Director Interview

Program Director
Boston, MA

I applied in-person - interviewed at Harvard University in August 2010.

Interview Details – I was contacted by an HSPH faculty member who was interested in creating a position in the field of international public health tobacco control. We discussed the position in detail and created an opportunity that would allow me the flexibility to also pursue a mid-career program at the Harvard Kennedy School, which I completed in May 2012.

Interview Question – What is your biggest challenge and how do you address it?   View Answer