Harvard University Interview Questions

Updated Jul 15, 2015

2.8

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in April 2014.

Interview

After being refered to the HR person through an informational interview in another department, I was contacted for a telephone interview. We spoke for 25 minutes. I was not selected to move ahead.

Interview Questions

• What is it about this position that you are most looking forward to.   Answer Question

Technical Writer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Harvard University in April 2014.

Interview

I applied online and received an email from HR a week later asking me to schedule a phone screening with them. I spoke with a recruiter who asked me the usual questions (why are you interested, what is your experience with X, etc) and then contacted me the next day about an in-person interview. I met about a week and a half later with six people, two of whom I had individual 30 minute interview sessions with and four with which I had two 30 minute sessions. I was asked more specific questions about my experience with digital writing, my background in writing about healthcare, and questions about international experience.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Harvard University.

Interview

Hiring is different depending on which course you are a course assistant for- in my case, I had taken the course I taught for my freshman year and was recommended to be a CA by the professor. In general you send your application to Oliver Knill within the department and selections are made from there. Typically there are no interviews required, and previous teaching experience is not a prerequisite.

Interview Questions

• Prove for the following set of conditions that there is a subsequence f_k(x) that converges to a continuous function f(x): 1. f_k(x) is an infinite sequence of functions from the interval [0,1] to the set of real numbers. 2. The sequence is uniformly bounded, i.e. there exists some R<infty s.t. |f_k(x)|<R for all x,k. 3. The sequence is equicontinuous at every x.   1 Answer

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Harvard University.

Interview

Applied online, there was no interview process.

Interview Questions

• There was no interview. Job was offered based on application.   Answer Question

Director of Financial Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Harvard University.

Interview

Harvard is very decentralized and each school/tub has its own interview process so my experiences interviewing for positions at Harvard were quite different. I will say neither position used a panel or behavioral interview process. I interviewed with individuals and different times with no standardized format to the questions.

Interview Questions

• Can you come back for a 4th round of interviews?   1 Answer

Negotiation

It was very straightforward as most offices have a budget that they will usually offer the max on that budget for the best candidate and Harvard does not have specific benefits that all employees don't already receive as a apart of their benefit package that hiring managers can offer, unless you are a dean or VP.

Staff Assistant I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Applied online - was called in for an interview. Was called back for a second interview where I meet with 2 VP's. Got an offer later that day. Initial interview was great - very willing to answer questions and make sure I was comfortable with and actually interested in the position.

Research Assistant I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Harvard University (Boston, MA).

Interview

Recruiter set me up with interview. Interview was quick. Took tour of lab and introduced me to other employees in lab that I would be working with and explained study that I would be helping.

Interview Questions

• What scientific background do you have that relates to cardiovascular disease or scientific techniques that would help improve the lab?   Answer Question

Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Harvard University.

Interview

Applied online. On the day of the interview, met several people for 30min or so throughout the day. Had a follow up interview with couple of other people on another day. Interview questions were mostly prior work experience related and approaches to solving current problems, there were some behavioral type questions, but not a lot. The whole process was completed within few weeks.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Be aware of the grade scales for the advertised positions when discussing salaries. Also good to discuss and find out career growth and development paths prior to expecting offer.

Program Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Harvard University in February 2014.

Interview

I had two interviews, one with HR and one with the group. The HR interview was very basic, asking if I had questions about the benefits of working at Harvard, briefly talked about my resume. The actual job interview was with a panel of 3 people.

Interview Questions

• A lot of questions about my career path and justifying my previous positions. A few behavioral/hypothetical scenarios, how would I react etc.   Answer Question

University Development Strategy Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Harvard University in February 2014.

Interview

There were three stages of interviews for this department: a phone screen, a first round interview, and a final round interview. Each stage consisted of an interview with two people on the Development Strategy Team.

Interview Questions

• Why development, and why Harvard for that field specifically?   Answer Question