Harvard University Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2015

2.8

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in April 2014.

Interview

I applied online back in February and 3 weeks later got a call to arrange a 30 minute preliminary phone interview. The phone interview only lasted 8 minutes and the interviewer asked very generic questions (Why do you want to leave your job, can you work overtime, can you do this related to the job), so I thought I'd be done after that. However, I got a call 4 days later to set up an hour long interview with three directors the following week on Skype due to my distance from Cambridge. This next interview was difficult. It involved a lot of scenario-based questions related to customer service, management and authority and inquiring about my motivation for the job. I didn't hear back for three weeks after the interview, so I sent a message asking for an update. Another week passed and they emailed back wanting to schedule another interview with another director. This was very similar to the second interview with a lot of scenario-based questions and giving examples of my previous work experience. At this time they requested references and a background check, and another interview with the HR director a week later. Two days after the HR interview, I was called with an offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation, but they offered me much more than the minimum for the position, so there was no need to negotiate.

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in April 2014.

Interview

After being refered to the HR person through an informational interview in another department, I was contacted for a telephone interview. We spoke for 25 minutes. I was not selected to move ahead.

Interview Questions

• What is it about this position that you are most looking forward to.   Answer Question

Technical Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Harvard University in April 2014.

Interview

I applied online and received an email from HR a week later asking me to schedule a phone screening with them. I spoke with a recruiter who asked me the usual questions (why are you interested, what is your experience with X, etc) and then contacted me the next day about an in-person interview. I met about a week and a half later with six people, two of whom I had individual 30 minute interview sessions with and four with which I had two 30 minute sessions. I was asked more specific questions about my experience with digital writing, my background in writing about healthcare, and questions about international experience.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Harvard University.

Interview

Hiring is different depending on which course you are a course assistant for- in my case, I had taken the course I taught for my freshman year and was recommended to be a CA by the professor. In general you send your application to Oliver Knill within the department and selections are made from there. Typically there are no interviews required, and previous teaching experience is not a prerequisite.

Interview Questions

• Prove for the following set of conditions that there is a subsequence f_k(x) that converges to a continuous function f(x): 1. f_k(x) is an infinite sequence of functions from the interval [0,1] to the set of real numbers. 2. The sequence is uniformly bounded, i.e. there exists some R<infty s.t. |f_k(x)|<R for all x,k. 3. The sequence is equicontinuous at every x.   1 Answer

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Harvard University.

Interview

Applied online, there was no interview process.

Interview Questions

• There was no interview. Job was offered based on application.   Answer Question

Director of Financial Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Harvard University.

Interview

Harvard is very decentralized and each school/tub has its own interview process so my experiences interviewing for positions at Harvard were quite different. I will say neither position used a panel or behavioral interview process. I interviewed with individuals and different times with no standardized format to the questions.

Interview Questions

• Can you come back for a 4th round of interviews?   1 Answer

Negotiation

It was very straightforward as most offices have a budget that they will usually offer the max on that budget for the best candidate and Harvard does not have specific benefits that all employees don't already receive as a apart of their benefit package that hiring managers can offer, unless you are a dean or VP.

Staff Assistant I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Applied online - was called in for an interview. Was called back for a second interview where I meet with 2 VP's. Got an offer later that day. Initial interview was great - very willing to answer questions and make sure I was comfortable with and actually interested in the position.

Research Assistant I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Harvard University (Boston, MA).

Interview

Recruiter set me up with interview. Interview was quick. Took tour of lab and introduced me to other employees in lab that I would be working with and explained study that I would be helping.

Interview Questions

• What scientific background do you have that relates to cardiovascular disease or scientific techniques that would help improve the lab?   Answer Question

Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Harvard University.

Interview

Applied online. On the day of the interview, met several people for 30min or so throughout the day. Had a follow up interview with couple of other people on another day. Interview questions were mostly prior work experience related and approaches to solving current problems, there were some behavioral type questions, but not a lot. The whole process was completed within few weeks.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Be aware of the grade scales for the advertised positions when discussing salaries. Also good to discuss and find out career growth and development paths prior to expecting offer.

Program Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Harvard University in February 2014.

Interview

I had two interviews, one with HR and one with the group. The HR interview was very basic, asking if I had questions about the benefits of working at Harvard, briefly talked about my resume. The actual job interview was with a panel of 3 people.

Interview Questions

• A lot of questions about my career path and justifying my previous positions. A few behavioral/hypothetical scenarios, how would I react etc.   Answer Question