Harvard University Interview Questions

Updated Sep 11, 2014

2.8

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3+ months - interviewed at Harvard University in December 2012.

Application through the departments. Of course you will need the GRE and good academic preparation from your undergraduate school. Letters of recommendation and some experience in research will take you far. Once submitted, each department will review the applicants and they are invited for interviews.

Network Engineer Interview

I went in to the building and then checked into the desk. Then after that I went through the door and went into the office. He asked questions about networking.

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Harvard University.

I applied online and was contacted a week later to schedule a phone interview. The 30-minute interview was with an HR rep, who informed me that if I was to move on in the process I would begin speaking with the actual managers. I was told to expect a response within 2 weeks, but never heard anything back until I sent an email inquiry, after which I was told I would not be moving forward in the process.

I sensed that the interviewer was not given sufficient information about the position and desired qualifications, leading to a disconnect between HR and the team's management.

Researcher Interview

took 4 weeks. interview was easy. not selected likely because of fit issue.

Staff Assistant II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Harvard University in July 2013.

Extremely rigorous interview process; six separate ones at different levels before offer made.

Interview Questions
    • How long do you see yourself remaining in this position?   View Answer
    No negotiation, but they offered the minimum of what I had determined I would accept, so negotiation was not necessary.

Program Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied in-person - interviewed at Harvard University in August 2010.

I was contacted by an HSPH faculty member who was interested in creating a position in the field of international public health tobacco control. We discussed the position in detail and created an opportunity that would allow me the flexibility to also pursue a mid-career program at the Harvard Kennedy School, which I completed in May 2012.

Interview Questions
    • What is your biggest challenge and how do you address it?   View Answer

Campus Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Harvard University.

Applied late spring. Got a Initial phone interview a little over a month later, and then set a time for a face to face with two rounds of supervisor interviews. A lot of questions about how to handle hypothetical difficult situations. And how you have handled difficult situations in the past. A lot of character questions and will probe for the basis of your motivation for the job.

Grants Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Harvard University in August 2013.

I applied online in early August and first contact was made 3 weeks later. A recruiter's assistant contacted me to setup time for a phone screen with the h/r recruiter.

The phone screen lasted about 30 minutes and all the standard questions were covered. I thought the screen went well and the recruiter told me that while she could not make any promises, as ultimately the hiring manager would decide who to invite in for an in person interview, I definitely had the background and skills they were looking for and she would recommend me for the next stage. She indicated the process was slow and also inquired about any other positions I was considering and my availability to interview.

That week, I followed up with a thank you note and a question about the position. No reply.
    I followed up 3 weeks later as to the status of the position - I indicated that I was still very much interested but had been invited to another interview and asked if I was still a candidate for the position. No reply. The online system indicated that my resume was "under review".

I realize the job market is competitive, and I have no problem with not making the second round, they likely had a big pool of qualified candidates. That said, given the context of how things were left and that the recruiter simply ignoring follow up emails left a bad impression of both Harvard the department. How much time does it take to reply to an email?

As a result of this experience, I withdrew all of my applications from Harvard and ended up pursuing (and ultimately accepting) a position at another university.

CNS Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Harvard University in April 2012.

Applied through OCS and received an email within a few days. Very brief, fit interview. Extremely informal. They know you can run basic operative functions on a computer, so they are just making sure you have communication skills.

Interview Questions
    • Just basic fit questions. A little background work is a plus.   Answer Question
    Very flexible. The wage is set, but the hours are incredibly flexible. You set your schedule.

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Harvard University in July 2013.

Initial contact was through an email inviting me to a group interview. There were two interviewers (senior staff administrators) and four interviewees. We were given impromptu questions about our previous experience, inquiries about particular instances of success and failure, and then given a critical thinking exercise.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of how in a difficult situation you came up with an innovative problem-solving technique.   Answer Question