Harvard University Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014

2.8

Financial Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Harvard University.

I had to interview with 5 managers for my current position. A lot of behavioral questions. I also, had to take a math test, an excel test, and a writing test. I am not sure if this is required in most other departments though.

Interview Questions
    I negotiated for my salary. They seemed to be reluctant in the beginning, but after a few calls we decided on a number. Obviously there is a range that they have, so you have to be prepared to explain why you think you are worth so that you can negotiate your salary as high as possible. Have some concrete facts about the industry, and a similar position. It's very helpful.

Grants Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Harvard University in August 2013.

I applied online in early August and first contact was made 3 weeks later. A recruiter's assistant contacted me to setup time for a phone screen with the h/r recruiter.

The phone screen lasted about 30 minutes and all the standard questions were covered. I thought the screen went well and the recruiter told me that while she could not make any promises, as ultimately the hiring manager would decide who to invite in for an in person interview, I definitely had the background and skills they were looking for and she would recommend me for the next stage. She indicated the process was slow and also inquired about any other positions I was considering and my availability to interview.

That week, I followed up with a thank you note and a question about the position. No reply.
    I followed up 3 weeks later as to the status of the position - I indicated that I was still very much interested but had been invited to another interview and asked if I was still a candidate for the position. No reply. The online system indicated that my resume was "under review".

I realize the job market is competitive, and I have no problem with not making the second round, they likely had a big pool of qualified candidates. That said, given the context of how things were left and that the recruiter simply ignoring follow up emails left a bad impression of both Harvard the department. How much time does it take to reply to an email?

As a result of this experience, I withdrew all of my applications from Harvard and ended up pursuing (and ultimately accepting) a position at another university.

Staff Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Harvard University.

I applied online through Harvard's online application system. I received a phone call one week after application submission, from the position recruiter, asking to schedule an initial 30-minute phone interview. The recruiter scheduled the interview to occur exactly one week from the time of this scheduling conversation (i.e. two weeks after application submission). While I declined to continue after the first round phone call, the recruiter had indicated subsequent steps would involve a phone or in-person interview with management and then a phone interview with HR.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were quite standard: Tell me about your education and experience; Describe a difficult situation you've encountered in the workplace; How do you handle change in the workplace, i.e. staffing changes?; etc.   Answer Question

I was offered an opportunity to interview in the second round, but I declined due to salary needs.

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Harvard University in July 2013.

Initial contact was through an email inviting me to a group interview. There were two interviewers (senior staff administrators) and four interviewees. We were given impromptu questions about our previous experience, inquiries about particular instances of success and failure, and then given a critical thinking exercise.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of how in a difficult situation you came up with an innovative problem-solving technique.   Answer Question

Staff Assistant II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Harvard University in July 2013.

Extremely rigorous interview process; six separate ones at different levels before offer made.

Interview Questions
    • How long do you see yourself remaining in this position?   View Answer
    No negotiation, but they offered the minimum of what I had determined I would accept, so negotiation was not necessary.

Research Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Harvard University.

I applied online and received an email about 3 weeks later asking me for a phone interview (I was based on the West Coast at the time). The interview questions were fairly basic - lots of questions about transferable skills (ability to understand and communicate research findings, manage projects, work with faculty) but no real content-based discussion. The second phone interview came about a month later with the same person I originally interviewed with and the center Executive Director. Largely a rehash of the first interview. Finally, they flew me out for a day to see the office and meet them in person. No other members of the team were there, and I didn't have to answer any questions - just basically listened to them talk. All in all, the most frustrating part of the process was definitely the lengthy process - pr over 2 months when all was said and done - and then they asked me to move across the country within 2 weeks.

I negotiated for moving expenses and they covered them. Salary was very fair, and benefits are great.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Harvard University in June 2013.

It was one day entire day interview process.

First, you will usually have a meeting with PI. Then, you will start to meet with other people in the lab.
    They will have a crew of people to have a lunch to talk with you as well.
    Then, you will give a presentation about your research. After that, you will meet more people.

It is a set format, but vacation time was flexible.

Faculty Assistant III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Harvard University.

Application via the Harvard Website - Group Interview (4 candidates and 2 interviewers - Individual Interview (2 Interviewers) - 90 minute skills test (testing copy editing, internet research, powerpoint) . It takes a long time to hear back from the online application , and then it all happens rapidly.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were all behavioral-interview questions. Perhaps the toughest questions always involve past criticisms of your work.   Answer Question

Multiple Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Harvard University.

Applying online is very easy. Phone screening by HR, followed by one or multiple interviews (depending on school and department) with hiring team. Study Behavioral Interviewing as it is the preferred format of interviewing at Harvard. I found the most helpful thing in getting jobs at HU was displaying passion for the position. HU relies on having people who are VERY dedicated.

Once you are in, you are in. Transferring is very simple and it is easier to get an interview if you are a current employee. If you are a member of the union, they can assist in getting you interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Anything starting with "Tell me about a time..." Luckily I had studied some talking points because for every job I have held at HU, these have been the types of questions asked.   View Answer
    Not a lot of negotiation. If you have other offers, you can get them to pay you more. A lower percentage of people get hired at HU than get accepted to go to school there, so unless they LOVE you, you do not have a lot of leverage.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Harvard University in April 2013.

The interview included a Skype session at first, then a lab visit including a presentation followed with Q&A, a tour of the lab spaces as well as the Harvard shared facilities (the Center for Nanoscale Systems).