Harvard University

Updated Nov 10, 2014

2.8

Faculty Assistant III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Harvard University.

Application via the Harvard Website - Group Interview (4 candidates and 2 interviewers - Individual Interview (2 Interviewers) - 90 minute skills test (testing copy editing, internet research, powerpoint) . It takes a long time to hear back from the online application , and then it all happens rapidly.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were all behavioral-interview questions. Perhaps the toughest questions always involve past criticisms of your work.   Answer Question

Multiple Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Harvard University.

Applying online is very easy. Phone screening by HR, followed by one or multiple interviews (depending on school and department) with hiring team. Study Behavioral Interviewing as it is the preferred format of interviewing at Harvard. I found the most helpful thing in getting jobs at HU was displaying passion for the position. HU relies on having people who are VERY dedicated.

Once you are in, you are in. Transferring is very simple and it is easier to get an interview if you are a current employee. If you are a member of the union, they can assist in getting you interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Anything starting with "Tell me about a time..." Luckily I had studied some talking points because for every job I have held at HU, these have been the types of questions asked.   View Answer
    Not a lot of negotiation. If you have other offers, you can get them to pay you more. A lower percentage of people get hired at HU than get accepted to go to school there, so unless they LOVE you, you do not have a lot of leverage.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Harvard University in April 2013.

The interview included a Skype session at first, then a lab visit including a presentation followed with Q&A, a tour of the lab spaces as well as the Harvard shared facilities (the Center for Nanoscale Systems).

Senior Analyst Interview

Informational interview, then position created

No negotiation, standard salary

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Harvard University in March 2013.

1) 30 min Phone Screen
    2) 3 rounds of in-person interviews (first round was scheduled approximately 2 weeks after the initial phone screen, with the subsequent rounds ocurring over a three week period.

Interviews were each 30-45 mins in length and encompassed an individual from every department that the role would ultimately interface with. Interviewers generally asked insightful questions.

Interview Questions
    • largely general questions on experience, how it fit with the role and a few behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Staff Assistant III Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Harvard University.

The hiring process at Harvard takes a really really long time. For my current job, it took over 2 months from when I submitted my application to when I receive an offer. The interview process differs from school to school with the University; but for my position, I had an interview over the phone, 1 with the hiring manager, 1 with the hiring manager's manager, then a Word and Excel test. A week passed between each of these interviews.

The interview questions are standard behavioral interview questions: tell me about yourself, tell me why you are interested in the position, tell me about a time when you..., what would you do...

Interview Questions
    • What would you do when you disagree with your manager?   Answer Question
    I asked for a higher salary but was turned down. A signing bonus was offered instead which I took.

Admissions Officer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Harvard University.

Job posting on Harvard Jobs website, tend to prefer people with background in either Admissions or Harvard University

Post Doc Interview

I contacted my current employer via email and she responded very quickly. It was all about having the right skills that she was looking for. Find skills that are sell able.

Interview Questions
    • Everything was pretty much what I expected. They were trying to determine if I was right, well selling the school at the same time.   Answer Question
    The salary is set by the NIH.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Harvard University in February 2013.

This depends on the group you will work and your PI. I had no big issues. The interview was more a chat than an interview, since I brought my own fellowship.

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Harvard University.

I was hired as a temp into to a lower level staff position and worked my way up. As such there was no official job interview. I was asked to stay on after a month of temping.

Interview Questions
    • Will you increase your typing speed (surprising, as it had never been an issue.)   Answer Question
    No neogitation. An offer was made and I accepted.