Harvard University

Updated Nov 10, 2014

2.8

Director of Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Harvard University.

Interviewed with the head of the office, with future co-workers, and with 4 faculty members who would be my "clients"

Interview Questions
    • Nothing specific, everyone wanted to understand how I approached people and problems   Answer Question
    I was able to get a slightly higher starting salary

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Harvard University in January 2013.

There is no interview for Harvard Kennedy School, so it is helpful to hire someone to help craft the essays. All the essays should have a common theme and support the reason why you want to attend HKS. Speaking to alumni and professors ahead of time is very useful. I would definitely recommend a school visit.

Interview Questions
    • The essay questions leave a lot of room for creativity, so think out your answers carefully. I recommend hiring a coach to help you craft the essay.   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Harvard University in December 2012.

Application through the departments. Of course you will need the GRE and good academic preparation from your undergraduate school. Letters of recommendation and some experience in research will take you far. Once submitted, each department will review the applicants and they are invited for interviews.

Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Harvard University in December 2012.

Casual and thorough.

My interviewer was a very good listener and took detailed notes. She asked several generic questions to start conversation but also asked insightful ones pertaining to my background as she became more familiar with it.

Interview Questions
    • What class or experience in high school did you not like?   Answer Question
    I got the offer, but as this is undergraduate admissions, I have not yet committed and have applied to other schools to decide whether the financial and student life aspects will be the right fit for me. The reception following acceptance was helpful for getting questions answered by current and former students.

Faculty Assistant In School of Public Health Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Harvard University in October 2012.

Applied online and received an email for an in-person interview 2 weeks later. This interview was 1:1 with a Director. Pretty standard questions, lasted 45 minutes. I was contacted about 1-2 weeks later for a second interview, which was with the same Director, the current Faculty Assistant and an Associate. Again, easy and standard questions. This was followed up with a writing exercise.

After 2 interviews and a writing exercise, I never heard from them again. I emailed the Director 2 or 3 times with no response. I also learned that they hired an individual with a BA with no experience in this specific field when they specifically told me they wanted someone with a Master's. Overall, very unprofessional experience.

Interview Questions
    • Standard interview questions - Why are you interested in this position? How does your experience align with the specific responsibilities of the position?   Answer Question

Teaching Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Harvard University in October 2012.

Most behvavioral questions. I met with the course instructor. I was referred to her by a past teaching fellow and promptly forwarded my resume for her perusal and approval. I was asked about my prior teaching experiences, why I want to be a tutor, what I think my teaching strengths and weaknesses are etc.

Director, Educational Technology Group Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Harvard University in April 2012.

Interviewed with group director, CTO, project managers and staff. Internal process as I was already an employee at HBS.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a faculty member freaks out on you?   Answer Question

After having worked with faculty in the past - I didn't want to do so in the future b/c they are hit or miss (I worked with GREAT faculty and lucked out - many aren't so good).

CNS Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Harvard University in April 2012.

Applied through OCS and received an email within a few days. Very brief, fit interview. Extremely informal. They know you can run basic operative functions on a computer, so they are just making sure you have communication skills.

Interview Questions
    • Just basic fit questions. A little background work is a plus.   Answer Question
    Very flexible. The wage is set, but the hours are incredibly flexible. You set your schedule.

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Harvard University in March 2012.

First off, I was not given a job description by the staffing agency. So I was given the job description only 10 minutes before the interview. The person interviewing me had been at this particular office for 16 years. She wanted to know primarily when you would ask for help. I would advise other candidates for this type of position to ask lots of questions about the position and culture of the office.

Interview Questions
    • You have several people waiting for you, how would you respond to people waiting in line?   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Harvard University in February 2012.

The H.R. representative kept me waiting for a long time before I was invited into her office. She asked me almost no questions. She had very little to say about the job. She acted completely uninterested. I later discovered that she hired an internal candidate. I don't know why they even bothered to interview me! It was a big waste of my time.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked very generally about my previous experience.   View Answer